Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Tignes le Lavachet (mostly chair lift access)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

A group of us are planning a ski trip from 19th to 26th March 2016 and are looking to stay at Lavachet Lodge (website for reference) in Tignes Le Lavachet (we're mostly poor students, hence the choice of accommodation and the date).

I've heard mixed reviews regarding the location of Le Lavachet, though mostly regarding it being out of the way (despite this Lodge claiming to be ski in/out) We're a large group in our 30s and won't need any manic apres close to our accommodation.. one or two nice bars would do it. We do like to stop for a drinkie before heading home each day, though.

This is basically what I'd like to know:
1. What is the lift access like to the rest of the ski area from Lavachet? I'm imagining one lift to a "main/central" area then more lifts to the rest of Espace Kelly? But I'm also hearing talk of buses??
2. Can you ski down to Le Lavachet?
3. I absolutely *hate* carrying skis around with me... if skiing down to Le Lavachet is not likely, are there any locker facilities (or do any hire shops let you leave stuff overnight) in a more "central" area (I have no idea at this stage what "central" would mean... Le Lac, maybe?) That would make getting a bus around far more palatable...
4. What is Le Lavachet like for shops, bars and restaurants?

If anyone has first hand experience of the place, I'd be really grateful Smile

Thank you!!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you'll have no issues in Lavachet. stayed there last year and it was great. there are a few bars around however its a couple of minutes on the free bus to masion de tignes in le lac where there are a load of other bars and food places.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome, thanks!

So, you were mostly using the free bus for the nightlife, no need for piste access?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@STyler, You can ski back to the Lav Lodge (but you do have to walk 15 yards past the Brasero - so tricky to do without at least one beer). If you are up to the black run that is Trolles you turn right down the track on the last pitch. If you are coming from Palafour you need the free Rosset lift to get you high enough. But to be honest the bus from the centre is just as quick You cannot ski out of it - well perhaps you could it would be the off piste adventure of a lifetime and you would then have to swim the Lac Du Chevril. However, you only have to walk 50 m up a very gentle slope past the carpark and ski down to the Paquis and Chaudannes chairs from where the Espace Killy is your oyster. In sum you will not need lockers.

Pubs in Lavachet (assuming no change from last season) Brasero - live bands, range of ages, great staff and Braserie style food. Queue de Cochon - a smarter bar and reasonably posh restaurant rin by 2 Brits. TCs- part of the legend that is Lavachet - popular with seasonaires - a good student drinking den with burgers and full fries! There are a couple of very French restaurants - Grillotine and one whose name I can't remember. Oh and you only 5 mins by bus from Le Lac - lots of bars - the Loop being the main apres bar and Jacks - the cheesiest night club in the Tarentaise - but another legend. and 10 mins by bus from Val Claret which is club central.

There is a Sherpa supermarket which will cover anything you need for a week next door to the Lodge.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@STyler, Have a look at a map of the resort, for example https://www.tignes.co.uk/Tignes-street-map.pdf. From this you can locate your lodgings. You will notice two lifts at the bottom of Lavachet which will take you to different parts of the Tignes area. A further look at a piste map will show how these link into the rest of Espace Killy. It is really easy and by no means is Lavachet "out of the way" In fact I think it is rather convenient. Parhaps your reporter was mixing it up with somewhere else such as Le Chevril.

Your accomodation may be ski in/ski out but many such claims actually refer to a 10 to 100m walk from the door. I have never actually skied into my accomodation.

The bus is in fact very useful. I have on occaisions been up on the glacier and skied down to Val Claret after the last lifts have closed and simply got on the bus. Or been to tired to continue. Or had a drink. They are free, frequent and go a good route.

I do recall one nice bar in Lavachet (henry's or harry's), but the last I heard the name had changed. There are ma ny excellent bars in Tinges Lac just a short stagger away.

Since you are going more or less in mid season I imagine the snow will be excellent and you will have a good time
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@STyler, not exactly on the point, but I'm loving typo, re skiing in the "Espace Kelly". Makes me ponder what ski resorts would be like if they were run by the Irish!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have spent about 20 weeks in Tignes.
Mostly in Lavachet as it is cheaper.
Fear not. You will love it!
Now go and find the Piste perdue in Val!
You need an Espace Killy pass or a day upgrade to do that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've stayed in Lavachet, you'll be fine. Plenty of decent bars and restaurants around, a short walk to the nearest lift (Paquis iirc) which takes you into the heart of the EK, and you only need to do a little bit of the steep section of Trolles to ski home.

I stayed in the old Mark Warner Hauts de Toviere hotel (above Scotty's bar) a few years back and had a great time. I presume Scotty's is still there?

You'll have a blast. Don't miss the live bands at the Loup Bar.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've stayed twice in Lavachet. Quieter than Le Lac and Val Claret but it's close enough to Le Lac that it doesn't really matter.

Where you are staying is ski-in, and just a few minutes walk to the path to ski down to Paquis / Chaudannes chairs or the short drag lift up to the Le Lac crossover point.

Scottys Bar is right opposite Le Brasero at the end of the piste. It has a large south facing beer yard with a swimming pool (easily visible on Google satellite) so at that time of year it will be a great sun trap for a beer straight off the piste on a nice day.

Would also recommend La Ferme des 3 Capucines on your chalet host's night off. Its right down the bottom of Lavachet near the Chaudannes lift station. Book early, it is very popular.

You will love Lavachet. Great choice for Espace Killy on a budget. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks so much everyone, this is really helpful Smile

If anyone has any other recommendations to chuck it, we'd love to hear them Smile

(Hehehe, Espace McKelly)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HoneyBunny, @krankie, Scotties passed into history 18 months ago, it is now La Queue de Cochon (which it was many moons ago when brutalist architecture was all the rage!). The Hauts de Tov is now run by Alpine Elements.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, oooh I knew MW had got shot of the hotel, I didn't know Scotty's had gone too. I tend to stay in Val now, so I've not been back.

We always used to stop for an end-of-day beer at La Brasero, seeing as we skied virtually to the door it was difficult to walk past it and not go in LOL.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@STyler, Up to now no one has mentioned the main attraction of Lavachet Puzzled

It's where I live Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were trying to keep that quiet Stewart, for fear of Tignes being overrun with groupies😀
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stewart woodward, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, Never mind you - what about the Poubellemeter?

@GeorgeVII, Eh up lad, are ya booked yet?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy