Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Know anything about Mountainsun?

Poster: A snowHead
Alright folks, I'm planning my next winter season and I'm pretty much decided that I want to do my Anwaerter in Tirol..... But....

A lady came into my work last week and had a chat with the manager about recruiting staff to work abroad on a winter season. Straight away I asked for more info and today we had a meeting with a nice lady from Mountainsun holidays, who I'd never heard of before. After last season I can really see the advantage in getting work, travel, accommodation all sorted before leaving the UK but I've worked for a small UK tour operator before so I know the disadvantages too....

So has anyone on here been on holiday, or better still, worked for Mountainsun? I'd like to know if the resorts they operate in are as dead as they appear after a cursory search (Les Boisses, San Cassiano, San Martino, Les Coches and Villaroger).

Also, they seem to be offering 'Ski Hosting' which I believed could result in a night in the cells in France? Have the laws changed in France or have they found a sneaky way to get around this?

I'm not sure if I'll take a job with them but a few of my friends are keen and I'd like to think they're not going off to work for another Snowcoach...

Any advice appreciated Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Villaroger is as dead as they come. No bar, no ski hire shop even. Not sure if there are any other chalets except the mountainsun one. Les coches has a fair bit going on, several bars and a club. Quite a few chalet companies so fair number of seasonnaires. Definitely stuff to keep you entertained.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try using the search feature, plenty of people have written trip reports on here.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've stayed in MountainSun's chalet / hotel in San Cassiano 3 times and the staff have always seemed fairly happy with their lot.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've stayed a few times both early and late season at their place in Les Boisses and the staff seem very happy and content (I think it's very hard work though as they do lots of short breaks so lots of transfers and change overs) with many returning staff which is always a good sign.

Tignes Les Boisses itself is pretty quiet but I think the staff manage to get up the hill to Le Lac and Val Claret on a night fairly regularly plus it's only about 10-15 minutes drive into Val D'Isere from the hotel too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've stayed at Les Boisses quite a few times. I've met both happy and unhappy staff there. They didn't do hosting but I've always been on short breaks. You need transport to get out in the evenings but skiing from there is fine providing there is snow. Village is dead in the evenings but the bar is lively.

Stayed at San Cassiano once. Staff I talked to seemed very happy but this is ski in ski out so what's not to like. This one was the only one where they did ski hosting. I was with a group so didn't go out in the evening.

Stayed at San Martino once. Nearest lift is not walkable so staff, on split shifts, were unable to ski unless they had own transport. At least a couple were very unhappy. Ski hosting was advertised but it didn't happen on the week I was there. I didn't really find out why but didn't pursue it. Village is dead in the evening.

(Of course, my experiences may not be typical. I may just have a sympathetic face so people tell me their troubles Laughing .)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with views on Tignes Les Boisses and San Martino (very quiet). The guys who hosted were very intermediate skiers but keen to impart knowledge. The Tignes crew were a mix of working older ski bums and early 20ish girls. All very helpful. Food okay.

Les Coches is a quieter part of La Plagne but are bars and a centre to enjoy. Great position for tree skiing and the link to Les Arcs. The chalet staff managed a few hours a day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a company, I quite like Mountainsun but San Martino is quiet, really quiet - the staff were getting a bit tense even in January - by mid-March I reckon things could be getting more edgy.
Here's a vid from one of the staff's nights off - as you can see, the snow's OK though.

http://youtube.com/v/WDpipB4yehk
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mountain Sun in Tignes were great when I went last year, staff seemed as happy as you would expect!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the info so far, very useful stuff. I'm used to being in Mayrhofen so I think these places will be a bit quiet for me, even if the skiing is better than Zillertal.

But, can anyone confirm to me the stance on 'ski hosting' in France? As far as I know it is illegal to lead a group unless you are a qualified ESF instructor (or something) but when I persisted in asking the recruitment boss she just kept saying that because Mountainsun don't offer instruction it was all fine, which wasn't even what I was asking.

At the moment I think I might stick in an application anyway, just so there's something to fall back on...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@huw_jenks, She is plain wrong. If you're getting paid, YOU will be illegal. Your risk basically because it'll be you getting arrested and prosecuted and ending up with a French criminal record probably and a depleted bank account. Ski Club of Great Britain (even with their volunteer leaders), and Crystal Holidays for example have all had to cease hosting in France.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@admin, Laughing and there was I, trying to be diplomatic Little Angel .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The manager who looks after the French operations is excellent and is based in the Tignes hotel. I am mates with a few of the people who have worked for her over the years and she always gets top marks..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi wrote:
Stayed at San Cassiano once. Staff I talked to seemed very happy but this is ski in ski out so what's not to like. This one was the only one where they did ski hosting. I was with a group so didn't go out in the evening.

I've been there in March for 2012/13/14/15 - there has never been returning staff (as far as I can recollect). Whilst it's a 'cheap and cheerful' chalet hotel, ski area, ski in/out. It's quite a quiet town and there are pretty much no other British run chalets/hotels in the place, so whilst the staff would have the usual routine of work buddies being drinking / skiing buddies after a couple of weeks you've exhausted all the conversation, got drunk with them, slept with whoever will have you and then you're looking for some other play mates. Of which there are none.
I would have thought that Tignes would be a much better bet to work from, especially if you still want to 'party hard' as part of your season.

As a guest I think both places, whilst somewhat basic round their edges, are great places to stay and would go back to either tomorrow. Jam, the Tignes chalet dog is lovely too..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have stayed at the Melezes in Tignes Les Boisses several times including one New Year week. It's true that Boisses is down the mountain a bit from the main villages of Tignes but the free bus service passes right outside the chalet and is very convenient to get up to le Lac. Boisses itself has been extensively redeveloped over the last couple of years (under the new and glamorous label of Tignes 1800) and should offer a bit more life than it has in the past. As for Mountainsun I have always found them easy and helpful to deal with. Ellie, the manager at the Melezes, is competent, friendly and helpful. The rest of the staff take a lead from her and there are usually repeaters.
latest report
Though I have only been to San Martino di Castrozza in the summer I have to say it is a very plush resort. There are more 5* hotels than you can shake a fist at. IMHO it is much more up market than Cortina. I hadn't realised that any British tour operators went there and @maggi, and @admin, are probably the only snowheads to have been there. With the reputation that the Pala has in the summer for rain I have a feeling that there may be plenty of oppurtunities for powder skiing. Since the ski area looks small and has little graidient I suspect there is not much call for guiding.
snow conditions
@johnE, Sorry but the MountainSun chalet is in San Martino in Badia, about 100km from San Martino di Castrozza! San Martino in Badia is a tiny village on the edge of Kronplatz area, which is reasonable for a couple of days, but otherwise you want the bus to Pedraces for the Sella Ronda.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Oh! sorry. Next thing you know I will be setting my satnav to Les Arcs. (try it and see where you end up.)
snow conditions
Not too far from Isola 2000? I remember a thread a few years ago where somebody thought they'd found a bargain house to rent..... Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy