Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mont Blanc Area - Best Ski Touring Book(s)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to learn more about ski touring in the Mont Blanc area in prep for a tour or two in the coming season. Any recommendations as to best books that cover the area?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used:

The Vamos guides - very clear and small enough to slip in a pack (there is an off-piste and touring option)

The Lionel Tassen & Pierre Tardivel Guide to the Mont-Blanc area - most descents are pretty extreme, as one would expect considering the authors but still worth a look.

Alpine Ski Mountaineering Vol 1 - Western Alps by Bill O'Connor -Cicerone Press - quite a lot of information and some basic touring/skimo advice

I was also given a large coffee table guide as a present with amazing photography (not at home and can't remember the title, sorry) - Every page has a route description, map and wonderful photo of the main slope. Most are day tours. It basically shut me up for the whole of Christmas day. Maybe someone can help with the title.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice thanks Buddy, will get googling those books, I quite fancy the Anselme book, but v difficult to find. I rkn i'll start with Alpine Ski Mountaineering vol.1.
Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had a look at the AB book and personally not much difference compared to the Pierre Tardivel black book (velopress). There were a few copies of AB's "Book of Death" knocking around Chamonix. Can't quite believe it goes for the prices it does on Amazon!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For normal punters visiting cham the vamos off piste and touring books are probably best option for orientation.

The anselme baud book is out of print. Great coffee table read, of questionable benefit to non extremos.
It doesnt sell for the inflated prices on amazon
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

For normal punters visiting cham the vamos off piste and touring books are probably best option for orientation.

The anselme baud book is out of print. Great coffee table read, of questionable benefit to non extremos.

+1
I have both and totally agree
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I love going "Au Vieux Campeur" in Albertville and browsing the section with loads of walking and climbing routes, and maps. Just looking at them makes you feel gnarly. Then I buy something like "Easy family walks for 3 year olds in the Beaufortain".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
<offtopic>

@pam w, I was pleased to come across a book on UK wild runs last weekend, and see that I'd done 2.5 of them (one regularly)!

</offtopic>
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I love going "Au Vieux Campeur" in Albertville and browsing the section with loads of walking and climbing routes, and maps. Just looking at them makes you feel gnarly. Then I buy something like "Easy family walks for 3 year olds in the Beaufortain".

Very Happy

One of the things I'm enjoying about having a place in the Alps is the excuse to build "Jed's mountain library". I've always loved maps and I've got an embarrassment of those now. The shelf has my old Alpine Club guides to the Mont Blanc Massif, the vamos books, ABBBoD, Cicerone walkinig guides, "Staying alive in avalanche terrain", been adding crag climbing guides of late as I rebuilt my climbing gear when I was out in Les C this summer and inflicted a bit of climbing on the kids (as well as sneaking off for some proper climbing with a mate). Could browse through them for ages planning adventures I wont get round too Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the old Vamos Chamonix off-piste guide which is excellent and I'm about to replace it with the newer Vamos Mont-Blanc off-piste guide.

I also have the Anselm Baud book of death - which is interesting to look at

I plan to buy the Vamos Mon-Blanc skit touring guide shortly

There is also one other book not mentioned here that I picked up last season which is: Mont Blanc Freeride by Domenico Giusti and Giorgio Passino (in Italian, French and English) which is pretty good though not so easily pocketable (I usually photograph the route pages on my phone). It also has a rather nice intro which begins "In the infinite variety of boots, skis and accessories, is maybe the case to bring also a pinch of good old fear. It doesn't take a lot of space and you can squeeze it until it almost disappears...."
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy