Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Alright folks great forum you've got here! Im after a bit of info on L2A. Im lookin at bookin up for myself and five of my mates. Some of the lads are on a tighter budget than the others so gettin accomadation to suit all is proving a problem Confused A number of places keep coming up but there all in the Venosc area? Is this located away from the resort itself?
Lads being lads I envisage alot of time being spent in the bars so we want to be close to the 'busy' part of the resort as we can Razz
Any info would be much appreciated

Cheers

Dan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Danno79, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

There are a couple of snowHeads based out in that area, so I'm sure they'll be along soon to answer all your questions!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to Chalet Hotel La Brunerie on the main drag last year - last minute deal £310 for flights and full board accommodation. Rooms are adequate, hotel is nice, and even has it's own pool, sauna and jacuzzi. Centrally located, 5 mins walk to the main cable car. There is a lively bar in the hotel, and at least three or four within 3-4 minutes walk.

All that being said, I think you would have to get a late deal to satisfy those on a tight budget - I think we saved about £200 on the usual price. It's a fairly big hotel and we got a late deal for 4 just two weeks prior to departure so worth keeping an eye out for. I would say if you have people on a budget last minute deals are probably your best bet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Danno79 wrote:
Lads being lads I envisage alot of time being spent in the bars so we want to be close to the 'busy' part of the resort as we can Razz

Errr.......that's pretty much all of it wink Lively resort,esp when he Italian's are in residence Laughing Been a couple of times,love the place.And it has the added benefit of our resident snowHead ski-pro Easiski(don't worry,she will be along in a bit wink )
Venosc is below LDA(connected by cable car)Do-able,but not convenient.Cant help with last minute TO deals,but you should consider DIY?Pick your moment and get a budget flight.Enough of you to make car hire cheap;and there are loads of hotels/apartments etc.Sure Easiski will name a few;you could also look at www.maeva.com for some S/C apartments.Do a bit of leg work and save a bundle.
Whatever you decide,go;you wont regret it.

BTW,welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Danno79, Depends if the accomodation is "in" Vensoc or at the Venosc "end of town", Venosc itself is a gondola ride away as snowskisnow said. The town is kinda split into 4 areas; Mont De lans end near the access road - reasonably quiet, Le Village or 1800 as they now call it - the next section in and up but a bit isolated from town itself, the central area where the Brunerie hotel (see ken_1969 above) and Jandri main lift is and then finally the Venosc end which is still pretty lively but not quite so well connected for lifts. I'd recommend looking up the names of any accomodation on the main web-sites

http://www.2alpes.com/winter/uk/site/infosstation/planstation/plans2alpes.pdf

http://www.les2alpes.com/asources/index.asp?gmode=html&lg=uk

I think you'll like it, but would be good to know where you've skied/ridden before to draw a comparison.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Danno79, DIY can potentially save you a fortune. If you can pick your days to fly you can get £30 inc. taxes return Stansted-Grenoble on the Ryanair, which lands just in time to catch the bus up to Les 2 Alpes (€9 each way per person). You get a shuttle from the airport to the town centre railway/bus station, then a local VFD bus to the resort. Cheap and easy!
I would imagine, like the Curry King above says, that most of the hotels labelled as "Venosc" are in Les 2 Alpes, as the word is used interchangeably to describe the Venosc end of town and the little village at the bottom of the cliffs and accessable only by cable-car. Mind you check, though - for a bunch of lads keen on beer, a week of evenings stranded in Venosc-proper would be a dry old do.
There's some decent bars in the Venosc end, and the Avalanche nightclub (if you like seedy hell-holes), although you can get what you want from most of the bars anyway, cos they don't shut until you are incapable of asking for another drink.
Try the hotels direct, and see if they come in cheaper than the brochures.
There's some pant-wettingly decent skiing/boarding too, if you're into "adventurous" stuff...
Cue easiski to weigh in with her tupenny-worth. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulmck, Do you have details of the bus from Grenoble airport to Les Deux Alpes (times, website, etc)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.vfd.fr/accueil.php3 - bus is ok - about 15E one way I think and frequent enough to be useful.

aj xx
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at the PSB thread. Easiski set it up.
We stayed at the hotel Lutins. Very reasonable for us out of season (21E per night) but their regular rates are very good as well.
It's smack in the middle of the bar area and right by the main lift. Room comfortable no luxurious. Recommended.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cominout on the 20th stayin at the muzzelle apts anyone know anything bout them????i.e how close to all the good bits?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jb1970, I would if their website was working properly, which it might be by the time you read this. If you use aj's link above and then choose ligne 3030 from the pull down menu, that'll give you the times.
Bear in mind that the bus goes from Grenoble town centre and you have to get on the "navette" (shuttle bus) from the airport to the town centre first, which takes about 45 mins. This shuttle meets all flights, and costs peanuts. aj will attest to how easy the bus transfer is I'm sure.
rebel, Can't think ewxactly where they are, but the Avenue de la Muzelle is the main drag which runs from one end of the town to the other. You won't be more than 2/3mins walk from a bar/chairlift. Easiski will spot this thread in a bit and tell you exactly where it is.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's not that big a town, rebel, and it really is pretty lively, fear not for your apres ski, that side of things will be fine. It's getting to the skiing that's difficult! Especially with a hangover....in ski boots....euuuggghhh.....

If you are where I _think_ you are though you're in luck. There are two bars UNDER that building, and the diable gondola is only about 50m away...

aj xx
Bus is fine btw, one of my party managed it no trouble (by accident in fasct as he was SUPPOSED to be going to venosc proper, but that's another story)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers for advice folks. Paulmck - DIY looks like a good option at the moment. Looking at flights and digs for £200ish. Obviously not expecting much from the digs - self catering apartments called 'Les Residences', anyone know of them? Found them on expedia - from the description its sounds as though there in the middle of resort but before we book I wouldn't mind someone in the know giving us a run down on them Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rebel, The Muzelle apartments are in the Place de Venosc which,as ajhainey rightly says,are about 50mtrs from the Diable Gondola(Red Eggs)This is the far end of town but no significant problem.Should you return off the mountain to another part of town,just catch the free bus(Navette)back.Stops outside the Muzelle.These are budget S/C apartments;though perfectly fine,clean and pretty well appointed.In the 'Place' itself is a good pizzeria,and around the back,a Spar supermarket.As you walk up the main street,on your left,is a cracking kebab bar(look for a little open air patio c/w steel chairs and mangy boarders Toofy Grin )Order a kebab-frite avec mayonnaise and enjoy.Another good late night spot is a new burger bar a bit further up.Timber fronted,English run,excellent burgers.Bars,take your pick,there are dozens.
Make sure you hook up with Easiski.As a fellow snowHead you are now obliged to take any lessons with her wink Seriously,excellent instructor and a lovely lady;and she knows LDA like the back of her hand.Don't ignore the town pistes,esp by the Jandri.Great wind down at the end of the day with a good terrace bar right by the Jandri.
Have fun.........wish I was still there snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Danno79, Sorry to have been a bit slow to get onto this thread - too much work and Snowhead meets is my excuse. Apartments can be found for a very reasonable price, "Les REsidences" is just the name they give holiday homes and is not an apartment block. Anywhere in the centre of town or at the Venosc end will be fine for partying. Le Village or Deux Alpes 1800 is very lively due to the large number of young Dutch who stay there. It's a bit separate from most of the town but is genuinely ski in ski out.

I generally recommend getting an apartment a bit bigger than you think due to the tiny size of so many of them. 6 people = 8 person apartment!

Check out my website for lots of general information, and if you want more detail then just drop me an email or a PM. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

rebel, Be sure to day hello when you're out, Nick Zotov will also be around from 22nd................. I can feel a 3rd mini-meet coming on - any other snowheads going to be here that week????
ski holidays
yeah a meet up sounds like a good plan, thinking could do with some advice on the runs too, 2 of the lads that are comin have only been once before and i don't want to throw them down anything too hard, though they are every competent skiers
easiski,
snow conditions
easiski, Am out there next week and was wondering if you could recomend a good boot fitter? i have just put mine on for the first time since last season and have got a slight pain on one foot Sad
snow report
Another alternative is to take the overnight friday ski train from Paris (as to Bourg St Maurice for Val d'Isere etc) and get off very early in the morning at Chambery. Take a (frequent) train to Grenoble (1 hour). The bus station is outside the station.
Return on the Saturday evening after skiing the same way. You get 8 days skiing that way for the same number of nights in the resort
latest report
Danno79, we've got our for £211 flights,transfers and accom in a catered chalet. Booked it last week for next week via teletext holidays
snow conditions
I'm hoping to get down there on the 29th Jan. 400 Euros (£275) for 7 nights full board and a lift pass. Probably driving down, although might do easyjet and bus from Grenoble as it doesn't seem too bad.
snow report
mistermouse, I'm sure Charlotte will be able to help. Jon had a similar problem and she got a guy called Cedric to sort it out. best €10 he ever spent! snowHead
snow report
mistermouse - cedric is at jaques sport (charlotte recommended him to my friend too) - by the viking/grand viking drags. Very handy as you can ski about 2mins from the door so can hop in and out testing if need be.

aj xx
snow conditions
mistermouse, As mentioned by others, Cedric at Jacques Sports is very good, be sure to tell him your from me to get extra service. If your french is dodgy (his english is of the "basic" variety), then let me know and I'll come along with you to translate.

rebel, No sweat on run advice - goods idea in LDA, give me a bell when you get in and we can meet up over a coffee/beer and a piste map!!

MagSeven, Sounds good, give me a bell - most others with have gone home by then, but at the rate snowHead s are hitting LDA this winter, there are bound to be more. I reckon we've had a snowhead out almost every week of the season.

ajhainey, I gather you all got home OK? did the boys go off in the powder the last day after their lesson??

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Mostly Happy The same chap who managed to go the LDA,place du venosc instead of Venosc, Le Bourg D'Arud also managed to miss his flight home (returning instead via epic train journey) but other than that all safe and sound! Don't think the boys got another chance to try the powder tecniques, but they were all very pleased with it - I got some very enthusiastic punching demos when they got back to the chalet - I think you appealed to their inner action man Very Happy

aj xx
snow conditions
just over a week to go well excited now, can anyone tell me if we'll need photos for ski passes or do i not have to embarras myself by carrying round a mugshot of me?? Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Rebel, You do need a photo for lift pass (unless you buy single days). There's an inexpensive photo booth at the main Jandri lift pass office if you forget. If you've kept a pass from an earlier year you could use that Very Happy
ski holidays
Pollyperks, thanks for that info, i was just wondering the same thing myself
snow report
Pollyperks, They are more advanced down the valley in Briancon, they scan your visage with a webcam at the kiosk. Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pistemeister, Shock Shock
snow conditions
easiski, And if you don't realise that they are taking your picture you may look like this Shocked or this Puzzled on your skipass.
ski holidays
pistemeister, Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
pistemeister, thay may be more advanced in Briancon (and even Chantemerle), but when we bought our liftpasses in Monetier in December, although they could scan the pics from my sons' passprts for their KeyCard, thay can't cope with the Swatch Snowpass watches. Despite being able to buy them online without a photo, they require a photo if you but at the liftpass office, which they put onto a little naff card you carry in your pocket. However,they can;t scan tham onto the card, thay can only stick on a passport sized photo. and there's nowhere in Monetier to have a photo taken. Eventually they photocopied the one in my passport and used that.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Blimy! easier to just know to bring one then!
snow report
Magsevern,
Quote:

I'm hoping to get down there on the 29th Jan. 400 Euros (£275) for 7 nights full board and a lift pass. Probably driving down, although might do easyjet and bus from Grenoble as it doesn't seem too bad

I'm making my way over there again on 29th flying from Stansted which gets in at the same time as the Easyjet flight. Taking Navette to Grenoble and VFD to L2A. Let me know if you are flying and I'll look out for you if you would like.
snow report
easiski, no problem for the ordinary liftpass, just the Snowpass watches we foolishly bought each other last Christmas. They'll scan any old pic (driving licence etc) for the others.
latest report
easiski, Helen Beaumont, I'll admit I was quite impressed that they were able to dispense with the passport photo .......until we took advantage of the grande galaxie pass in PSV. When we got to the kiosk, they wanted the receipt, and another piece of paper with a list of the grande galaxie resorts on it, from which they cut out Puy St Vincent with a pair of scissors! (real cutting edge technology). snowHead
latest report
pistemeister, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
You lot seem a nice helpful bunch so I thought I would try and seek some advice! Just booked a week in Les Deux Alpes for 25th March (can't wait!), however have heard a few people mention the grading of the slopes is not what would be expected in other european resorts. Its only my third year skiing so not quite the professional yet! Does anyone have any advice on this or any other great info on the resort itself?

Great forum by the way!
snow report
Hi Lisa.8, welcome to snowheads.

Not been to LDA in recent years myself but we have a local resident in easiski who can give you much better info as well as others who've been there more recently than me.
snow conditions
Lisa.8, As I recall the only thing different about L2A is that the harder runs are near the base area and the easier runs further up the mountain. This is not a problem as you can get a lift down the hill if you dont fancy tackling the run home.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy