Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. We are looking to go to Ellmau in January 2016. Can anyone give us views please? We are 4 sixty-somethings, 3 of whom are keen skiers and one non-skier who likes to walk. The skiers are happy on blues and reds and don't need a lively apres ski (indeed, try to avoid rowdiness). We recognise the Ellmau is low but hopefully it should be OK in January. Questions are:
What is the snow-making like?
Is the resort convenient for quick lifts, without big queues etc?
I think there is a funicular, but saw somewhere that it is being replaced with a chair?
Any other things that Snowheads think important...

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Big Dave, January should be fine. Snowmaking facilities are excellent, and as most of the skiing is on meadows, only a few inches of snow are needed. Too much snow could be a bigger problem, if the doomsayer forecasters are right ! Most of the lifts are fast chairs, and I cannot see that the replacement for the Hartkaiserbahn is likely to be slow.

Can't comment on the Ellmau nightlife, but one thing to watch is the Piste Map - lots of folk find it difficult to follow.

It is a super area to ski - linking into Westendorf via Brixen, and thence into Kitzbuhel via Key West run and the bus to Pengelstein.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Big Dave, Ellmau is a great centre to base yourself, especially if you have a non-skier. Contact either musher or ricfrench as they were both there February Half Term last season.

The funicular is being replaced with a 10-person gondola which should shift people up to the Hartkaiser in less than 9 minutes. It is one of my preferred entry points to be honest. As for being low, if you are used to French heights and are judging by them, simply add 300m to the height and you get a better comparison. Being further east and more continental the snowline is much lower in winter. I live at 700m about 30kms due north as the crow flies and we have snow usually from the end of November through to the end of April. Even last year we had snow most of the time, albeit not as much as usual.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Big Dave,
My daughter hated the funicular (for some reason) but otherwise loved the resort. The new lift should help reduce the queues out in the mornings, and there aren't any up the mountain. Blues and reds a plenty - just follow rickfrench not me or my kids unless you want to get lost wink

Stick around to February and we'll see you out there. Loads of the people we met in the hotel go every year so it can't be bad. We certainly intend to make it a regular half term trip.

PS. Hotel Hochfilzer - excellent for just about everything.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied there last Feb half term and really enjoyed it. Very good ski area and hopefully for you January will be quieter than Feb half term.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great scenery, tons of pistes and lifts and pretty villages. Some great prices on the slopes as well. In the right conditions it is intermediate heaven.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shame about the funicular though, as last year we finally managed to beat it to the bottom (albeit only because it slowed to a crawl as it entered the bottom station...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ousekjarr, time to start racing individual gondolas Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Piste View, that are twice as quick as the funicular (or maybe it's just the increased capacity wink )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We ski in the skiwelt every year, the trip from Wesetendorf to Ellmau is one of our favorite day trips. Make sure to go into the Rubezahl Alm for lunch (on the run down into Ellmau) it is an amazing building. According to the skiwelt web site the new gondola is twice the capacity per hour, so there should be no queue. As deerman said the snow making capability is 2nd to none and it can be covered completely in a few days. We have skied down pistes with cows standing on the side of them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hammerite, wax those planks Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were there very late season last year and despite the altitude and heat we still managed to ski top to bottom in every major village. In fact the pistes down to each centre are a joy. If you have a car it's well worth driving round towards Kitzbühel for a go on the Hahnenkamm (it's only very, very, very steep for the first 100 or so metres) but don't drive all the way as parking is problematic in town. There is plenty of parking and easy access at Kirchberg.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for your comments. Plans are firming up for January Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Big Dave, Ellmau is a fantastic resort, i myself will be returning for the 3rd time in four years for two weeks at the end of Janury 2016. The resort is very beautifull and the runs are absolutely fantastic. Altitude might be a problem early or late season, but in january there shouldnt be any concern, keep in mind that snowmaking in the ski-welt is probably the best anywhere. I skied in Ellmau january 2014, and although there wasnt any snow at village elevation, the pistes were in perfect condition and the skiing was fantastic! I agree with a previous poster that Hotel Hochfilzer is top notch, my wife and i always return there. I travel all the way from South Africa every year, so if im comfortable with Ellmau snow wise, thats saying something. Happy carving. Cheers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
been in january and in february, plenty snow and a resort i will always return to.
snow report
Passing Ellmau today, I stopped to have a look at the Hartkaiserbahn gondola, the new lift that replaces the funicular railway that was there. This was the view approaching the bottom station in the past.

But now this is the bottom station, a giant building. I'm not sure what all is going to be in it but I suspect, as well as the ticket offices, a ski shop and maybe underground parking.

Here is the view looking up the piste which leads down to the lift.

The next photo is of the main entrance to the lift. It looked to me as though there was still a good deal of work to be done to finish it, inside and outside, but I presume it is all planned to be completed in a month or so.

And, for old time's sake, here is a photo of the Hausberg chairlift, leading to Going (or back to Ellmau). It is still on the other side of the big car park.

latest report
@espri,
That will please the mushette. She hated the funicular.
snow report
Thanks everyone for comments. 6 of us are going to Ellmau on 9th Jan.
snow conditions
Was there Feb half term last year. Loved it.
snow report
+1 for Hotel Hochfilzer lovely people, a great lounge area with a great bar with music that is at the right level so that you can hold a conversation (how old does that sound!).

Does anyone know if they still do the ski school display team show on a (I think) Wed night?

If they still do it then is well worth a look.
snow report
We'll be going back to the Hochfilzer at half term - anybody else there?
snow report
ski school display was still on this year and it was still worth the visit. cracking evenings entertainment. love the hausbergbahn lift. we finished everyday this year timing our last run down to the bottom and a quick slide across to the hausberg as it was latest open until 530pm, then ski down from the top and cut through into the nursery slopes at ellmau through a car park down to the bottom. thinking about my two great holidays there i must just return next year as not booked anything yet and was looking at Italy
snow conditions
ski school display was still on this year and it was still worth the visit. cracking evenings entertainment. love the hausbergbahn lift. we finished everyday this year timing our last run down to the bottom and a quick slide across to the hausberg as it was latest open until 530pm, then ski down from the top and cut through into the nursery slopes at ellmau through a car park down to the bottom. thinking about my two great holidays there i must just return next year as not booked anything yet and was looking at Italy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy