Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Upgrading from throw-away gear

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from the cheapo Sports Direct stuff i bought initially. Turns out that stuff isn't built to last. I've been trying to look up the best way to upgrade to a better quality level of clothing etc. but it is very overwhelming.

I've been doing a lot of reading here and it seems soft shell is the way to go?

I was looking at the ARCTERYX Mens Alpha Comp Hoody (£134) as i read the brand was one of the best. Not sure if that is the best soft shell for around £100? much different to the ARCTERYX Mens Stingray (£200)? So many brands and options...

I am skiing in Val Thorens in January and I am wondering whether i will need a very thick fleece? I saw the ARCTERYX Mens Straibo Jacket in the same sale for £70. do i need to spend that much? Most of the good ones seem to hover around £50.

Basically, i am looking for something to replace my £50 Sports Direct insulated jacket for around £150-£200, but i gather with soft shell i will need a good fleece?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide in advance!
Olly
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always worth looking on sportpursuit.com for some quality stuff. VT in Jan can be positively Arctic. I layer up with thermal base, medium icebeaker mid layer then a lightweight down jacket under a hardshell. The down jacket is the best bit of kit for keeping me warm. Plus it doubles up as another jacket for going out at night.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@blueforests, You need something waterproof, windproof and warm, whether that be two or three layers or another, better insulated jacket.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@blueforests, check out Decathlon. High quality gear, great value for money. Especially for basic like base and mid layers. Colours sometimes a bit iffy.

But some of the high mountain guides are using it around Chamonix and if it's good enough for them...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would say most people layer up, with merino wool or other thermal base layers, mid-layer, fleece, waterproof jacket and salopettes. Good gloves are important too.

We buy a jackets and sallies from Surfanic which isn't expensive and does last.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've always been a fan of Westbeach gear for outer layers. Good spec, Useful features, Good price, lasts for ages and looks decent too.
The kids normally get Decathlon or Mountain Warehouse kit as they grow so fast, you don't expect more than a couple of seasons wear out of kit.

Lidl and Aldi do decent enough base layers for occasional use.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for the replies!

@Perty, been checking out the sportpursuit.com flash sales. that's where I found ARCTERYX Mens Stingray for £200. The description on the arc'teryx site is very confusing:

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&model=Stingray-Jacket

The item says 'Lightly insulated, waterproof, hardwearing GORE-TEX® jacket with 3L softshell construction and resort ready performance.'

but the description further down says: 'the Stingray is a tough, waterproof/breathable N70p GORE-TEX® hardshell with a warm brushed polyester backer that adds comfort and durability.'

I am confused as to whether it is actually a hardshell. this video seems to say it's a hardshell:
http://youtube.com/v/EPYuJoqkW2g This one say soft:
http://youtube.com/v/BGTKJ09cKvE

Both from Arc'teryx youtube...

I will look into icebreaker and down jackets. you think something like this: http://www.sportpursuit.com/veste-straibo-homme-bleu, baselayer and stingray, wont be enough for the climate?

Thanks!

@Layne will look into salopettes from Surfanic.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@blueforests,
Have you read Masque's gear guide?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally I'd look at a hardshell jacket, don't be too worried about brands arcteryx do make quality gear but you can get quality stuff for half the price. I've always worn baselayer, midlayer and shell jacket and I've never been cold even at -35. I've been wearing my quiksilver goretex jacket for 5 seasons and it's still great although this year I did fancy a change and picked up a patagonia jacket for 40% off in the sales.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does this look like a genuine good buy? Looking at used to mitigate the cost a bit?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARC-TERYX-Rush-Gore-Tex-Snowboard-Shell-Jacket-Men-s-Medium-Tan-Navy-w-RECCO-/281793981812?hash=item419c3aed74

Looks like it might be a slightly older model of Rush jackets? confusing as the jackets with the same name seem to change each season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will start looking at some of the other brands being mentioned Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Ebay white thing is probably a fake actually it must be so your out on a limb. Buy the Arc Stingray while you can in a size that fits your jan layers .
Your first thought is a excellent one the rest is far far less just don't mess the sizing up its easily done.
The Alpha comp is a athletes high energy dwr item the stingray has it all far more versatile .

The arcteryx "cut or fit" its life warranty and durability is £200 for 5 yrs plus use where as the other guff is highly debatable without the fit and durability that arc will have.
I think you would be saving nothing and run at a loss unless shopping experiences are your thing all the time .

If you want a new colour every season fine buy the cheap stuff none of it will fit like arcs jacket cut with layers expecially arcs layers matched to fit once its piled on at -25 with wind under active use .

I find general gear is sub standard under high use it wears and shows it ,you need knowledge to pick the gold out of the rough which considering the white ebay item suggested you may not have .
Cut your losses that you cant foresee.
The arc item is the one but I also think Franciums choice is excellent as its life warranty .
Very soon you wont have the luxary of sizes then you will be buying cheaper gear so the decision will be made .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arc' offer a lifetime warranty on their stuff based upon the "practical lifetime" of the item - & there warranty service is excellent & is actually very generous.

There's some great bargains currently on Sportpursuit but the sale's nearly offer & they'll only have limited sizes left. http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/arcteryx-mens-aug15

Noticeable bargains are a Rush hardshell jacket (XL only) for under £210, a Beta AR hardshell jacket (all sizes) for under £200, a Stingray hardshell jacket (all sizes) for under £210 & a Sabre softshell jacket (all sizes) for under £220 & a Thorium down jacket (XL only) for under £80 or a Cerium down jacket (S, L & XL) for £125.

The Stingray offering is confusing as it is a hardshell on the outside but with a very thin non insulating lining that takes the 'hardness' off the material - it's a kinda hardshell/softshell hybrid.

Personally I'd go hardshell & layer. I've just got my third shell (a Rush) after having two Sidewinders SV's. The first did 30+ weeks & I only changed it 'cause I wanted a hood that'd fit over my helmet & I sold the second one after just a few weeks use as I've lost a load of weight so I've dropped down a size in the Rush. If you buy at the end of season sales you can get sensible prices meaning value for money is second to none. The problem is that a lot of Arc' kit crosses over in to the climbing/mountaineering market so they don't really have an off season. All of the items on Sportspursuit are at least a couple of years old or have undergone recent changes etc.

I wear my hardshell with an Embers merino base layer & a breathable midweight fleece (Arc' Delta LT) most of the time & have a Arc' Atom LT jacket/vest in my pack if necessary. If it's really cold I'll swap the Atom for a Thorium down jacket. Down jackets aren't breathable so it either has to be very cold or if you're going to be waiting around a lot which is why instructors often wear them as a layer.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have loads of Arcteryx gear which always performs well, with anything in the SV range being bulletproof. Another option is Norrona, which can usually be picked at large discounts out of season.

Please be aware that websites selling fake Arcteryx (and other brands, such as Oakley), appear from time to time. If you find a site selling large amounts of the same 'Top' brand at huge discounts, be careful. I've found a couple in my time and reported them to Arcteryx, who then set their lawyers on them.

This is a typical example, trading at the moment with no phone number or physical address: http://www.arcteryxsaleuk.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I only had one outer layer, I'd have a hard shell. More useful in worst conditions.

Arc'teryx is awesome kit - my softshell is about 13 years old, although it's getting close to needing replacement. I didn't like their colours when I replaced my hardshell so went Patagonia. It performs well and is wearing OK and was about half the price. NB I ski around 60 days a year.

My previous hardshell was Mountain Hardwear and lasted 12 years including sailing trips, etc.

Marmot also is great kit and well priced. The OH and I both got "Spire" shell trousers last season and are liking a lot.

Lots of choice. And if you buy well, the initial outlay might be a bit steep but they can last a verynlong time indeed. P.s. Most of the big brands have very impressive guarantees.
ski holidays
I just bought the Mountain Hardwear Seraction jacket from Sportpursuit for 253e instead of around 550e full price !!!!. I put off " the change " to h/shell + layering until this year and I was really convinced on the Arcteryx and to be honest it was only the fit that made me plum for the Seraction and I tried on all the Arc jackets I was interested in before going for the MH . If they had fit me properly I would have gone for the Rush or the Sabre from Sportpursuit ( £220 instead of 450 is a steal) the colours are a bit mad but then the " Citron" Beta AR was a step too far Very Happy Best of luck with your shopping but I do come from the " you get what you pay for " camp. If you want the best spend a little bit more, you won't regret it .
snow report
One day I may be able to afford Naroma or Arcy Tereyx,
then I can stand tall at the bar or look kool, or even warm
on the gondola.
In the meantime I'll have to make do with something from TKMax.
And make do with an Arcy Terryx bobble hat, that my mum knitted.
snow conditions
Tog24 is worth a shout for value... Won't last forever but better than sports direct stuff and Trespass
My 2p is as waterproof shell as possible -
I use Nike procombat (hyper warm for cold days) for base layers (~£20 per top, £10-15 for leggings). Compression clothes are great for muscle recovery and keeping the blood flowing., with a cheap merino jumper or medium fleece then the jacket. Done me fine in -10 deg!
snow report
My recommendation is....

Warm under garments. TKmaxx. Aldi, sales etc

Waterproof trousers. for the snowy lifts... warm bums melt snow.

Down windproof jacket. When do you need a goretex jacket (I'm HYPOCRITE i have one).... well when skiing in the pissing rain. Otherwise, why go waterproof.If you don't intend to ski in the rain, why go waterproof.
ski holidays
@haigie, I thought I had heard that the science was in on compression stuff and it doesn't do anything?
ski holidays
Thanks a bunch everyone! I wen't with the Arc' Stingray (£210)... couldn't bring myself to dish out for the 'citron' coloured jackets, especially as i want to get some use out of it year round. got some icebreaker merino base layers and a good fleece.

Now I just need to delve into the rabbit hole that is Ski trousers... wish me luck. I'll focus on the waterproof shell, as people have suggested.

Thanks again!
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
.....Down windproof jacket. When do you need a goretex jacket......Otherwise, why go waterproof......

For the very lightweight & the superb breathability.
snow report
blueforests wrote:
Thanks a bunch everyone! I wen't with the Arc' Stingray (£210)...

Cool

blueforests wrote:
Now I just need to delve into the rabbit hole that is Ski trousers...

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/arcteryx-stingray-pant-touring-pants/?backlink=eyJ1cmwiOiJcL2JyYW5kc1wvYXJjdGVyeXhcL2Zvci0tbWVuXC8iLCJoYXNoIjoiMzNlNmExNTk1YTIxYWNiYTQwYjAxMTJiZGY5Y2RhNGYifQ==

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/arcteryx-sabre-pant-ski-pant-bf-bf/?backlink=eyJ1cmwiOiJcL2JyYW5kc1wvYXJjdGVyeXhcL2Zvci0tbWVuXC8iLCJoYXNoIjoiMzNlNmExNTk1YTIxYWNiYTQwYjAxMTJiZGY5Y2RhNGYifQ==

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/arcteryx-beta-sl-pant-hardshell-pants/?backlink=eyJ1cmwiOiJcL2JyYW5kc1wvYXJjdGVyeXhcL2Zvci0tbWVuXC8iLCJoYXNoIjoiMzNlNmExNTk1YTIxYWNiYTQwYjAxMTJiZGY5Y2RhNGYifQ==
snow conditions
Damn! Amazing site, completely missed this when doing my research. Thank you!

Almost wish i was an XL for the availability of gear. Sadly, the only one they had in Medium was the Beta SL. will 'Super Light' be good enough? the naming convention they use is a little confusing:

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/arcteryx-beta-sl-pant-hardshell-pants/

Looked at some alternatives on the same site, any stand-outs?:

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/arcteryx-psiphon-ar-pant-softshell-pants

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/mountain-equipment-arclight-pant-hardshell-pants/

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/arcteryx-gamma-ar-pant-touring-pants

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/black-diamond-dawn-patrol-touring-pant-softshell-pants

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/norroena-falketind-flex1-pants-touring-pants

Olly
ski holidays
blueforests wrote:
....http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/arcteryx-gamma-ar-pant-touring-pants....

These would be my choice, not a hardshell but superb value for money & unless it's really cold you probably wouldn't need a base layer.
latest report
Quote:
When do you need a goretex jacket (I'm HYPOCRITE i have one).... well when skiing in the pissing rain. Otherwise, why go waterproof.If you don't intend to ski in the rain, why go waterproof.

It's hard to avoid wet snow or rain unless you are some kind of jessie who never goes out unless it's a guaranteed bluebird day. And it get pretty grim, even just to make your way home, if you get dampness coming through your jacket.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, I am sure most of don't intend to ski in the rain.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, but it happens that it's raining at 1,000m and very fine powder at 2,000m ... and if it's chairlift access... it's sometimes unavoidable
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy