Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Updated - opinions on Kappl please!

Poster: A snowHead
**Kappl now looks to be the favourite to try, would love to hear from others who have been! Thanks**

Looking for Austrian suggestions for half term....
For a family of 4, with two children aged 5&6 (who have skied for 2 weeks). We don't need a huge ski area as MrA and I are happy to clock up our miles on the same runs again and again, the priority would be to find somewhere with a good ski school and some good runs for us to be able ski with the children. We will be driving.

Having seen Stubai mentioned last year, and again in a recent thread, I have been looking there - but wondered if you knowledgeable lot could give a few more suggestions for me to consider. Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-09-15 11:08; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@annaa, You could consider fellow snowHead flangesax's place in Radstadt in the ski Amade region to the south east of Salzburg. Several snowheads (including myself) have stayed there and you are assured of a warm welcome from flangesax (Ben), his wife and their two young kids (not forgetting Lucy their friendly dog!). Apart from the skiing at Radstadt there is good skiing at nearby Flachau, Wagrain, Zauchensee and several other places included on the liftpass.

flangesax's website: http://www.austrian-adventures.com/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Alastair Pink, but I think that they may be slightly above our budget, especially as I'm aiming for us to go again in Easter. They look great though and would deffinately be somewhere to consider should we ever decide to take the kids in term time (I personally am more than happy too, but MrA is having a harder time rebelling against the strict holidays in term time rules!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@annaa, wherever you choose check your dates against the European School holidays calendar as the premium weeks will book up fast, if they are not booked up already. The fact that you have a car does give you are fair degree of flexibility. I'll second Alastair Pink's suggestion of Radstadt and flangesax's, pension, but I think they may well be booked up already so get looking and booking quickly! wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-09-15 19:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Part of the reason we are considering Austria at half term is down to the suggestion on SHS that it won't be as busy as normal as fasching (?is that what it's called?) doesn't fall in the same week this year. But yes, need to get looking and booking soon I agree!! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
annaa wrote:
Part of the reason we are considering Austria at half term is down to the suggestion on SHS that it won't be as busy as normal as fasching (?is that what it's called?) doesn't fall in the same week this year.

Oh no. The mushette will have to relinquish her krapfen eating trophy Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Westendorf is good for families, it is part of the huge skiwelt, but stands alone as a nice resort in itself. Ski school is in the village centre and there are some lovely runs to progress to (111 is beautiful). Probably busy at half term but they have a lot of Dutch and less UK Tour ops who tend to head for Soll, so if UK and Dutch holidays do not overlap you may get lucky. Try the tourist board website. You could also stay elsewhere in the Brixental area if you have a car which might be a cheaper option.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The best place to get away from the February half term crowds seems to be Italy, judging by some recent reports.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at the Montafon valley. Comparatively short travel time from UK and usually quiet at half term.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B wrote:
Have a look at the Montafon valley. Comparatively short travel time from UK and usually quiet at half term.

Quiet all bloody year Skullie

Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have googled - thanks Elizabeth B, clarky999, Any suggestion as to which resort/area in Montafon would best suit us?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 7-09-15 21:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Dutch tend to go for Soll instead of Westendorf????
Total nonsense! If there is any Austrian skivillage "in Dutch hands" it must be Westendorf. (there are a few others also actually)
Soll is for the English!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Think you misread Col the Yeti, Langerzug, he said that Westendorf has "a lot of dutch" and that the brits go for Soll....exactly what you said Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, and the Irish.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
annaa wrote:
Have googled - thanks Elizabeth B, clarky999, Any suggestion as to which resort/area in Montafon would best suit us?

Really you'd want to be based in Schruns, the others are all tiny. From Schruns you can ski the Hochjoch and Silvretta Nova areas without needing a bus, whereas from everywhere else you have to drive/take a bus if you want to ski any areas other than the 'local' one.
latest report
@annaa, Serfaus.
latest report
Pruman wrote:
@annaa, Serfaus.

+1

I've just booked a week at Hotel Lasinga from 19th March. Booked direct with them. Flghts seperately.

Chose the resort based on recommendations that the children's ski school is one of the best in Europe.

And loads of skiing, loads of variety, great snow record, 80% artifical snow coverage in case.

Some good deals here although haven't used the company

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/austria/serfaus-fiss-ladis/ski_deals.html

Alternatively look at the German resorts south of Munich.

I went to Wendelstein, Spitzingsee - Tegernsee & Sudelfeld during Feb half term. Didn't queue for more than a minute or two all week.

Cheap too. Stayed in Bayrischzell.

http://www.bergfex.com/sommer/wendelstein-bayrischzell/
http://www.bergfex.com/spitzingsee-tegernsee/
http://en.bayrischzell.de/winter-holidays/skiresorts.html
ski holidays
Have a look at Kappl. Spent 2 great family ski holidays there. Would return in a minute were it not for expensive flights from Scotland to Innsbruck. We stayed here http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/en/home.html and found it excellent. All the runs join up and are nice and long. Great for splitting up the kids at different levels and meeting again a foot of runs (with a parent on tow obviously ). Our kids did not use ski school but use a morning private tuition for youngest which was excellent.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone Smile Serfaus seems popular/doesn't have much by way of self catering apartments as my searches have not produced much, but Kappl looks extremely promising, thank you for the suggestion boabski. They seem very family orientated too, with free lift passes for under 8s and free children's ski hire if parents also rent equipment. Does anyone have any experience of the ski school?
ski holidays
annaa wrote:
Thanks everyone Smile Serfaus seems popular/doesn't have much by way of self catering apartments as my searches have not produced much,

https://www.drive-alive.co.uk/self_catering.asp?ResortOrNref=Serfaus-fiss-ladis
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
Have a look at Kappl. Spent 2 great family ski holidays there. Would return in a minute were it not for expensive flights from Scotland to Innsbruck. We stayed here http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/en/home.html and found it excellent. All the runs join up and are nice and long. Great for splitting up the kids at different levels and meeting again a foot of runs (with a parent on tow obviously ). Our kids did not use ski school but use a morning private tuition for youngest which was excellent.

Looks a great place. Thanks.
latest report
You'll rarely hear an English word spoken on the slopes so most of the kids in ski school will be German/Austrian etc. the teachers will of course speak English. My youngest was exactly the same age are yours when we went there (2 years running) and we only got him a couple of 1 hour private lessons. He had 2 weeks skiing under his belt and skied with my wife, my older 2 and I for the rest of the time. We liked kappl as it gave us the opportunity to split up - so I went down red/black with older 2 whilst my wife went down the blue. The runs all meet up mid mountain and at the base too. Personally I'm not a huge fan of ski school and have got 3 great wee skiers now - we hold them up Embarassed The lesson we did get was from an English guy funnily enough and was very good.
snow report
@Mike Pow, the food is excellent and amazing value. Zipfer on tap too. Himmell
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy