Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Gastein

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm considering Bad Gastein for our next ski trip. I'm wondering what it's like as a town though. Faded grandeur is good, and it does look like an interesting place. However I don't want to go somewhere completely dead. Has anyone been there recently? I understand that a lot of the grand old hotels were awaiting some sort of renovation - has that happened?

We're thinking of going on the 2nd of April, and do anticipate using SportGastein as a back up.

Many thanks,

Liam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Liam,

I have an apartment in Bad Gastein and personally I love the place. The faded grandeur of the hotels near the waterfall are still awaiting renovation (much to the frustration of the local council following long-running promises from the owner) but there are really nice hotels actually closer to the main lift station being the SalzburgerHof, Bellevue and Hotel Post.

I was there for the last week of this season from 3 April and the snow was amazing with the locals saying it was the best all season. Lower runs later in the week were slushy in the afternoon but that is to be expected in April. Conditions were so good there was no need to head up to Sport Gastein.

The town was certainly quieter than New Year or February with a few bars having shut early for the season but there was enough apres to keep us happy. The plus side was no lift queues.

Come out and give it a try. The town rocks!

Feel free to PM me if you have any question.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I really enjoyed Bad gastein where I travelled to with a non-skiing wife and friends. Attractive interesting town. Good restaurants. Great ski area though a busy run back into the town (must say I loved it as a bit combatative). Girls loved the walking and the Spas. Usual Austrian excellent value and conviviality.

Think we went mid-march and the snow was good. 2nd April is late. Sportsgastein was about 20 minutes on a bus I recollect.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mid march for us last year, skiing was great and varied, we went all over the valley and avoided the white out when the cloud came in. Apres ski was lively enough to keep some of our party out, and the bars again are lively enough to keep us all out until the early hours... Silver bullet is mentioned several times on here, and never failed to have a good night.
We taxied to the other ski areas and bus back to Bad Gastein. It feels like a town with skiing rather than a resort, life goes on around the tourists rather than depending on them, or so it felt to us.
I would go back again for the skiing, but I don't make the decisions, so no doubt we won't, but I would like to go back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone, that's very useful. I like the idea of staying in a real town, particulary as one of our party is a non-skier. My worry was that Bad Gastein is currently a collection of derelict hotels around a waterfall, with a couple of nice places clinging on for dear life by a very busy main road (that I must have read about somewhere). Sounds like a nice place though. Jagertee - I may be in touch!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Draybs74, it is almost at the end of a dead-end valley! To get anywhere else all the cars and trucks have to be loaded on to a train at Böckstein to pass through the Mallnitz tunnel! I think it is used more in summer than in winter to be honest as it can by-pass the jams that build up along the A10 Tauernautobahn.

I have always found Bad Gastein fairly quiet of an evening traffic-wise and really like the Belle Époque elegance of the buildings still remaining from the turn of the last century. Lift system is most definitely not last century though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Draybs74, careful with your choice of location. We stayed in Bad Hofgastein, but having skied above and travelled through Bad Gastein it has lots of steep bits and hairpin roads. Just something to be aware of.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy