Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideas for a backpack similar to Dakine heli pack

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for some ideas for a backpack similar to dakine heli pack.

Heli pack is 11 litres, with a diagonal ski carry (which i occasionally use walking back to apartment etc), it has a hydration pouch and the tube can go down inside the shoulder strap, which i use and like.

The small lined zipped compartment on the top is good, as is the carry handle on the top, it is also seems quite robust.......

waist belt fits well as does the sternum strap, and it all adjusts which i like, its small enough (ish) (would be better without the shovel / snowboard thing on the back), not to need to take it off on lifts

I never use it for off piste as i have another pack for that, so the external shovel holder with all its clips is a big waste of space and time, and I don't need a snowboard carry.

so ideas for another dakine pack similar size, or another make........ but without the shovel/ snowboard carry on the back? I also use it for walking in the summer.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Zorrac, N has the 11L heli pack so I am familiar with that. I have a Haglofs Snow Passion which is slightly bigger at 14L, but all the pockets are internal. It has a soft goggle pouch in the top the same as the Dakine, and you can still attach skis. I don't need to take it off on lifts as it is still slim enough to fit.

I find the external pocket on the Dakine useful for stuffing excess baggage items like my jacket/handbag/bottle of water in the airport,much to his annoyance Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Zorrac, i had an Osprey pack for running home from the office, which was less fully featured but a great pack.

Decathlon/Quechua do a super cheap but completely acceptable range.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think you will be able to get a backpack with an internal hydration, that does not come with the other snow specific features such as Shovel, Snowboard, Ski carry etc.

You could look at the Dakine Bike packs, such as the Nomad or drafter, but you won't get the internal hydration tube routing. I had a Nomad which survived years of weekly abuse.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at the Camelbak winter range - I love mine, with diagonal ski carry, plus space for my shovel and probe, ad goggle pocket and internal tube - but they do smaller options as well which might suit you, and plenty without too many external attachments.

Something like this might be good - it's 14L, but should compress well using the buckles: http://shop.camelbak.com/caper-14/d/1336_c_141_cl_349
Or a smaller one, but drinking tube not so protected: http://shop.camelbak.com/kicker/d/1273_c_141_cl_34
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I really cant fault the ortovox packs. had several and they are so robust and sit well. dont even know its on
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just cut the extra webbing off.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out the BCA range. Designed for snow sports but very "clean" externally.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for all the suggestions, can't really cut the extra off as on the heli it forms a major part of the pack. Camelbak looks like an option, and will have a look in vieux campeur as going past tomorrow........will probably come out with something completely different that I did know i needed until I saw it....... Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been looking at the Oakley Rafter 12 . . .like the look of the Haglofs but cant find any on line?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a Lowe Alpine pack, very light and comfortable, has internal and external top pockets, 2 elasticated outsides and minimal external straps so it is slim and clean and no problems on lifts. There is no fixed hydration pouch but there is a slot for the tube and an internal pocket for the pouch. Don't know the model name (no label at TKMaxx!!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Although the heli-pack is designed to allow you to sit in a heli and belt-up without taking it off, it's not a good idea to wear one on a chairlift, even if you can. Most places, the lifties will catch you and pull you up for that. If they do it late, you'll delay everyone else.

I guess I have quite a few packs. Including a few Dakine. They ride better than anything else I've used, it's something about the back length and the way they're designed. They're stable even without the waist strap fastened. I would be very careful of using non-snow-specific packs unless you know for sure they ride well.

For summer I'd use something else. You'll get a sweaty back with the Heli pack (no venting). It's rubbish for cycling, I can't get comfortable with them. Not great for walking: easily overwhelmed by a fleece and waterproofs; not suitable for water bottles; no side pockets; too thin for a decent camera; awkward access; limited pockets; no access without pack removal. I'm currently using an Osprey which addresses all those things and has a neat vented back design. That is good on a bike and works well for walking. It has ice tool and other stuff on it (although it's not a climbing pack: wrong shape, too small for rope, no where for crampons). There are thousands of packs, get the right one for the job..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:
Although the heli-pack is designed to allow you to sit in a heli and belt-up without taking it off, it's not a good idea to wear one on a chairlift, even if you can. Most places, the lifties will catch you and pull you up for that. If they do it late, you'll delay everyone else.

I guess I have quite a few packs. Including a few Dakine. They ride better than anything else I've used, it's something about the back length and the way they're designed. They're stable even without the waist strap fastened. I would be very careful of using non-snow-specific packs unless you know for sure they ride well.

For summer I'd use something else. You'll get a sweaty back with the Heli pack (no venting). It's rubbish for cycling, I can't get comfortable with them. Not great for walking: easily overwhelmed by a fleece and waterproofs; not suitable for water bottles; no side pockets; too thin for a decent camera; awkward access; limited pockets; no access without pack removal. I'm currently using an Osprey which addresses all those things and has a neat vented back design. That is good on a bike and works well for walking. It has ice tool and other stuff on it (although it's not a climbing pack: wrong shape, too small for rope, no where for crampons). There are thousands of packs, get the right one for the job..

Whats the best in your opinion then? I've been using a small 15l Berghaus day pack but end up reversing it (wearing it on my chest) on the chairs as its a little bulky to sit comfortably when loaded with layers/goggles etc . . . also has no sternum strap so moves about a lot . . .all of this is a mild pain

Like the look of the Oakley/Dakines flat design and goggle pouch as I normally wear shades unless its snowing hard . . .also fancy an insulated hydration system as my current shatterproof water bottle clipped via a caribina on the main zip and sitting in a mesh pocket can create an unbalanced set up that I've almost lost several times whilst holding poles/trying to sup on the lift . . . . ideas?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just my personal experience, but I've never been pulled over by the lifties and/or asked to remove my Dakine heli pack.
It's so thin, even when it's absolutely full, it doesn't get in the way at all when riding a chair lift.
And I'm a BIG guy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My shortlist -

Dakine Heli pack 12
Oakley Rafter 12
Ortovox Powder Rider 16
Camelbak Caper 14
Scott Airfree 16
Gregory Targhee 18
Haglofs Gira 16

. . .any others?
snow conditions
Belch wrote:
My shortlist -

Dakine Heli pack 12
Oakley Rafter 12
Ortovox Powder Rider 16
Camelbak Caper 14
Scott Airfree 16
Gregory Targhee 18
Haglofs Gira 16

. . .any others?

How tall are you btw?
Just be careful to get the right Ortovox pack as the size is dependant on your height due to the back protector in it (not that it really makes that much difference)

I have the Freerider 18 and the ferried 24ABS and they are brilliant packs, although both are a pain to get off at lifts due to waist and chest bands, but that more than offsets the fact that they have an inbuilt back protector, camelback compartment, and fit amazingly well - its the only pack I've had that I don't know I'm wearing. They have the usual ski/helmet carrying perks etc

If it were me id go for the Ortovox free rider over the powder rider, and if that doesn't suit go for the Dakine heli pack (they are a close 2nd)
ski holidays
snowglider wrote:
Just my personal experience, but I've never been pulled over by the lifties and/or asked to remove my Dakine heli pack.
It's so thin, even when it's absolutely full, it doesn't get in the way at all when riding a chair lift.
And I'm a BIG guy.

I've never been asked to remove my backpack on a lift. At the moment I use a Vango Rapide H20 20 Hydration Pack. It doesn't cause any difficulties on lifts as it's pretty thin. Sadly it doesn't have the pipe for the hydration routed internally, so I've had to insulate it with a thick ski sock.
snow conditions
I think you probably need to get out more:
http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/17/ski-lift-operator-charged-over-death-of-boy-14-strangled-by-backpack-5108310/

Chances are you'll be asked if you're anywhere near there.

Some places care, others don't. I can't remember where I have been asked to remove a pack -as I don't use a pack much, but it has happened once. In North America they often have lockers or a pack tree.
snow report
quote] How tall are you btw? quote]

6'1" - XL - Does the Ortovox have a goggle pocket as I really like the sound of this feature (ie. top access, wont slip down bag and get damaged on chair etc)

To be honest I've worn some kind of pack since I was a kid and have NEVER been caught on a chairlift . . .I do have lift OCD (drummed into me by my parents) and generally do several checks before, during and after getting on one though. . .I also swing the bag round to my front if the lift is looking busy / I can't sit side-on as I'm relatively large and have long legs etc which means the bar down always squishes some part of my anatomy with a bag on . . .also wear the bag on my front if its loaded with the kids fleeces/goggles/general cr*p etc . . .
snow report
The Ortovox Free Rider has a mesh pocket in the top of the outer compartment that works as a goggle pocket although it's not fleece lined like some. That said it's not a problem if your goggles are in a pouch. Or on your head........ Great all round bag though. Surprisingly light given the integrated back-protector and very comfortable. I also have a Dakine Heli pack which I like too but the Free Rider is a step up in features and comfort. It comes in some pretty crazy colours too Cool

If you are 6'1" you'll probably need the Free Rider 18 though - the back protector needs to fit your height.

And I've never been asked to remove my bag on a chairlift anywhere in Europe but have seen it in the States.
ski holidays
magicskis wrote:
The Ortovox Free Rider has a mesh pocket in the top of the outer compartment that works as a goggle pocket although it's not fleece lined like some. That said it's not a problem if your goggles are in a pouch. Or on your head........ Great all round bag though. Surprisingly light given the integrated back-protector and very comfortable. I also have a Dakine Heli pack which I like too but the Free Rider is a step up in features and comfort. It comes in some pretty crazy colours too Cool

If you are 6'1" you'll probably need the Free Rider 18 though - the back protector needs to fit your height.

And I've never been asked to remove my bag on a chairlift anywhere in Europe but have seen it in the States.

This is correct, although im sure (id have to check) there is a detachable goggles case (neoprene type) on the inside of the main pocket, or perhaps this is only in my Ortovox ABS (too many bags Happy )
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
magicskis wrote:

This is correct, although im sure (id have to check) there is a detachable goggles case (neoprene type) on the inside of the main pocket, or perhaps this is only in my Ortovox ABS (too many bags Happy )

Padded goggles case only in the ABS / larger models
snow report
@Zorrac, I love my BCA pack, has got all the features you seem to want, and the shovel and probe sections are inside the pack and frankly can be used for other stuff if you wanted it for walking etc. It is very flat against my back and maybe 4" deep when packed with normal amount of stuff. No clips on the outside at the back (other than the clips you can tuck away) so really can't see any way to get hooked up on a lift and I've never been asked to remove it.

All the times I've ever seen anyone have an issue with bags on a lift seem to be where they take their pack off and the loose clips dangle through the lift somehow and get caught.
ski holidays
Just a heads-up that there are Dakine Heli Pro 20l and 11l packs on Sport Pursuit at the moment for £42 and £37 respectively...
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Just a heads-up that there are Dakine Heli Pro 20l and 11l packs on Sport Pursuit at the moment for £42 and £37 respectively...

. . just bought Dakine Heli Pack 11l in fetching black (Sport Pursuit colour was 'orrible) . . .£39 - epacks.co.uk
snow report
@PaulC1984, you seem to have many Ortovox Packs. Can you tell me if the non-ABS packs can have the ABS kit added later, or are there differences between say the Free Rider 26 and the Free Rider 26 ABS that make this impossible.
snow report
Valkyrie wrote:
@PaulC1984, you seem to have many Ortovox Packs. Can you tell me if the non-ABS packs can have the ABS kit added later, or are there differences between say the Free Rider 26 and the Free Rider 26 ABS that make this impossible.

Its impossible im affraid, whilst they look the same, they are very different.

YOU CAN however by the 26abs without the MASS system (the abs bit) and add it later
ski holidays
. . .Dakine Heli Pack 11 arrived today . . .at first glance it looks tough and well designed, although its weightier than my current bag. Fits well, but I am nervous about the excess strappage - don't really want to chop this off but neither do I want it dangling all over the place. . . .not sure whether I've made the right choice . . . Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Salomon Trail 10 arrived today . . . .Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

. . .small, mega light running backpack & perfect for my primarily frontside skiing needs. Enough space for goggles, additional layer/thin shell, ski lock and snacks - the mesh pocket swallows my 500ml water bottle - even has a little loop for a caribiner attachment to keep the bottle in place and a breathable mesh on the back to negate sweaty backs. Also takes a camelbak. . .Not waterproof, so bought an 8L drysack as an inner bag to keep stuff dry . . .v low profile backpack so should be lift proof - the strap mechanisms are also 'self tidying' . . .perfect and at £25 relative value.

Brand New Dakine Heli Pack 11L in fetching Black - SOLD
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy