Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TirolS - the link between Fieberbrunn and Saalbach-Hinterglemm

Poster: A snowHead
On Saturday I had another look at the new TirolS gondola and, since there are a good many photos, I thought it better this time to start a new thread rather than stick it in the one
about the link between Saalbach and Zell am See.

This time I didn't walk up to the bottom station on the Fieberbrunn side but I did look at the work which is continung on those slopes, bringing the Skiweg down from the bottom
station of the Reckmoos Süd gondola to the valley.

Looking in the other direction you can see where the Skiweg will go down beside the road (the middle station is in the valley behind the trees).

The middle station

There was a surprise waiting there too - a concrete kit house was being built which hadn't been there last time I looked. I'm not sure what it is intended for,
maybe as the pump station for the snow-making equipment?

From there there was a long climb up on the Hinterglemm side. Looking back, one sees that the lift's change of direction at the middle station is more like 45°
than the 90° I suggested in an earlier post.

And I must admit another mistake: earlier I had claimed that a new hut was being built on the piste. Now I see that that is rather only for cows.
The building at the Vierstadlalm is going to be a large cow stall. The Vierstadlalm was also renovated last year but I'm not sure it is going to be a ski hut.

The piste looks interesting, over alm meadows. At the steepest point an somewhat easier "bypass" has been constructed. Here's a view up to the steeper drop

And here the bypass

Whether the track will be prepared in winter as an even easier descent, I cannot say. The drop off the side is quite steep. But there were now scooters and
mountain bikers (going uphill) on it.

From the bottom stations of the Reiter Ost and Wetterkreuz chairlifts, I took a detour to look at the new Bernkogel chairlift but I'll concentrate on the TirolS gondola here.
I'll make a separate thread about the Bernkogel 6er later.

Piste 37 beside the Reiter Ost lift was already quite busy...

..but, after much sweat, the top station of the TirolS came into view, with the tops of the Reiter Ost and the Sunliner lifts in the background.

The top station of the TirolS is situated a little lower than the top of the Reiter Ost lift on the Saalbach side. But a connecting track is also being
prepared in the Hinterglemm direction.

The piste back down by the Vierstadlalm in the direction of Fieberbrunn goes off to the left from piste 37 about halfway down the Reiter Ost lift.

And as a final photo here a view back towards the new Vierstadlalm piste, showing the turn off (just in front of the far away trees) and giving some impression of its steepness.

It all looks very promising Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Greta stuff @espri, thanks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks good Eric.... likely to be in hinterglemm 12th December... so if it's open may get to try
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds good, @seany1. Hopefully the snow will come in time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Superb article, thanks. Can't wait to ski it, only a few months to go!

There's massive investment in the infrastructure in this whole area improving it beyond recognition over the last 10 years. I've gone from France/Swiss to Austria as my go to destination. I'm over in Kaprun this November for the new lifts/pistes that are going to be finished by October.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JWillsnowhead, what's new in Kaprun? Black Mamba was the last new one i skied there
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@espri, Does this open up new tree skiing opportunities on the way back from Saalbach to Fieberbrunn ?
It looks that way from the terrain maps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rdonalds, I haven't given the question much thought. There are trees around, as you can see in the last photo, for example, just to the right of the piste. But I'm not sure that skiers will be encouraged to go into them. The actual piste is all on alpine meadows.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Levi215, Gletscherjet 3/4 - So rather than having to get the chairlift from the Alpincenter then drag lifts to the top there will be a gondola's from there to the top. Will be quicker than that combo and quicker than queuing for the Gipfelbahn and getting the train from the restaurant to the top slopes. Will also ease the congestion when going to the restaurant for both skiers and pedestrians.

http://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/about-us/cable-cars-lifts/new-gletscherjet-3-4
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AthersT, looks great, where is it going into at the top near the train lower station?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Levi215, I was there last New Year and from what I could tell it would top out just under the bottom of the train - more or less level with the top of the drag lifts. I will be there again at some point around new year week to find out, it should mean getting up and down the mountain will be alot easier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They are improving the layout of the Pistes also. can't wait to explore. Lots going on in this part of Austria, a good place to invest?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JWillsnowhead, think that bubble has long since been blown up....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today I visited the Jakobskreuz atop the Buchensteinwand and from there I had a view across to the new Vierstadlalm piste (on Saturday I felt that looking the other way to the Jakobskreuz will make a fine panorama when skiing down). So here's a photo giving an overview of the new piste from far away...

And here with the piste drawn in ("bypass" dotted), as I think it will be (revised)...

Here too, for those interested in the Kitzsteinhorn developments, a photo from last December which shows where the top station of the GletscherJet 4 is relative to the shuttle train (there is a tunnel from the gondola to the bottom station of the shuttle). Interesting too, perhaps, is that the first stage of the new gondolas, the GletscherJet 3 (which runs from the Alpincenter to beside the bottom stations of the glacier T-bars), is a combi lift, i.e. it has both cabins and seats, so that those who don't want to take their skis off can use the seats...

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@espri, thanks for those! Took us ages to get up there previously good to have a chair rather than a drag too!
ski holidays
Many, many thanks for these great pixs. Just what I was looking for! I visit Saalbach every year.
snow conditions
Me too i could not see any on either saalbach or fiberbrunn sites
latest report
This is going to be one of the great lift connections!
snow report
Can't agree more!
latest report
We see lifts as objects of beauty - not everyone does for sure but we do. And they take people on amazing journeys. Not every lift project is valid though - there is a proposed link on my local hill from Axamer Lizum to Schlick. For us this was a lift too far, interrupting some seriously wonderful nature. But the TirolS is one of the most meaningful lifts I can recall. I cannot wait to ride it and marvel at the way it brings 2 superb ski areas together!
ski holidays
Details of the construction process posted Sept 25

Construction of the 10-person gondola circulation Tyrol Fieberbrunn on the Reiterkogel in Saalbach Hinterglemm goes into the final phase. The station buildings are nearing completion, cable and rope splice is completed. The cab delivery begins in October. The new web is including 3.5 km of slopes connect from December 2015, the Tyrolean ski resort Fieberbrunn with the Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang in Salzburg. The merger will create the largest with 270 kilometers of slopes of Austria audited contiguous ski area. Commissioning of the Tyrol is scheduled for early December. The official opening will take place on 19 December.

http://translate.google.com/translate?&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bergbahnen-fieberbrunn.at%2Fsommer-urlaub-wandern-tirol
snow report
http://www.fantastischoostenrijk.nl/tirols-fieberbrunn-saalbach-een-update/
snow report
Quote:

The official opening will take place on 19 December.

The day we arrive! Very Happy
ski holidays
@espri, Excellent post!

Does any snowHead know if the Tirol Snowcard (which covers Fieberbrunn) will now include the lifts at Saalbach/Hinterglemm?
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, According to the Snowcard Tirol website, you need to purchase an add-on ticket to ski the Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Ski Circus. Cost is €20 - presumably that is per day?

The Kitzbühel Alps AllStar Card is an alternative as it includes Fieberbrunn and S-H-L Ski Circus, as well as a host of other resorts.
snow report
@quinton, how about the Salzburg Superski pass I ncluding Fieberbrunn? Nothing showing on the website.
snow report
@hammerite, Fieberbrunn has always been included as it is part of the Schneewinkel area.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 8-10-15 16:04; edited 2 times in total
latest report
I have used the Salzburg Superski Card in all recent seasons and it has always covered Fieberbrunn as well as the Saalbach-Hinterglemm Ski Circus. I assume it will continue to do so (even moreso now with the link).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Quinton @espri, ok thanks. It's of no consequence for me at the moment, but as we're on the search for an apartment it's useful to know.
ski holidays
Does anyone know what the arrangements will be for a ski bus between Fieberbrunn and Leogang (presumably there will be one, thereby opening up new clockwise and anti-clockwise circuits)? (Or maybe there won't.)
ski holidays
According to my paper copy of the new 2015-16 piste map, it says 'Your ski pass entitles you to free travel on the ski bus in Saalbach-Hinterglemm and Viehhofen, between Leogang and Saalfelden as well as in Fieberbrunn. There is no ski bus connection between Saalbach-Hinterglemm and Leogang as well as to Fieberbrunn' - which I interpret as meaning that there is no bus connection between Leogang and Fieberbrunn.
snow report
Yes, that's also my interpretation, although it seems to make sense that there should be a Leogang/Fieberbrunn ski bus connection, and it may come if there is a discernible demand once the new link becomes established.
ski holidays
There are normal local buses between Leogang-Hochfilzen and Hochfilzen-Fieberbrunn, though I expect you have to pay as they aren't ski buses (at least the Leogang-Hochfilzen one, the Tirol side seems to be free if you have a lift ticket). There is a through bus from Saalfelden to St. Johann in Tirol (via Leogang and Fieberbrunn, Salzburger Land no. 690) but it doesn't run very often (and only weekdays).

I'm not sure I see any need for a ski bus from Leogang to Fieberbrunn; I can't imagine I would use it - what do we have skis for? Though only time will tell how much piste you can cover in a day using the new TirolS lift. As well as the TirolS, you would need to use at least the Reckmoos Süd and Reckmoos Nord (the short uphill bit) lifts on the Fieberbrunn side to get back from the TirolS to the Fieberbrunn car park. Up till now, the Reckmoos Süd lift has only run till 15:45 (I think); maybe it will operate longer once the Hinterglemm link opens.
snow conditions
@espri, Wouldn't a ski bus between Leogang and Fieberbrunn enable and encourage people to do clockwise and anti-clockwise circuits, e.g. (for me) up the Bernkogel and over to the Reiterkogel, and then to Fieberbrunn, then ski bus to Leogang, then back via the Kohlmais? (or the other way round).
snow conditions
I would rather expect to stay on my skis all the time. So I would plan to ski over to the TirolS (from Fieberbrunn) and then spend most of the day skiing Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang before skiing back to Fieberbrunn using the TirolS (much as I have done in the past but without driving to Leogang). Conversely, I could imagine skiing up the Bernkogel and over by the TirolS before spending the day on the Fieberbrunn slopes and then skiing back by the TirolS again to the Bernkogel and Saalbach. Who wants to sit on/wait for a bus?

I trust that will be possible, even though the TirolS is quite a way from the entry point of the Fieberbrunn area.

BTW, I saw on television this evening that the new gondolas on the Kitzsteinhorn, the GletscherJet 3 and 4, started running today. Here a report (in German).
snow conditions
Last Sunday I checked out the new TirolS gondola again, as it approaches completion. Here are a few photos.

The Vierstadlalm piste down from the Saalbach-Hinterglemm side, with snow-making machinery...

Cabins waiting to be attached...

The new Pulvermacher Scherm hut near the middle station of the lift, at the foot of the Vierstadlalm piste (Pulvermacher means gunpowder maker but don't worry - they gave up producing the stuff in the 1930s; Scherm is a word for a mountain hut)...

EDIT: Corrected spelling to Scherm

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 27-10-15 20:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hey @espri, - I saw that the "official" opening of the TirolS is the 19th Dec, but the lift system itself is open the previous week.

We're there (Saalbach) from 12th to 19th so was wondering if there would be an "un-official" opening from the 12th wink - do you have any "on the spot" intelligence on whether they'll run in the first week? It looks like the lift pass will cover both areas for the season, so it would be a bummer if we can't use the connection Sad
snow report
My understanding is also that the lift will be running before the "official" opening date (19th Dec), assuming there is enough snow, natural or artificial. I haven't heard any definite date yet (it's probably pretty variable depending on the snow conditions) but, if I hear anything, I'll report it here.
snow conditions
Quote:

assuming there is enough snow

I don't want to tempt fate, but, apart from last year, I can't think of a year when there hasn't been plenty of snow by 19th Dec; in fact, in a "normal" year, piste conditions in the week before Christmas tend to be nothing short of idyllic - and we're about to spend our 10th consecutive Christmas in Saalbach. (So fingers crossed! Smile )
snow conditions
On Monday I visited the new TirolS gondola again as it approaches completion. The cabins are on the cable and there is a new Prinoth Leitwolf piste basher already in the garage. It looks as though there are only a few jobs to finish off, like work on the lifts. Here are some photos...

The middle station of the TirolS gondola

Nearby the new Pulvermacher Scherm hut is also progressing

I sweated my way up to the Reiterkogel this time and, looking back, there was a fine view of the middle station and the section of the lift going up to meet the Reckmoos Süd gondola on the Fieberbrunn side

On the way up I could see that there is more to opening up a new run than just building the lift and flattening the piste. Now there is safety fencing alongside the Skiweg that is part of the easier "bypass" off the Vierstadlalm piste. And as well as that snow making equipment and netting on the hillside

The top of the Reiterkogel above Hinterglemm is beginning to look like a local Clapham Junction, with the top stations of the new TirolS and the Reiter-Ost and Sunliner chairlifts

And here's a photo of the top station of the TirolS in all its glory

Going back down I saw that there was already signposting for the new destination on the Reiter-Ost bottom station (though no signposts on the pistes yet). The Wetterkreuz chairlift points to Saalbach

Before starting the long trek back to the valley, I took the chance to look at the new Bernkogel 6er chairlift, replacing the long double T-bars. That looks as though it is ready for action

It may be a little while before everything starts running but from up on the Bernkogel you could see a sprinkling of snow on the Schattberg on the other side of the Glemmtal

Roll on the winter!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy