Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight Loss — How much does it help when skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, you need more cider, evidently.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words Wink
I do like my cider and having stopped smoking in my late 30's so i kinda ballooned in weight.
Last season i went from same to 180lbs in a couple of months so can do it this year.
Oddly im quite healthy , went for a medical a few weeks ago and everything was spot on , whatever the weight thing they said i only had around 20lbs to lose because of how im made up.
Purely down to drink , i do keep an eye on what i eat and everything is freshly made etc , breakfast is porridge and fruit everyday. I do around 1700 calories a day but when you add 4/5000 on one night its easy to see how it happens.
As for skiing , im always 1st on the lifts and last off so fitness isnt too bad, its now that ive got better that i feel my skiing cant progress to the next level without weight loss and more fitness.
Anyways , ill be popping on here in a 4 weeks to see how much ive took off Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@musher, but surely it has further to travel?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hawkwind, Little Angel keep us posted!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hawkwind, I share your goals - 210 lbs / 180cm now and want to shed 20lbs ahead of next ski season. I'll follow your progress with mutual respect!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I lost 3 stone on the 5+2 diet. I did a bit more exercise but not a huge amount. I was 18st 10lb and got down to 15st 7lb before I went to Belle Plagne this year. I noticed a MASSIVE difference in my skiing. General fitness was vastly improved. I didn't get as hot. Walking carrying skis was much easier and I didn't get nearly as much thigh burn or sore feet as I had previously.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Day 1
Success!
A calorie tracking app is good , try and stick to around 1500 and the weight will come off without much effort.
Ill drop by in a few weeks with an update , gl all Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hawkwind, wink wink

@Gaza, i like the 5:2 thing, as does my o.h. I probably eat likebthat normally anyway. Makes me feel better if nothing else.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, as I have high BP and cholesterol I have blood tests every 6 months. Since starting the 5:2, and continuing with it, all my results are well within the 'normal' ranges. It does live up to the medical benefits outlined in the book.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@musher, but surely it has further to travel?

No, cider still fills up the left leg first, then the right wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@musher, from the interpiperies, "In an average healthy adult, the volume of blood is about one-eleventh of the body weight"

lose weight, lose blood.

Pity it doesn't work quite the same way in reverse.

Entropy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hawkwind, Good luck, stick with it. Once you get results it will really motivate you. Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This summer I set myself a 6 month goal so that by October I will have

a) Kept salt levels for 2015 below 6g per day average
b) maintained regular yoga and exercise
c) keep alcohol levels for 2015 to date below 6 units per week average

I am on target to achieve a) (5g per day on average so far in 2015) and b) having achieved 2.3 jogs per week (approximately 8.2 miles per week) with a brief yoga and stretching session before and after jogging. c) has proved more elusive to date, and I have to stop drinking completely to achieve my target (or get close to it). I am averaging 9 units per week for 2015 so far (I record volume and alcohol strength of every drink, and do not make estimates of units; often I just take the number of units from the bottle although sometimes this is incorrect or not even published), which is one of my highest since 2009 should I continue at this rate of consumption. (A Scottish health Survey in 2008 found that Scottish men on average drink 18 units per week and Scottish women drink 8.6 units per week. An England and Wales health Survey in 2008 suggest men drink 17.1 units per week and women drink 8.7 per week. The article suggests that there is significant under reporting in the survey, and suggests the actual figures are probably closer to 28.3 units per week for men and 14.4 units per week for females)

I should say that the pattern of my drinking habits has been to abstain completely in winter, and then make some homebrew in April. Drink it all by August, and then gradually wean myself off alcohol again. This pattern looks likely to be repeated (although the upcoming Rugby world cup may postpone the dry spell), so I may achieve 6 units per week by the end of 2015 but will probably fail on this target by October.

2 out of 3 aint bad, but I will have to do better next time (or adjust the targets so that they are more realistic)

I do not set targets on my weight, although I do monitor my calorie intake and my weight regularly. I am actually losing weight slightly this summer, whilst averaging over 3000 calories per day. My weight is very slightly above ideal weight for my height, with a BMI of 22.3. (a BMI of 22 is ideal)

snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 21-08-15 9:59; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another 5:2-er here! 6ft and down from around 240lbs to a not-quite-so-round 200lbs over about 18mths.

@PeDaSp, @hawkwind - I noticed the difference most in my knees when skiing. It was a massive difference too so good luck and stick with it! A lot less discomfort/pain at the end of the day even in the bumps or tough conditions.

Like @phliwig mentioned, a different disciple worked for me - after losing a bit I had a bash at telemark. The extra effort required was a great workout and learning something new kept things interesting. Also nothing makes alpine skiing feel easier on the legs than a few warm up days on teles! Now I mix and match - much stronger at alpine but have great fun with both.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I lost about 6 stone through a combination of kicking the junk out of my diet and a lot of exercise rather than calorie reduction. Has done wonders for my skiing. My technique has always been reasonable but now instead of needing a coffee break after each run I can go top to bottom of resort without stoping and at the end of the day am still raring to go (not bad for 57).

It has also got rid of the severe knee pain in my left leg that was killing my right hand turns.

Downside was that I had to buy a new wardrobe Smile
snow report
@Posidrive, I never get knee pain during exercise, but I find that I get delayed pain usually two days after exercising my knees. I have recently discovered that wearing compression support over my left knee while sleeping after exercise (usually jogging), completely eliminates any morning pains (which are gone shortly after rising anyway).

I think the reasoning behind this is that it provides additional blood to the area at a time when all the muscle and tendon repair occurs in the body. It is only a theory, as I have never read anything on this.

I never get knee pain during or after skiing. Probably related to how I ski, compared to how I jog. (I usually avoid mogul fields)

snowHead
snow report
@Bigtipper, weighing and recording everything you eat for a week or so might give most of us a better insight into our diets and where we kid ourselves about intake v. output. However, we would then take this on board, know when we have been " naughty" , try to compensate for a day or two and maintain equilibrium. If you still binge after years of recording everything, then you must have a very odd relationship with food & drink. Why would calorie intake go up because you drink? Prepare dinner, don't cook extra except if is going to be another meal to put on one side, then enjoy the calorie controlled meal with your wine/beer allowance for the day. Do not buy crisps etc. for home, only occasional pub treat.
snow report
@Bigtipper, moguls should not cause knee pain if skied properly
snow conditions
@Scrumpy, I know why calorie intake goes up when I drink. I also have no reason to cancel this out, as my appetite increases when I drink alcohol. My weight is not in general affected in the long run by this. I enjoy it, and it causes no health issues beyond the alcohol consumption. Indeed the additional magnesium from the nuts tends to have beneficial effects.

@under a new name, I do not ski properly (it depends on your definition of properly) and especially on moguls. I have no real desire to master this, and as I get older it becomes increasingly unlikely that I will be remotely interested. This also goes for park snowsports, jumping onto icy rails, or spinning in the air doing somersaults. The main aspect of skiing I enjoy is the sunshine, exercise, and sliding. I expect adrenalin has something to do with it, as I also enjoy other adrenalin sports. I do not particularly enjoy spending time skiing in white out conditions, snowing conditions, or icy conditions. (which also can cause knee problems) Consequently, spending one week a year skiing is not my bag. I spend longer there, and do not ski every day. Or I just ski in Scotland.

snowHead
snow report
pam w wrote:
@maggi, I do agreed that ready made and processed foods are full of rubbish and actually I very rarely eat them. However, I am simply not prepared to accept that the calories in food like superb cheeses, Creme Fraiche d'Issigny, unpasteurised fresh cream, confit of duck, almond croissants, hand made French chocolates, black forest gateaux, etc etc etc will not work in just the same way as a calorie in a tesco value beefburger with oven chips.

maggi wrote:
@pam w, oh yes, a calorie is a calorie whichever way you look at it. But some are pointless, worthless, hidden calories. And some are worth all the exercise you have to do to get rid of the consequences Laughing . (Mmmm, cheese!)

Not quite...

The body treats a calorie of carbohydrate quite differently to a calorie of protein or fat, for example. Google carbohydrates, insulin and fat storage if you're interested.

This is from a friend of mine - read his own caveats, as it's the 'study' obviously isn't conclusive!

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

Quote:
The aged old question asked by nutrition scientists and dieters alike is, is a calorie a calorie? If you asked this question to a physicist the undoubted and correct answer would be a resounding YES without hesitation along with quoting part of the first law of thermodynamics “in an isolated system energy can be neither created nor destroyed” and that would be the end of the discussion. The laws of thermodynamics are 100% true and never need to be discussed again.

However, when it comes to nutrition there seems to be debate on this topic. Although a calorie is a calorie as the food sits on your plate, when it enters your body it is introduced to a highly complex organism that has many biochemical processes that will use, store and “dump” the calories in your food in different ways. The notion that we are just a simple calorie formula, adding and subtracting calories from a predetermined daily energy expenditure by nature is a fundamental flaw in how we perceive food and go about weight management. In a clear and concise statement, a calorie is a calorie but the nutrients of the food and your individual biochemistry dictate how your body expresses those calories.
ski holidays
I coach rowing. Just to the disabled these days. Going back to the original post the advice is simple. Fat burning is very different from making yourself hyperfit. Lots of UT2 training or 60-70% of max heart rate. Do this nearly everyday of the week. But always give yourself a day off a week. Keep off your favourite tipple but no need to be religious about it. Keep off snacks, fast food etc but eat well you will need energy for the training. The stamina will build with weight loss. If not started for winter start now.
Running is not necessarily a way to go at 55. Bike, spin bike, rowing machine (used properly) etc are good. My knees are crap so cycling for me.
Start with 15 or 20 mins a day and build week by week. I am use to it so will do up to 90mins on a spin bike by November each year. I do puzzles to elevate the boredom.
You will still ache a bit back on the slopes but you will be able to keep going unless you a doing something pretty extreme.
ski holidays
@clarky999, yes, I understand a fair bit about the GI of food, having lived with a Type 1 diabetic. But the notion that "good food" (e.g. home made chocolate ice cream with organic eggs and cream and top quality chocolate) is likely to be less fattening than the junk food equivalent (Tesco Value?) is wishful thinking. The number of people who swear they eat very few calories but are still fat attest to the ability of people to delude themselves that they can cheat the laws of physics.
latest report
Well lads and lasses ive been very good and stayed off the cider , been a bummer but to motivate ive been looking at an early season trip Wink
Also been watching the diet and out hill walking most days, been going for almost a month.
Weight is 196lbs now , long way to go and it gets harder as it tends to go slower now but all very positive.

For any other folk watching the thread , keep at it , set small goals to motivate and dont make it too much of a drag , good luck all!
snow report
Good going hawkwind Smile Keep it up
snow conditions
Cycling has really helped my fitness and ability to ski for far longer than before. Still cannot ski any better, mind.
ski holidays
well done @hawkwind - booking an early season trip is a really good motivator. snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

booking an early season trip is a really good motivator.

That must be where I'm going wrong. Confused
ski holidays
I really need a kick up the rear where weight is concerned and I know that part of my problem is the same as @hawkwind, I like red wine.

I like it far too much Sad / Very Happy (depending on which way you look at it)

5:2 should have started today but we're having a ski meeting tonight... Which will include red wine Sad / Very Happy (again) so I guess it won't start tomorrow either as I'll be feeling the after effects.

I have no motivation, thats another of my problems, I can do well for a few days then just get fed up with it and have a lapse. I try and keep steady with a reasonable amount of road riding but I'm not getting any thinnner. I think I need hypnosis or something rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@homers double,
Yeah i have tried losing weight and i know the drink is what keeps it on.
At the very least it reduces by determination , when ive had a few i am more laid back about what i eat and drink, usually involving many "one mores" Smile
Dont be so hard on yourself , at least your trying , gotta be realistic , make small changes and that will make all the difference.
Things like 5/2 etc are all too hard , you do it for a while then get fed up , try making small lifestyle changes instead.
Good luck , i had a massive blow out last week which included 5 tequilas after loads of Guinness and cider , my god did i feel it the next day! put me off in fact.
Anyways even with that im down to 193lbs.
So hopefully a bit of motivation for anyone else in a similar boat , seriously , if i can do it - anyone can!
snow report
hawkwind wrote:
Things like 5/2 etc are all too hard , you do it for a while then get fed up , try making small lifestyle changes instead.

This has always been what I've thought is the best approach...I'm just not very good at applying it. A few years ago we did a 3 month 'Fat Club' at work to see who could lose the most, some people lost a load in the first week or two but quickly bounced back up. I on the other hand just stopped eaten so much chocolate and bread and gradually lost just over a stone. Unfortunately my boss then decided that a fitness regime would do me good and signed me up for a 3km open water swim, which meant plenty of training. People quickly started to comment that it wasn't doing me much good, and that was largely down to the swimming. I found that I'd get really tired and hungry, with a craving for fatty foods, the real killer was that I had to drive past a popular fried chicken outlet on the way from the pool to my house. And of course once I stopped swimming I didn't manage to easily kick the eating, so very quickly put a lot of weight back on. I think that the cycling I'm doing is helping a lot now, plus I'm skint so can't afford much beer, the problem now is trying to keep motivated and riding when it's cold, wet and dark...a set of decent lights are calling.
snow conditions
I'm looking forward to skiing this season, and this motivating me to go down the gym.
If I didn't ski I'd have no reason to get fit, so skiing is a really important item for me.

I need all the help I can get, I weigh 12st 9lb and I'm 66 .. I love real ale and my wife's a fantastic cook, I love her as well.
I tried on a pair of Martin's Mojos last trip out and they helped a whole lot too.
latest report
Many thanks for everyones input; and I hope this thread has spurred folks onto healthier eating and getting fit for the slopes.

Luckily for me, I don't have the alcohol gene in my DNA, and so don't drink anyway. But I do have a deathly sweet-tooth; and I find cold-turkey is the best solution for that (figuratively).
snow report
It's definitely useful.
But, the progress of training or exercise is dependent on your own body status. I recommend that put it on a 3 years plan.
Loss weight extremely, sometimes loss muscle, then loss strength. You have to get a balance, and don't get hurt. As your age, it's not a easy work.

But combine different training items, not only make you loss weight, or the fat, and improve your strength of muscle and ligament, flexibility of joints, agility of your body. It's useful for any kind of sports.

On the slope, join a ski course, you could get a style skiing more fast, more stable, but more safe and relax.

And then, more important, not only for skiing, you will build up a more healthy lifestyle for next 20 years.

(I have lossed 17.5 kg in the past 6 years. Thru trekking, short hiking, mountain climb, rock climb, with hiit indoor and gym exercise improve a lot of strength of muscle, mainly on the core. )
ski holidays
After 1 week or 2 weeks hard work, control food, loss weight 2 kg, good news ?
after another 1 week, no more loss.
and another 1 week, no any change.
just one dinner, it's back to last month !!!! OMG !!!

Don't worry about that, it's normal.
Your body is adapting what you eat and what you training. Be patient, give your body a little time, let it know what it needs and how much.

Get your favorite desert, and then enjoy 30 mins walking in the woods.
snow report
@hawkwind, remember that muscle weighs substantially more than fat so a simple weigh might not tell you very much.

better to keep an eye on waist (and other high fat collecting area) measurements at the same time.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@hawkwind, remember that muscle weighs substantially more than fat so a simple weigh might not tell you very much.

better to keep an eye on waist (and other high fat collecting area) measurements at the same time.

That's true. I'm actually not really paying much attention to whether I'm losing much weight, I don't want to get hung up on the initial figures and do the time honoured thing of losing 2 stone and putting 3 back on. What is a big difference is my fitness generally, which has improved vastly. Because I'm only cycling about 3 different woodland trails I can easily compare how much better (or worse) I feel from one week to the next. For example when I started out there was a blue trail that I stopped about 5 or 6 times in one circuit, I can now do the same circuit without stopping at all. Likewise there's another run that I would stop in the same places during the first 4 or 5 times that I attempted it, but can now easily cycle past most of them. I'm hoping that this isn't just a case of me learning how to exploit the trail and the bike to make things easier, and will actually transfer to how I feel when skiing.
snow report
In all honesty my downfalls are alcohol and nibbling. We generaly eat a very good diet of lean meat, steamed or boiled vedge, fish, salads etc. Probably have a little more olive oil on the spuds than we should though.

Anyway, today was day one of the 5:2 and as I feel a right fat git at the moment I decided day one would be afasting day. So far I have consumed 280 calories and expended 1600 with a 47km bike ride this mornign before work.

We also need some bathroom scales but if in 4 weeks the trousers I'm currently wearing aren't as tight I know I'm heading the right way.
ski holidays
@homers double, "...a 47km bike ride this mornign before work." I love the way you just throw that in — I get exhausted just changing by duvet cover Very Happy Very Happy

But I seriously do need to get on a bike; I think it's excellent exercise in so many ways, and would really help my skiing I think.
snow report
@PeDaSp, I try.

As it's a fasting day today my "treat" is a cup of tea WITH MILK to take to bed Skullie
ski holidays
Well day one was a roaring success - 536 calories and I didn't feel hungry and everything I ate was pretty tasty.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy