Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck vs Zurich for reliability in bad weather?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

Many thanks for all your kind help in advance.

I'll be flying to the Austrian alps a 3 times this winter (not all fun - some business!), and I'm thinking that I'll be better with Zurich given than Innsbruck is such a tricky airport to land/depart. Add in some bad weather, and I hear it can be closed.

Do any of you folks have any experience with this? Is Zurich much more reliable?

Thanks again in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kinda found the answer to my own question — Innsbruck can be pretty bad all things compared:

http://www.euclaim.co.uk/blog/flight-holdups-for-uk-skiers-euclaim-reveals-the-european-airports-with-the-highest-chance-of-delay

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/skiing-news/11371723/Worst-airports-for-delayed-ski-flights.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flown in and out just 3 times.

On one occasion Innsbruck was fog bound. We were diverted to Friedrichshafen, others diverted to Munich. We were on a tour operator trip so it led to lots of waiting around in a service station while those who had been diverted to Munich got to the same point (we were heading to the Dolomites so they didn't't want to do two trips).

Another time my bag didn't arrive on the concourse. But that was Gatwick's fault!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to fly to Zurich a lot and it is one of the most efficient airports, much better (and quieter) than Geneva for example. Milan was so unreliable that I used to go to Zurich & take the train down to Northern Italy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@welshskier, Yes, I'm tempted to go with Zurich, even though the train ride to St Anton is an hour longer.

More choices from a variety of London airports - including the amazing London City Airport. And cheaper prices.

And Swiss Air fly to Zurich — and they carry skis FOC.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PeDaSp, Innsbruck is tiny. And, if something goes wrong... You don't have many options.

From Zürich you do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Very good point. Thank you.

There are so many flights in and out of Zurich, that if my flight gets canceled etc., then there are other options to book.

And if I was to get diverted on my way in to Innsbruck, then I could end up in Munich and face a 10 hour bus ride!

And you must know what you are talking about because you used an umlaut. Smile Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been to Innsbruck last few winters, sometimes even two times per winter
No problems at all. Also had bad weather sometimes. Think things have become better with technology improving. Think the reputation is worse than the actual situation these days
A small and fast airport, with a nice serviced restaurant in "Thunderbirds" style. Highly recommended!
And St.Anton within an hour!
We did not like the train to Zürich, it is much slower (did that too once), and neither did we like the Airport
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, Thanks for that info. Zurich train is 1 hour and 10 mins longer; and slow can be frustrating.

But London City Airport connects to Zurich, and LCY is fab! Hard decision Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeDaSp, ha ha maybe I should have typed Innsbrück....

@Langerzug, while tech does help, I'm sticking to my "I'd rather have frequent alternatives daily versus one flight a week" approach...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I always think with these situations, what am I REALLY doing? And that is skiing, not enjoying airports or train rides. So the replacement flights available at Zurich, plus the better bad-weather availability, trump Innsbruck at the end of the day I think.

But folks here have been great, and I really appreciate your ideas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe we (Dutch) are in luxury position. Transavia does fly several times per saturday, and in fact everyday in winter, from both Amsterdam and Rotterdam to Innsbruck.
And exactly as you are saying: we fly from NL around 07.00 am, arriving in Innsbruck 08.30. Taxi or Train to the Arlberg: 10.30 coffee at the terrace of our pension, 11.00 ski-rental, 11.30 on piste
Couldn't manage that from Zürich, especially not by taxi or shuttlebus on saturday because of trafficjams. (road Innsbruck-Arlberg is empty)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, Sounds lovely! Especially if I was with my wonderful Dutch friends! Very Happy

Amsterdam to Zurich is about 10 mins quicker then to Innsbruck; and around EUR 95 cheaper return (lowest prices). There are also many more flight options, inc. Swiss where ski transport is free.

You take a tram from inside Zurich airport right into the main station, where you then swap platforms to take a train to St. Anton.

The train Zurich to St Anton is 1 hour 10 mins longer than Innsbruck to St Anton. So you'd be on the piste around 12:30 Cool Cool Cool

So not too much difference.

…and surely that should be "beer at the terrace of our pension"? Who drinks coffee after 8am?? Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've flown to both and while I've never had any problems at Innsbruck there really is NOTHING to do at the airport, so if you did get stuck there for any length of time you'd quickely get bored.

Oh, and when you land at Zurich you can just get off the plane, not wait around for busses to take you the 50m from the plane to the terminal!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The biggest flight diversion problem at Innsbruck is FOG Because of the approach between the mountains.
This happens a few times during the season. It is just
a matter of luck.

Innsbruck can handle snow, it can clear that quite quickly.

Zurich is not a problem . I have landed there in zero visibility.

Obviously the cost of the train ride from Zurich is more. I have done this journey probably 50 times and never get bored with the scenery.
ski holidays
Maybe Zürich+train indeed would work better for St.Anton. In Innsbruck the train is not at the airport.
But I'm talking Innsbruck+taxi+Lech.
(No bragging here Very Happy )

Additionally: Zürich fur us would mean KLM.
KLM is much more expensive most of the time. Transavia is low cost. (but still not really cheap on saturday Sad
But the main problem with Zürich (and Friedrichshafen, another Transavia option) is the traffic in the Rhine valley, up to the Arlberg.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:

But I'm talking Innsbruck+taxi+Lech.
(No bragging here Very Happy )

http://www.privatefly.nl/inspirational-jet-flights/ski-resorts/lech.html

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Innsbruck..... Pilots prospective

http://www.pprune.org/search.php?searchid=2955298

The Two approaches

http://youtube.com/v/k9kjrhhjOP8

http://youtube.com/v/UV_c_3RVe_k

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-09-15 10:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Zurich for reliability, and Innsbruck for convenience. Risk-reward consideration. That said, I have flown in via Innsbruck maybe 7x, ie when Lauda/Austrian used to fly to Australia, and never an issue.
latest report
@PeDaSp, Used Innsbruck last winter and although we didn't know it until we landed at about 4pm our flight was the last in that day. It was the same coming home, delays and uncertainty amidst heavy prolonged snow showers. As others say, it is visibility that is the problem, there was no lying snow in the Inn valley then, nor for most of last winter. When I asked the same question you do in advance of booking last year I was told that only certain airlines have the qualifications to land on instruments only at Innsbruck and that was mainly scheduled, maybe even only Austrian Airlines, alas I can't find the thread to check. Although we are going to the same resort this year we have DIY'd the holiday and are using Munich, primarily as there was no reasonable DIY flight option for Innsbruck but the uncertainty of Innsbruck was definitely a factor in deciding against the package holiday.
latest report
Private jet to Innsbruck and helicopter transfer to Lech. Now we're talking! Cool
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
Private jet to Innsbruck and helicopter transfer to Lech. Now we're talking! Cool

+1

(Now, the question is on how to become independently wealthy...)
snow conditions
By the way, the Innsbruck approach is even better in reality.
ski holidays
Hey guys. I had several flights to Innsbruck for some holiday and business trips. It was nothing but headaches for me - severe delays, various flight disruptions and even cancelled flights. Some of it was due to snow, fog and other weather stuff, but a few were caused by some technical problems

So a friendly tip : you should be aware that you should be treated well oncle you get your flight disrupted, ask the air lines for food, water and access to communication services, and if there are big delays or even cancelled flights, try filing a claim for a compensation : altough it takes some time to get it (if you are eligible, ofc) but it feels good to get that 400 euros compensation for the troubles :smile: I used a flight compensation company called SkyCop, and in the matter of a month or two, I got the compensation from them.

Since then I am flying with ease, because I know I can some money out of those delays and cancellations!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy