Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning in a snowdome...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Might be a bit of a daft question but bare with me. I'm learning to board in a snowdome, I'm linking my turns pretty confidently, staring to build up a bit of speed and bumps and ice aren't much of a problem anymore. As I'm not on a mountain, I'm wondering how this equates to what slopes I'd be capable to do when I do go? I'm going to Banff in January and I'm wondering what I'm gonna be able to do once I get there.

Any help is much appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of the snowdomes could only be compared to a mellow blue slope, the difference between a dome and a mountain is pretty big. Variable conditions on the mountain and learning to read the terrain are the biggest difference. In the morning you could have sunshine and freshly groomed piste and in the afternoon white out conditions with chopped up slopes and moguls also dealing with narrow cat tracks or steeper sections and some of the dangers of being in a mountain environment.
You're best bet is to get some lessons in the mornings they'll not only improve your technique but they'll show you round and start to teach you how to read the terrain.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-09-15 12:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The main slopes at all of the UK snow domes are much steeper than a typical green piste in alpine resorts. Obviously you will get much more variation in the environment in the mountains than you will indoors, but ski/board skills are the the same no matter where you develop them. My advice would be to start off on easy slopes when you first get to the mountains and see how you get on. The advice about getting lessons to help develop your skills further, help develop tactical awareness and the confidence to ski a wide range of terrain seems very sensible.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Put it this way, you're not wasting your money. You'll definitely be ahead of the game when you hit the mountains for the work that you've put in indoors.
I've skied with fridge bunnies, their short radius turns are usually great. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't worry about it @kehjw, riding out on the mountain, especially in a place like Banff is easier in my opinion than a dome as the pistes are longer, less constrained at the sides and normally a lot less crowded in than a UK fridge. I love Banff and have been many times - If you go to Sunshine Mt, start off on the Strawberry chair, some nice easy greens and blues there to get your eye in which lead straight back to the lift. Get some laps on that and you'll really start to feel some progression. Relax, you're already way ahead of the game in your riding, you'll have a blast.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd agree with what's above. Domes aware about the same as a blue run (eouropean grading) I fancy blues in Canada were a fraction more varied. From Banff board at sunshine and lake Louise, the snow usually seemed better at sunshine, then lake L, then Norquay in descending order. Strawberry and mount standish chairs have some nice runs and the runs off The other chair - one run called tin can alley were always perfectly groomed and really quiet in the morning. (If you want really quiet goats eye mountain first thing - you can lap the chairs and not see a soul on the runs for a good while before the sun swings)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty much what has already been said, don't forget, unless you've been to one of the larger domes, then chair lifts will be something new to you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Banff is a great choice. Nice wide runs, and quiet too. Be prepared for very cold weather though, I remember -28C when I was learning over there. I'd advise doing some leg work in preparation too, as you'll experience calf burn unlike anything you've had in the dome simply because of the longer runs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy