Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've lost my bottle :(

Poster: A snowHead
This is what it must be like to stand up at an AA meeting....Ok I'm owning up. I took a bit of a wipeout on a red run last week A good 60ft slide and a theatrical 360 degree rotation on the way down. The first part of the fall was ok, I turned onto a sheet of ice in fairly flat light and I didn't notice it. The first part of the slide was ok and then it just felt like I was never going to stop, as I rotated round and slide past people who looked very worried but could do nothing to help....I had built up quite a momentum by then....I started to panic. I eventually got my skis to bite and came to a halt with my knees and skis in a right pickle - lucky not to do too much damage I think.

Anyway Friday and Saturday skiing was pathetic - I ended up needing my son to talk me down a steep red, one turn at a time. It was very windblown and alot of people were on it dithering about. I was in such a state that I asked the pister to let me ride down on the chair...despite my tears (pathetic I know) he said no he wasn't allowed. In the past I would have taken a deep breath and got on with it. On Saturday morning I felt physically sick going up on the first gondola and spent the morning fannying around on some very easy blues.

We are off to Austria in February (Hintertux - not a beginners resort really) and at the moment I don't particularly want to go. I'm not normally such a wimp, I broke/dislocated my elbow on my first ski trip, I windsurf and trapeeze on dinghies in the summer (despite being caught on the line and nearly drowning once), but I really have lost it this time. Telling myself off didn't work last week and I really don't want to spoil the trip for the rest of my family.....any suggestions Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lorraine, sorry to hear that Sad how about some 1:1 private lessons to get your confidence going again?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lorraine, you could try joining in with another group of similar level skiers or having a lesson or something. The distraction of having others around may be helpful to you. A similar thing happened to Mrs Z on our penultimate day a couple of years ago, and it really shook her confidence, such that she wouldn't ski the last day. The next year we went where it was possible for her to ski with a group of others and that sorted her confidence out again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try and get to a dry slope for some practice, even book a 1hr private lesson. Just to get a refresher and to be told that your technique is good enough. This will then raise the confidence level, and hopefully you will be able to enjoy the next holiday without thinking about the problem.

Sunderland will probably be your nearest slope,or Xscape at Castleford.

Remember it's just like riding a bike, fall off, get up and keep trying.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lorraine, That sounds like one spectacular fall Shocked , at least you came out unharmed. I am always falling, (nothing as grand as yours though!) and it always knocks me for a bit. As Cathy Coins, says, lessons are probably a very good idea, perhaps even go to the indoor slope, or start off on some nice easy runs and gradually build your confidence up again. Don't let anyone bully you into doing runs that you're not ready for though. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks chaps, my other half actually videod me on the Friday on some easy reds and blues to try and show me that I was skiing ok. Its really up in my head I know....as soon as I saw the piste disappear over a ridge my stomach just lurched and I had to talk myself over each one.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lorraine, I think this is a real regular occurance. It has happened to me anyway. We always head for a long blue once we get to resort and stay on that a few hours "till we get our ski legs back" then progress slowly. I can understand when people say that you cannot learn much with one weeks skiing each year because it takes me two / three days to get back to where I was on the previous trip.

The last lessons I had he took us over the brow of the hill some 20 / 30 metres and then stopped rather than stopping right on the brow - this helped because you have already skied the hardest part.

Keep the faith.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi you can come and watch me fall - I have heard that I am Eagle-esk in my approach to leaving furrows on piste - on another thread it was suggested that the group approach to learning lets people appreciate the tumbling everyone does it - one of my mates said he had never seen anyone do a 180 on their helmet before and didnt think there would be many points for that.

I had a 30 meter fall last weekend a different mate said that all he saw was me in front of him then yellow (my jacket) and an explosion of powder.

Un-nerving being out of control but at the same time a certain amount of fun.

Best of luck hope you enjoy it again soon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lorraine, I think that it depends on conditions. Christmas week was very icy in some resorts, and I think that most of us had at least some problems with it. Now that it's snowed more, conditions will be a lot softer, and all it will take is a few falls before you realise that there's not so much to worry about. Very Happy

I'm sure that your confidence will return very quickly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lorraine, I had a similar slide to yours many years ago in Davos, but over about 100 yards. It started off OK, just another fall (I think that I collided with a piste marker which some idiot had stuck in the middle of the piste, instead of the edge), but I went faster and faster, on a fairly gentle piste, which then got steeper. I lost my skis, managed to turn round to be feet first and tried to use my poles, to no avail (I'm 16 stone, which takes a bit of stopping). The piste took a sharp left and became a road and I appeared to be heading for a precipice. A brave chap positioned himself to stop me from hurtling over, but when I was about 10 yards away, he saw exactly what was approaching and very sensibly bottled it and leapt aside (probably just as well for both of us). I hurtled off the piste and landed fairly gently in several feet of very, very, cold snow, about 5 yards off the bottom of the piste. Chilly, but otherwise unharmed (luckily I'd already lost my dignity, so that was undamaged).

I tend to the view that I've had some apparently dreadful wipes and lived to tell the tale, so there's not too much to worry about. If your cojones are still AWOL in Hintertux, the private lesson idea is a good one; it's worked for a few people I know who've misplaced their mojos. Don't be even slightly ashamed of sticking to gentle runs until you feel comfortable again.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lorraine, Given your fall I would be exactly the same. Some nice snow in Feb, a few good blues under your belt and the confidence will return. Take it steady.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells bells Richmond!...I think I will go off on my own for a private lesson - I will drive down the valley to somewhere where the family are not and try to book someone who speaks English well enough for me to explain my predicament to. I think I just need some stratagies to help me get over the 'piste disappearing over a ridge' panic. that was the biggest issue. Thanks everyone.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Joining the "loss of bottle" club here! I pretty much lost it totally a couple of years ago when, after 3 days of privates with an instructor who kept telling me I wasn't doing things right (worst lessons ever, she was getting us to do things differently from any other instructor and didn't explain why) had already knocked my confidence for six, and after all that I had some w**nker ski over the back of my skis, on my mental block piste, nobody else around so no need to go so close to me, and sliced my trousers. To an extent I've never really got over that combination. Also, although I don't fall very often, the last couple of times I have, I've hurt myself (badly bruised thumb, and 3 weeks ago banged up the bottom knuckle of my right little finger - still can't lift a kettle or shake hands). Rationally I know I can do all sorts, but my fear levels are a bit high atm. Hopefully the helmet should help a bit. Anyway, the point of that ramble was to say, I had 2 hours private with a different instructor the day after the trouser slicing incident, specifically to get my bottle back, and the difference was AMAZING. It really helped! So the first thing I'd do in Hintertux, if I were you, is get a private lesson and explain that while your skiing technique is level X, your head is at level X-3.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch wrote:
I had some w**nker ski over the back of my skis ... and sliced my trousers.

I don't want you to have relive a painful memory, but how the hell did that happen? Were you having a crafty dump at the side of the piste, a la that woman runner whose name I can't remember?

The helmet idea is a good one, perhaps, for Lorraine. I wear one and it has encouraged me to ski a bit faster - I was (probably still am) a bit too slow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lorraine, I second (or third) the idea that a private lesson is likely to help. So long as the instructor iknows the problem. But as richmond, says, don't be ashamed to stay on easy pistes for a while - that will help build confidence - they also have undulations you know. Don't let yourself be "pushed" (or push yourself) back to confidence. Take your time, give yourself the benefit of the doubt, and it will return. Promise. Very Happy
ski holidays
Lorraine, is it possible to ski with a group that has a similar level of confidence/ability? I don't know if it is case with you, but I feel pressure to keep up with more confident family members or friends can be unnerving and counter-productive.
latest report
richmond wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
I had some w**nker ski over the back of my skis ... and sliced my trousers.

I don't want you to have relive a painful memory, but how the hell did that happen? Were you having a crafty dump at the side of the piste, a la that woman runner whose name I can't remember?

Er no to the second part! And for the first part, to be honest I don't really remember. All I can imagine is that he suddenly realised how close to me he was and turned quickly, but in the process the outside edge of his old uphill ski brushed the bottom of my outside leg as the slice is horizontal about 4 inches from the bottom hem. Not funny
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Not funny

Oh, I dont know. Looking back, it must raise a rueful smile, no?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 6-01-06 13:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Well I have kept the trousers as a cautionary tale to self/trophy/shaggy dog story [delete as applicable]. I suppose it could have been worse, but ever since I'm excessively wary of well dressed French blokes with their knees surgically attached to one another. I just seem to have bad luck and always attract the out of control skiers Sad
snow report
Lorraine, When I go skiing, I like to head for an easy run for the first 2 hours or so in order to get back into the swing of things.

Paul Mason, I can completely relate to what you are saying about taking a few days to get back to where you were previously.
snow report
Your a victim of your own post. Your post suggests you've take a Physicological blow, so give it one back. You're not the skier that fell over, that was just circumstance, it will happen again sometime, but thats skiing. Are you going to give up? Nahhhhh You've skied well before? YES, then you'll ski well again, focus on the positive, you'll be fine, just nature's way of asking if this is something you really want to do. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I see you are from Northumberland. If your not going till late in February you may be able to get some practice in at one of the Scottish 'resorts' I know there isnt much snowsports at the minute but who knows in a couple of weeks. Get yourself a lesson on real snow. I have a hate for dry slopes, can make things worse I think if your confidence has taken a knock. Especially as it can hurt a hell of alot more in a fall.
snow conditions
Quote:

I have a hate for dry slopes, can make things worse I think if your confidence has taken a knock. Especially as it can hurt a hell of alot more in a fall.

I don't want to go to a dry ski slope for that reason, the last thing I need to do at the minute is wipe out on a dry ski slope - I am really afraid of falling again and going past the 'its just a fall' point in my head like I did last week. I was just so frightened and I am worried that another one of those would be my last visit on piste. I'm not given to melodrama but it really has messed up my confidence.

I think I will do the private lesson thing and hopefully sort it out.
snow report
Lorraine, There are newer dryslope surfaces around today - Snowflex is one. It's a carpet (won't catch your thumbs), and falling on it doesn't hurt. If your nearby slope has this new surface, may be worth a go................
snow report
Lorraine, firstly sorry to hear of your slide, hope you are ok.
I think at some time or another most people hit a lack of confidence. Mine came about after a collision with a boarder who hit me, on my first day. It twisted my knee and every time I tried to do anything from skiing to using a button / t bar I went flying. Sad
I got more and more cross with my self and more and more down. Having to spend 2 days doing nothing just resting the leg.
At this point I just wanted to go home and never see a ski again.
By the fifth day I decided to try for a private lesson and this made a lot of difference.
The instructor took me on some really gentle slopes and very slowly built my confidence up. Didn’t really get much off the nursery slopes but at least I left feeling a bit better.
That was a couple of years ago and now I’m slowly getting better. Knee still gives me hassle and I can’t do steep stuff but willing to try.
Guess, what I’m trying to say is
1. don’t give up, remember it’s for fun
2. 2. get some private sessions / lessons to build confidence
3. remember you are doing this for fun, so take it at your own speed.

Good luck snowHead
latest report
First bit sounds just like me -hopefully 2nd bit will too. Let you know how I get on in February Smile
ski holidays
Lorraine, Yup - private lesson is the way to go - but play round on very easy slopes and learn to fall on them whilst still having fun. Falling without hurting yourself can be fun and part of the game. That's what I tell myself every time I fall over anyhow Blush
ski holidays
Quote:

I ended up needing my son to talk me down a steep red, one turn at a time. It was very windblown

you were very brave to go straight back to a windblown steep red piste, Lorraine, after such a bad fall. maybe you didn't really give yourself a chance to recover properly? I don't know Hintertux but maybe there are some nice places for a hot tub and massage? Do the private lesson(s), as others have suggested, but take it easy. Remember, lots of people NEVER go down windblown, crowded, nasty red pistes. You are maybe being just a teeny bit hard on yourself??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Very good point.
ski holidays
I'd go back to where you had it last and look th...oh wait, that isn't an option here NehNeh

Private lesosns sound like a good way to build your confidence back up, assuming you have a decent instructor of course.
ski holidays
Quote:

Remember, lots of people NEVER go down windblown, crowded, nasty red pistes

Given a softer option then take it. I would. There is a lot of macho c0wdoo in skiing, just do what YOU are comfortable with. Its about fun not brownie points.
ski holidays
I do tell my other half and the kids somedays that if I'd wanted to join the SAS I would have signed up! You just feel such a prat when you see other people confidently and competantly tackling something that you are dithering around at the top of! I am going to do the private lesson, I've had private lessons just with the family before and I know that they are the best way to move foreward. Thanks for everyones kind words. I will be back!!! snowHead
snow conditions
Lorraine, You don't have to do what your family do - and you definitely shouldn't feel a prat for not doing what others do. I don't jump off cliffs, and I don't like extreme slopes either - that's my right!! Toofy Grin It's you right to enjoy your holiday, and not just make sure your family enjoy theirs! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Easiski is right. I am pretty much still a beginner who struggles on harder, paticularly icy red runs. But you know what I don't care Very Happy cos Im on holiday. Its not as if going slow holds up the people behind you anyway. Whats the old saying; slow and steady wins the race. I like farting about on blue runs cos I dont have to concentrate and thats what a holiday is mainly about for me. Sure you can challenge your ability once in a while but it doesnt have to be every day. Take things at the pace you are comfortable with. I kind of see it as being slightly rebelious, not caring what others think and doing things my way, Not that im stubborn you understand Laughing
latest report
Edmundh009,
You echo my feelings - I would rather shoot down a blue confidently than panic at each corner/brow of a Red!
Lorraine,
Definately get away from family members - what better excuse! Good luck.
latest report
Lorraine "Just a fall" means 'hey ho, I've fallen over, it hurts but oh well never mind.'

Wot you experienced was true panic, probably along the lines of (and I don't think it's too much of an understatement) 'I have no control over this situation and I'm scared I'm going to die'. By the sounds of it you're not normally a fearful person, and so this occassion of utter terror must probably have felt particularly unnerving.

The phobia you've developed is entirely normal and I'd be concerned if you walked away from the accident emotionally unscathed. In psychobable speak, your phobia will persist until you have "desensitised" yourself to it. Which in English means wot everyone else has said - easing yourself back into skiing at your own pace.

But the good thing is that you're already over halfway there in having the courage to continue with the ski trip and appear already determined to NOT give in to the fear. Best wishes!
ski holidays
Nothing to add to the very sensible advice above, except to try and get a recommendation (either here or at Hintertux) for a sympathetic instructor. And tell the instructor about the loss of confidence before you start.

I had a similar loss of confidence a couple of years ago, due to a combination of being v. rusty and having an unsympathetic instructor. "You 'av zee technique!!" was frequently bellowed at me, which was no use when I didn't trust the mad instructor (who didn't seem to understand that I terrified), and had no confidence in myself anyway. Fortunately I found a more more sympathetic instructor in another group who stopped the rot, and made sure we had fun at whatever level we were capable of skiing, so the holiday wasn't a complete disaster after all.

Good luck!
latest report
Lorraine, Your stories are so familiar, but often people won't admit their fears, so make other excuses up not to do whatever it is that they are afraid of. The same thing happens with horse riders who have had a fall or nasty experience. All the suggestions here are great, but you need to get the subconscious mind to change the messages it is sending to the conscious mind, and switch off the “flight and fight” panic button. It can be hard to think logically and rationally once you are in flight mode! Unfortunately, skiing (and horse riding) is a potentially dangerous activity, and your brain is now trying its best to keep you safe, so any repetition or similar situation, will evoke feelings of potential harm and the “flight or fight” mechanism will kick in again, (releasing the same chemicals that cause us feelings of stress) I’m a Clinical Hypnotherapist (and Psychotherapist) and have been using my professional skills to help horse riders and skiers for some time. If you watch professional sports people they often have funny little behaviour tricks they perform just prior to performing, this is a way of anchoring their subconscious and conscious mind, a technique used in Hypnotherapy & NLP.

I did approach snowheads admin. about advertising my Self-Hypnosis CD’s on here, & offering them a commission to go towards the costs of running this great site, but can’t seem to get a response, though I notice there are other links to commercial enterprises.
I don’t want to use this site for publicity without consent, but I’d hate for anyone to give up this great sport, when I know that something might just work. There are no guarantees with alternative/complimentary therapies, but if it can help with Flying Fears, Driving Fears and horse riders that have lost their confidence, there is no reason why it shouldn’t work for you with skiing. The CD is called “Overcome your Skiing Nerves” and can be bought through www.heretolisten.co.uk . There is an article about these CD’s in the Daily Mail Ski and Board (Feb pg 30)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 19-01-06 15:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
sharon1953, I dont wish to speak out of turn but I wouldbe surprised if admin wasn't interested in something like this. There is nothing else like it on SnowHeads. The techniques in skiing are totally opposite to normal laws of physics etc. e.g. the more you lean down the hill the slower and more in control you will be. Concepts like this are hard to grasp which leads me believe that skiing is 50% "in the head". Horse riding is very similar. Good luck with your product.
ski holidays
sharon1953, Admin's in Austria (I think) and he has been very busy (I'm partly responsible Embarassed ), give him a bit of slack and try again next week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy