Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1.2kM Piste - INDOORS !!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yes Dubai is at it again with the mega projects.

http://www.thenational.ae/opinion/editorial/snow-and-sand

The longest indoor snow slope (by some way) in the world. The existing one here in Dubai is about 400m.
And the planned development also includes a Shopping Mall (but of course), the world's tallest residential tower (711m - who wants to live up there with the lightning strikes?), a Marina and a Beach. You might think 'so what....' for the latter 2 - but it's miles from the coast!!

More http://www.thenational.ae/business/property/meydan-launches-huge-dubai-project-with-worlds-tallest-residential-tower

It's got Sheikh Mo's blessing and he's the boss. It's near the big horserace track etc so in a prime location.
As long as we don't have another financial crash, it'll probably go ahead. Will it be finished, though?

sH thoughts??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That if I wanted to ski in that part of the world, Iran has real ski resorts in real mountains.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dogwatch, agreed and I've skied some of them when I lived there. But après ski tends to be a bit lacking. wink Couldn't yet recommend making a special trip to ski Iran !! And visas are still a hassle. Lebanon has been known to have some decent skiing - but it's not guaranteed. Some years OK. Others not.

If this thing ever gets built, you can guarantee it'll be good.
This developer is not the same one who built Ski Dubai in Mall of the Emirates (which is already very good - of its type) and we are into the skiing equivalent of a-who-pisses-highest contest.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-08-15 7:37; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I was in the area I'd give it a go - but otherwise I'd rather spend my money to get into the alps.

I'm kind of torn re. the overall idea - I like the idea from a novelty point of view, but really dislike the thought of the environmental impact, oil costs etc required to do such a thing in Dubai Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fixx, the current one is astonishingly well insulated - mainly using just trapped still air - which is free and non-polluting. The difference in energy consumption from high summer to darkest mid winter (which of course ain't that cold outside) is only 11%.
So a big fridge here is actually not that much worse than one built anywhere else from an environmental viewpoint - not that I'm saying any indoor ski resort is good for the environment. They are not - but if they help folks to learn who would otherwise not, they can't be all bad.

No human activity is ever totally environmentally impact-free; but hopefully Gaia can cope with most of it.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 6-08-15 6:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whats the vertical drop like? Because judging by the IOC selection criteria it could be a future Olympic Downhill venue. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On Ski Dubai's energy usage, I've found a bit more info.
Quote:
Out of the 52 megawatts (MW) consumed by the whole of the Mall of Emirates, Ski Dubai uses four MW.
not a lot really and it gives some of that back as they use the melting 'scrap' snow to assist the Chilled Water plant for the whole of the Mall. Mall Doors opening to the open air probably waste loads more power than Ski Dubai uses.

Lots more about how the place works in this article. From 2011. Gosh it's 10 years old already. Time flies when you're having fun. snowHead
http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-10699-the-big-chill/1/print/

Just cancel the 'print' command - this link gives an ad-free easy read. The guy in charge at that time came from Serre Chevalier. Maybe some sHs know him?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dubaian, thanks for that - really interesting!

I have actually skied in Ski Dubai, and it was fun, but I did feel guilty about it - less so now Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowworld in Landgraaf are currently offering a month long ski pass for the whole of August for 45 euro. It is 500m long and used by some national teams for summer training.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
Snowworld in Landgraaf are currently offering a month long ski pass for the whole of August for 45 euro. It is 500m long and used by some national teams for summer training.

Landgraaf is a fantastic facility, weve just got back from race training there. Common misconception its not 500m long but its two slopes are .. Toofy Grin its still miles better than any of the indoor slopes here in the UK,
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The 520m long slope at Landgraaf is only the 3rd longest in Europe. At 640m the Alpine Centre Bottrop slope is the longest followed by the IIRC the only indoor snow centre in France, SnowHall Amnéville at 620m
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why?

Wouldn't the UAE be wiser to spend some money on improving their human rights?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Why?

Wouldn't the UAE be wiser to spend some money on improving their human rights?

Life is much cheaper and easier for them to have virtual slave labour build vanity projects then worry about things like human rights.

Words do no accurately describe how little I think of Dubai....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kioksor wrote:
Words do no accurately describe how little I think of Dubai....

Spent any time in Saudi Arabia? I don't think there's much "virtual" about the slave labour. The Bangladeshi labourers and Filipino maids literally cannot go home until their (years-long) contracts are finished.

The look I've seen on the face of a maid in a car said "Here I am on the way to my nightly beating" (or worse). I have never seen anybody look so miserable, up to and including the terminally ill.

I've never been happier to leave a place. Fortunately I could leave when I wanted.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy