Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cyst in finger bone...to ski or not to ski!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last season I hurt my right little pinky in an icy fall in Jan, and then again in March; of course I did not seek treatment, and over the intervening period it has got steadily easier to hurt again, so I decided to treat myself on my 50th birthday, and spend the day getting it looked at. I am a self employed landscaper, so obviously used to odd injuries and aches, and thought maybe some tendon damage or similar; however, I had been a little surprised at how easily the injury had been caused the 1st time, and thought, heck, that could have been my knee, or worse.
It turns out the bone has an aneurysmal cyst in it; treatment is slice it open, scrape it out, bone graft the hole. Does anyone have any info on this, or experience, as I failed to ask many questions when seen, and am currently awaiting a mri. (Will it get worse, consequences of doing nothing etc?) It seems a lot for a rather minor pain, including 6wks time off. My quiet season is winter, so ideally would get it done in Jan,..... but what about skiing? I need to book soon for early Jan ski, so my other half, and others, mostly female, have said just have it off, ffs. ( That sounds wrong, but you know what they are getting at )
Any advice, excepting amputation, greatly accepted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cstreat, after your MRI you should have another appointment with your surgeon to sort out what is to be done.
This time make a written list of all you want to ask. Take this list with you and make sure you get all the questions answered.
Also a good idea to take someone with you - wife/partner/whoever.

Meantime, have you tried googling "aneurysmal bone cyst"?
You will find lots of useful and helpful information. Like http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1254784-overview
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you; that link has given me plenty of questions to ask, and also shown me that there isn't a" put up with it" option. I have a GP friend staying, so I will have him explain the technical guff.
It seems rare enough to prevent any personal experiences being recounted here. Ho hum.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cstreat,

These are rare but in a small bone like the finger they can fracture easily.

I doubt you would be able to safely ski until it has healed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you. When I catch it on something, it feels like a fracture pain.....the only thing that I have broken is my sternum, and the pain is similar in nature, but thankfully much shorter in period.
Any clues on recovery time; 8 wks has been suggested. For example, will the whole hand be immobile during that time?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@cstreat,

It will depend on a few variables that cant really be guessed.

I would think unlikely to be healed much inside 8 weeks though, possibly longer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I`ve just heard that my wife`s nephew, who lives in Canada, has just been diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer, having complained of a problem for the last 4 years; he is 22, poor lad. Of course I shouldn't be thinking of myself, but my own problem has been listed as non urgent, the mri people had an incorrect hospital no. for me, and there is no clue if the wait is weeks or months, which makes work really hard to plan. My OH is firmly pressing for a private mri, which I am being a tight wad about; I guess that I am saving on no skiing !!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just found out it is an endochondral cyst; hoping to get a ski in before op Jan time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The cheapest place for private mri's is Cheltenham, we're geographically a little further away than you, so the journey isn't a massive drama. Just a few hundred quid (half the price of soton), in and out in an hour. I'll get more info for you later.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that info; I`ve got my mri booked in next week now, so that part is ok. Just wondering if I can afford a private op, so I can choose when, and get on with being self employed, and maybe skiing! I have already lost about 20% of my annual income through being unable to commit to jobs, which I need my hands to do!! Probably got a minium 2 month wait now, plus at least 2.5 months off work.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You ski with your feet mainly-so ski all winter.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If only
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still no date for op, but pre-op appointment next week. Is there a fairly routine period between pre-ops and ops? I`m trying to work out if I could squeeze a trip in late Jan, or have to wait til mid March.
The situation has also been complicated by being treated for Lyme disease; the 1st month of antibiotics ends on Tuesday, but I still feel seriously fatigued. Avoid ticks at all costs, as they can change your way of life dramatically.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy