Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back after femur fracture.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

As you know, I had a really bad ski accident nearly 2 years ago (fractured my femur) and haven’t been back since (my leg hasn’t been fit enough) – however, I’m thinking of going in January but really really nervous, Anybody got any tips other than sticking to easy runs or taking it easy for the first day or so (bah!).

Thanks

J
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jb1970, return to ski day with inside out skiing...they may do it at braehead.

How's your leg now?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Anybody got any tips other than sticking to easy runs or taking it easy for the first day or so

loads of exercises to get your leg muscles strong, as well as focus on balance/proprioception. And yes, I think some days on an indoor slope would be a good idea.

Welcome back! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jb1970,

After getting your strength back you need to deal with the nerves.

I run a Return to Ski day and have done for years.

Other have taken up the idea and i've seen some examples elsewhere.

Im afraid we do ours in Hemel which isn't that close but it does work.

Some SH have been on it so could vouch for/against whether it works or not.

We see you in advance to ensure you are going to be strong enough then come along on the day with myself, a physio and instructor.

You do just need to get back on skiis but in a way that you control as many of the variables as possible.

If you want more details pm me.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonathan Bell,

Are you running any Return to Ski Session prior to Christmas.

My return is from a broken femur in February, my orthapeadic surgeon has said not to ski at Christmas as it should be 12 months before doing so. It's that a general rule or is he just covering his back.

If I could ski Christmas on green and blues I'd be very happy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonathan Bell, what a brilliant idea/initiative.
You really are a great asset to Snowheads.
Keep up the good work Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jb1970, I came back from a similiar break of my femur. I was super nervous and it took many years to fully overcome it. I'd say take it steady, do what you are comfortable with and build up your fitness as much as possible.

I broke mine in a schuss and it took a long, long time before I was fully comfortable at speed in a tuck.

From memory I broke it in March 1993, had all the metalwork removed Dec(ish) 1993 and went skiing for two half days in Scotland at the end of the 94 season (actually was in May) just to see if I had the bottle to get back on skis. I did and went for a full week in March 95.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
@Jonathan Bell, said
After getting your strength back you need to deal with the nerves.

+1

I had a reasonably serious accident quite a few years back involving a heli trip and complete loss of memory of the incident. During the following year friends would ask "Are you going again? Is it wise?" etc. to which my genuinely felt standard reply became "of course, no problem, I don't remember a thing so nothing to be afraid of ".

First morning of the next ski holiday I thought that I would just start with a nice easy beginners slope just to get the feel back. Took the drag, got to the top moved across to the start of the slope and froze. I couldn't move, I was bewildered and totally confused by how an accident that I couldn't remember could affect me in such a way.

It took nearly 30 minutes of my wife gently talking to me, encouraging me all the way through using logic and insults for me to take my first tentative move towards and then down the gentle slope very slowly and carefully. Confidence gradually returned afterwards.

I would highly recommend getting snow legs and brain back by taking a course. Having said that, had courses and fridges been around when I had my accident I probably wouldn't have taken one because I didn't think I had an issue.

Good luck and happy skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy