Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For the season St Anton vs Valdisere

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

For the past week I have been tearing my hair out trying to decide which place to spend the season. I have skied both resorts extensively and love them both...However I have never worked in either them. My role is exactly the same. But for different companies... St Anton is with VIPSKI and Valdisere is with Esprit. Which is best for seasonal powder? I am looking for peoples opinions and any assistance will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Steve
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For powder, St Anton.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never been to Val, but St Anton is cracking for a season, and the VIP staff I've come across have all seemed to enjoy themselves. If you go Anton, VIP are based up the Gastig/Stadle end of town, although have a couple of chalets at the Nasserein end of town.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Matt, have you been to both? From reading the snowfall history, St Anton has a higher upper slope snowfall?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Anton coz u cant spel Valdisere Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
steve88 wrote:
Which is best for seasonal powder?

Luck of the draw for that particular season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
steve88 wrote:
Thanks Matt, have you been to both? From reading the snowfall history, St Anton has a higher upper slope snowfall?

No I haven't been to VDI, but the NW corner of Austria - Arlberg, particularly Warth, Lech and Stuben - usually gets the most snow in Europe.

Even last season, which was below average for the Northern Alps, Warth got over 8m of snow at 1670m.

More info in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119242

Pertinent quotes:

Quote:
Nearly all northern Alpine resorts experienced below average snowfall. In the French Tarentaise, Arc 2000 saw just 3.50m (average over 6m) while Val d’Isère (1850m)saw 4.00m, (average a little over 5m).

Quote:
Further west, Lech (1450m) clocked 5.60m (average around 7.00m), and nearby Warth-Schröcken claimed 8.25m at 1670m (average 10.6m) making it this year’s winner of “snowiest ski resort in the Alps” – at least at/close to resort level.

Of course it depends season on season, but your best chances of scoring regular pow in Europe are normally in NW Austria/East Switz. Or Andermatt - the Gemsstock seems to be a bit of an anomaly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
val has far more skiing above 2500 m giving better snow late on but parts of St Anton have the highest snowfall I the alps - the stub en pass I'm reliably informed. luck will play a huge part.
Both resorts are full of British and people who ski hard and party hard.
from what I remember St an tons best off piste bit requires you to have a guide with you whereas e K is a bit more do as you please.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For lift served off piste both are fantastic. Both get huge snowfall. Hard to say. Personally I would probably choose Val D'Isere for the skiing and St. Anton for living, but it's really just a question of marginal preferences.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both are great. St Anton / surrounding area gets more snow and has more woodland for storm skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@steve88, Go with VIP to St Anton. Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Esprit in Val!!!!! Doesn't that mean rich little brats!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anton everytime Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How do the jobs compare?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St Anton every time, skied 20+ weeks in the 90's in Val, never been back since about 2002 when we went to give is a retry and realised we're in no rush to return, skied last 50+ weeks in St Anton, infinitely better ski area and snow, and lift system is chalk and cheese......VIP good company too.
latest report
@Markymark29, discussion over Smile
latest report
@pam w,

The jobs are the same KP/NP....I'm starting to lean towards Val as the hotel is literally in the centre of town very close to the lifts, somewhat annoys me that St Anton is cut off by the valluga.... I wish they would build a lift over it....
ski holidays
steve88 wrote:
@pam w,

The jobs are the same KP/NP....I'm starting to lean towards Val as the hotel is literally in the centre of town very close to the lifts, somewhat annoys me that St Anton is cut off by the valluga.... I wish they would build a lift over it....

They are, not over the Valluga, but they are connecting Alpe Rauz, Stuben and Trittkopf. Not that it makes much of a difference, easy to get there using the free bus, by time you've finished work in the morning you've missed the busy time in the morning, and day off if you get up first thing, you beat the crowds.
ski holidays
@Sitter, +1.......its a very small issue IMO, its just a case of being organised and getting out early and being down to Rauz by 9.30 (awesome run from top of Schindler or Ulmerhutte wakes you up!), then you've got a full day over in Zurs/ Lech. We only ever go over there for 1-2 days a season, rest is all round Anton, so much to go at. We ski into Lech/ Zurs more when we are based in Warth, the new Auenfeldjet link there is brilliant.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@Sitter, +1.......its a very small issue IMO, its just a case of being organised and getting out early and being down to Rauz by 9.30 (awesome run from top of Schindler or Ulmerhutte wakes you up!), then you've got a full day over in Zurs/ Lech. We only ever go over there for 1-2 days a season, rest is all round Anton, so much to go at. We ski into Lech/ Zurs more when we are based in Warth, the new Auenfeldjet link there is brilliant.

Same with Sonnekopf too, went over there one day, heading down to Rauz going from piste marker to piste marker the vis was that bad, hit the top of the t-bar to Valfagehr and it was perfectly clear. Only people at the bus stop were other season staff with the same idea. Can't wait to be back out there.
ski holidays
St Anton all day long for Pow & exceptional Apres Ski but VDI takes Apres Ski to another level ie Le Folie Douce and is a great Base (Espace Killi Region, with Tignes). It's all down to preference and luck of the lovely snow flake.

snowHead
ski holidays
@Sitter, Agreed, Sonnenkopf is an awesome ski area too, you out there next season?
ski holidays
@Markymark29, I am indeed, living in Pettneu tho. Hoping for a good snow year and making the most of my time on the hill, possibly skiing more than boarding as I've been getting right back in to larking around on two planks as opposed to one this summer Puzzled
snow conditions
@gravystuffing, oi!

@steve88, I've only been to St Anton once and Val d'Isere a few times. I think the off-piste in Val is more extensive but my trip to St Anton was marred by lack of snow. The Duc is nice and close to the piste and you can get to pretty much the whole of EK from there. My memory of St Anton was buses and early morning slogs to the lifts. I've rather taken to Val and I'm going back with Esprit this year. So if you choose Val I will celebrate/commiserate your choice with you in January! Unless you're in that posh new place, that is.
ski holidays
St. Anton is really an awesome place to ski!
ski holidays
@Sitter, Welcome back from the dark side eh?! wink

@henzerani,
Quote:

I think the off-piste in Val is more extensive

Shocked
snow conditions
@Markymark29, I take it you are amazed how right I am? Very Happy
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Sitter, Welcome back from the dark side eh?! wink

Ask me again when the lifts are open and the powder days start!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guys, it has started snowing in Austria today, so the season could start earlier as expected since the summer was so hot!
ski holidays
@SchneiderC, Laughing it's a nice thought, but this snow won't stick around for long (other than the glaciers). It's normal to get a big dump or two in Sept and Oct, but (other than steep, protected, shaded slopes) nothing really sticks until November at the earliest.
ski holidays
@henzerani, not amazed, just surprised, each to their own. Espace Killy is a good ski area but nowhere near near same quality skiing as Arlberg.
latest report
SchneiderC wrote:
Guys, it has started snowing in Austria today, so the season could start earlier as expected since the summer was so hot!

There is a whole bunch of snow in Tirol, so first people are already getting ready for the season to open. That was unexpected tough!
latest report
St Anton without a doubt.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@henzerani, not amazed, just surprised, each to their own. Espace Killy is a good ski area but nowhere near near same quality skiing as Arlberg.
Disagree with that. Espace Killy is an amazing ski area, equal in every way to the Arlberg. Given the choice I would probably prefer to ski in Val D'Isere over St.Anton, but there's not much in it.
latest report
One good thing about St Anton is that it is on the railway. If you are skiing a whole season I think it's good to take a day off from time to time maybe just for a rest or, if the conditions are not much or maybe to rest an injury.

A day out to Innsbruck for example is very easy to do and I am sure there are other places easy to get to by rail.
ski holidays
@Steilhang,
Quote:

equal in every way to the Arlberg

You sure?.....How about investment in lift infrastructure? The lift system in EK hasn't had significant investment since the Alberville Olympics in early 90's has it? Arlberg is adding better infrastructure every year, eg Rauz/ Trittkopf/ Albona project 2016, soon after Galzigbahn, Rendl, Nasserein, Tanzbodenbahn, Auenfeldjet, Valfegehrbahn etc? List served freeride is IMO not as good in EK compared with Arlberg, there's much more hiking. Mountain restaurants are of a lower standard, ski guides and ski schools better, après is not on same page, and access via Alberville/ Moutiers/ Tarentaise funnel is a real pain compared with access from Bregenz or Munich. Also Arlberg lift pass is cheaper isn't it?
snow conditions
richjp wrote:
One good thing about St Anton is that it is on the railway. If you are skiing a whole season I think it's good to take a day off from time to time maybe just for a rest or, if the conditions are not much or maybe to rest an injury.

A day out to Innsbruck for example is very easy to do and I am sure there are other places easy to get to by rail.

The rail link is a big plus, especially when cabin fever kicks in. Innsbruck as has already been mentioned, Bludenz for a half day, ditto Landeck, little further afield there is Bregenz and some even did Zurich. Having said that, VIP have a minibus, not too sure what usage staff have for getting out and about (I know Esprit do in a lot of resorts too, but not supposed to be for staff jollys)
snow report
@Sitter, people do day trips to BLUDENZ?! Feldkirch (and Landeck, just about) I can understand, but Bludenz?!
ski holidays
@clarky999, yeah Bludenz not exactly Salzburg is it?!
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Steilhang,
Quote:

equal in every way to the Arlberg

You sure?.....How about investment in lift infrastructure? The lift system in EK hasn't had significant investment since the Alberville Olympics in early 90's has it? Arlberg is adding better infrastructure every year, eg Rauz/ Trittkopf/ Albona project 2016, soon after Galzigbahn, Rendl, Nasserein, Tanzbodenbahn, Auenfeldjet, Valfegehrbahn etc?
Hard to argue that EK lifts infrastructure is not first class, including 2 underground railways, and the massive Bellevarde gondola, the likesbof which I have not seen in St Anton
List served freeride is IMO not as good in EK compared with Arlberg, there's much more hiking. I am not sure I agree. In fact my impression is that both areas get v quickly tracked, but accessible stuff in St Anton gets tracked fastest
Mountain restaurants are of a lower standard
I won't defend EK here but they aren't that bad
, ski guides and ski schools better,
That's completely unsubstantiated. There is a massive choice of ski schools in EK, some of which are extremely high standard
après is not on same page
It is not. Is that good or bad..?
, and access via Alberville/ Moutiers/ Tarentaise funnel is a real pain compared with access from Bregenz or Munich
Agree
. Also Arlberg lift pass is cheaper isn't it? Dont know
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy