Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne day trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're veterans of February half terms in Val Cenis - and for the last few years have skied on the Saturday of arrival in Val Cenis - and then spend the last day of the week up in Bonneval. This year we have 8 days in total so thought we'd ski in either Valfrejus, La Norma or Aussois on the way up the valley, and then a day in Orelle/VT the following Saturday on the way back down.

Trouble is - I'm unsure which of Valfrejus, la Norma or Aussois to go for. Obviously as time gets closer weather/snow may well be the deciding factor - but want to canvas views from those 'in the know'! I ski with my kids of 14 and 12 - both adventurous skiers who'll ski everything put in front of them - but prefer steep blues and reds taken at speed. Off piste isn't important - as we get plenty of that in Val Cenis! I know there's not much difference between the three in terms of statistics, and that Aussois is mainly south facing..... but which has the best/most interesting intermediate slopes?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe consider somewhere like Le Corbier too, it doesn't take too long to drive up from St Jean de Maurienne and there is plenty of free parking.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With adventurous kids in tow I'd head straight for Les Karellis. There's a great variety of pistes available in a gem of a resort that isn't much of a drive up the hill.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Altis - Thanks - forgot about Les Karellis - heard good things about it several years back!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aussois is a great little place but won't excite the kids. You'd be better off doing Orelle/VT both times - basically on your route so no detour to get up a hill, plus normally easy parking and you will only scratch the surface in two days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
La Norma would be a great option... Good fast runs above the tree line... Although I have an apartment in Orelle, la norma is my fav. Les Karrelis and Le Corbier, although not too far, are a bit of a trek.

Aussios is better for less experienced and smaller kids.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stronjl, La Norma from Orelle in preference to 3V . . .. . interesting . . . .!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok I understand the scepticism because of the size but for a day out La Norma provides great fun; and the conditions are more consistent from my experiences...

Not to mention nearly half the cost for a day pass.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to Val Cenis for a week last March - and spent a day in each of Aussois, La Norma and Bonneval.

Loved them all - lovely weather and great snow. All very different ski areas but I'd recommend both Aussois and La Norma for at least a day and a nice change of scene. Both have fast cruising runs, though nothing extreme.

- Aussois has a pretty decent vertical, with some great fast cruising. In particular, there's a great blast of a red run from mid station back to village; and there are similar runs in an area over the back. Easy roadside parking and piste access.
- La Norma is bigger and quite varied, with some nice tree runs and great cruising. Some great runs at altitude with lovely views along the Maurienne valley. Found some good bumps too. Again, parking was easy enough, just a short walk from the lifts.

We found both areas to be very quiet with no queues. I reckon both would fit the bill.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy