Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie Season Worker

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've managed to get a job as a Resort Floater/Maintenance Man with Silver Ski In La Plagne for the winter season.

I'm just looking for some pointers from you friendly folk on things to pack, be prepared for and things to watch out for. Basically an idiot proof guide of what I need before I go. It's a fair way from home to realise I've forgotten something so obvious to an experienced season worker.

Please, throw the blatantly obvious as well as the weird and wonderful suggestions at me, I want to make this as enjoyable an experience as possible.

Yours in anticipation....

Gareth snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well done.

Multiway extension socket.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@UnumPila, a season's supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen, costs about 40p a packet here and about £4 there!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@UnumPila, well done gareth, as an ex maintenance man for silver ski, admittedly nearly 20years ago and in meribel, though i had to go to la plagne from time to time to do bits and pieces, i could not recommend them highly enough. first thing first, take a duvet as bedding was not supplied and the amount of workers who got them sent out a week or two after arriving kept DHL in profit for years!!!!
don't buy new skis to take with you if you were thinking of it because skis are supplied for the season, i bought a brand new set that were left in the chalet boot room with a for sale sign on them for ages, you might as well trash hire shop rock hoppers than your own. if you are attached to a chalet probably bon coin (main chalet), then help with dinner and cleaning duties if and when you can, you should then be able to share in tips and the honesty bar, i hardly touched my wages when i worked there, and as we were paid in local currency we would offer a preferable exchange rate with guests so we could transfer to pounds with our surplus (then) francs. you should also be able to make use of free lessons from the preferred ski school in resort, we usually got free lessons on a Friday afternoon after resort meeting. in my experience len and brian were excellent to work for and i loved every minute of it, am still in touch with other workers, bar owners and ski instructors that i met there, i also met my future wife and mother of our two children there as she was a chalet girl with silver ski, and if i was allowed to i would be bask there in a heartbeat.

am sure you will have a great time, if you want to message me direct i am sure there would be other questions i may be able to answer.
cheers
terry
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cad99uk, Thank you Smile being a sparky means numerous " sparky " extensions will be packed

@sarah, How Much is seasons worth, lol.

@terrygasson, Terry, thank you for your reply, I'll be in touch via private message no doubt. The bedding comment is a possible life saver Smile perhaps I'll have to change from my power rangers quilt cover 🙈
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@UnumPila, I did a season with Silver Ski ten years ago and bedding WAS provided. I don`t think you need to worry about packing a duvet.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@UnumPila, We had a blogger last year who did a list on her blog that might help (although you may want to steer clear of the female specific items!)
http://seasonnaireweb.com/naomis-blog/packing-the-bag-blog/

I'd also expect bedding to be provided by the company.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

perhaps I'll have to change from my power rangers quilt cover

Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unlocked mobile phone
Sewing kit
Duck tape
Tie wraps
Cord to string up drying line
Ear plugs
Araldite (can't seem to buy it in Austria, do not know about France)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fancy dress outfit or something easily adaptable

Plenty of high factor sun cream - as should be much cheaper in UK
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cad99uk, If a maintenance man does not have access to araldite (easily found under the more generic epoxy label in France) , duck tape and cord then how can Gareth hope to do his job? Smile

Almost everything you need/want will be available in the local shops, and somethings like sewing kits will be in the resort shops as well. The last time I looked even cheep mobile phones were on sale in the Super U in Bourg st Maurice.

Don't worry be happy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
UnumPila, Your second home will probably be here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Luckily the mobile phone is sorted, an unlocked IPhone with a 3 UK sim. The use of unlimited data and texts whilst roaming is ideal.

I shall probably be taking more tools than clothes 🙈

I appreciate all your suggestions, it's making the move a little less daunting Smile

@rjs, I'm guessing this is the French version of B&Q?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A bit of weird question,
Obviously wages will be paid after a month of being there, is there a suggested amount of money to have before you go?

Also, does anyone know what mobile signal is like in La Plagne? Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy