Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Austrian resort for mixed ability group in January?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice. We have a mixed ability group of guys from total beginners to keen off piste Skiers, and we fancy going to Austria in January. We like the look of Ischgl, but we really aren't party people and are a bit put off by its reputation. St Anton doesn't sound great for the beginners. We're also concerned about the low altitude of many of the resorts - is this a risk?

The best trip we've done in the past was Meribel because of the variety of skiing and the quality of instruction (Marmalade and TDC).

Any recommendations of resorts and instructors gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tccambs, the low altitude point is probably a red herring. Austria is much further east than France and as a result is colder (the Atlantic has less of an impact on the weather). As a rule of thumb add 300m to the altitude to compare to French resorts.

Ischgl has lots of great skiing for all abilities, though you might find beginners (and certianly total beginners) would prefer to get the lift down as the runs into town are quite hectic. Plenty of off piste as well as on piste. The party atmosphere is there if you want it, but there are plenty of quieter places in town too.

I'd probably take a look at Saalbach as well and the Ski Amade region more generally.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obertauern !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Westendorf is a great place for all levels of skiing and great for party goers and for those that want a quieter night out. The Penkenbahn lift is in the centre of the town and is the best lift to use up and down, and coming down the ice bar in next to the lift open from 4 till 8 apre-ski not for the faint hearted, lots of dancing and family friendly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
s860 wrote:
Westendorf is a great place for all levels of skiing and great for party goers and for those that want a quieter night out. The Penkenbahn lift is in the centre of the town and is the best lift to use up and down, and coming down the ice bar in next to the lift open from 4 till 8 apre-ski not for the faint hearted, lots of dancing and family friendly.

Mayrhofen or Westendorf?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Any decent sized ski are is likely to fit the bill I suspect. January should be pretty snow sure, but to be safe perhaps look for 1000m plus as a resort height.
Ischgl is a great resort, partying isn't compulsory. I've had numerous ski trips to Ischgl without partying.
Saalbach Hinterglemm probably makes sense, and would come out a little cheaper I think. stay in Hinterglemm, it can be a little quieter, nursery slopes give access to village, both North and south facing sides offer a good mix. Plus for the off piste addicts fieberbrunn is now on part of the ski circus and looks like its quickly and easily accessible from anywhere on the south facing side of the valley.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tccambs, If Saalbach is under consideration PM me for a copy of my comprehensive guide to the resort, which will probably answer any questions you may have and give you a good insight into what to expect. As Bob has indicated, the top Austrian resorts tend to have a reputation for lively apres-ski, but you need not join in or be affected by it at all, provided that you don't stay in a hotel with rooms over a noisy bar or overlooking the main street. There is quietly-located, ski-in ski-out accommodation to be found in both Saalbach and Hinterglemm.

You would find Saalbach a suitable location for a mixed-ability group, with good, village-level, easily accessed nursery slopes (full lift pass not needed), 240km of pistes (mostly intermediate but also several long, satisfying blacks) for the more experienced skiers, plenty of off-piste (especially now that Fieberbrunn has been linked), good, easily-organised rendezvous points for all grades to meet for lunch or a late afternoon drink (before skiing down easy blue runs together). You would also find favourable comparisons with Meribel, which you say you liked, in that you can plan itineraries in different directions and ski all day without doing the same piste twice.

Snow conditions should not be a concern in January. At over 1000m the resort is relatively high for Austria.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tatman that sounds great, pm sent.

Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone know of a decent ski school running morning group off piste lessons like those offered by Ski Marmalade in Meribel?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tccambs, The three ski-schools that spring to mind are Zink (for private lessons), Furstauer and Snow Academy, but my knowledge is limited to Saalbach. Snowhead "quinton" may well be able to advise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We used Snow and Fun in Hinterglemm for the kids and my wife for Private tuition. Found them very good, my son still speaks fondly about the lessons. The instructor told me each day where he planned to stop for Lunch so that I could meet them, He helped my son get a correctly fitting helmet (he's something of a meakon head), progression was very fast.
http://www.skischule.com/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tccambs, All good suggestions above - couldn't disagree with any of them. I also discovered Obergurgl/Hochgurgl last year. It does all of the above with truly epic high altitude off piste as well. The big attraction for me was with the village at 2000m to start with and then adding the geographical factor of being further north and east there was no 'will there be snow/will it be good snow' stress pre the the holiday. None at all. There was snow from about late October and the resort opened second weekend in November. By January it was perfect. The only thing I would point out is that whilst the area is fine for a week for folks who want a holiday (i.e. some R&R as well as skiing) beware if you've any high mileage piste skiers with a 'never ski the same piste twice' thing because it's not for them.

Not much nightlife but legendary apres on the slopes at the Nederhutte. 60% of resort is ski-to-door. More good hotels than you can choose from. Excellent local ski school. Had one private lesson with a great instructor, I asked for very specific instruction and coaching and got somebody who did exactly what I asked for and then some.

Going back in January.

http://youtube.com/v/09Tzlw6X8UU
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a boss who took his family back to Obergurgl every year, booked the same instructor stayed in the same room @ edelweiss & gurgl each time. Sorry that's not much help.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bob,
Quote:

January should be pretty snow sure, but to be safe perhaps look for 1000m plus as a resort height.
Ischgl is a great resort, partying isn't compulsory. I've had numerous ski trips to Ischgl without partying.
Saalbach Hinterglemm probably makes sense,

Ahh yes.. those extra 3 meters do the trick wink

There is minimal risk in any ski larger ski area throughout January.
So don't panic about the height, just go to a known and recommended area and you'll be fine!
Just remember that wherever you choose to go will be pretty cold!
If you want it quiet then I recommend the first week immediately after the New Year changeover. Due to the way the days are falling this year there will be plenty of room to ski!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl all the way. Yes it's a party town but it's a very germanic party town, not a British one.

A lot of visitors are in hotels with evening meals so the bulk of people hit the apres more or less right off the slopes for a few hours drinking before drifting back to their hotels for their dinner or to find a restaurant. As a result people get to the happy-drunk level then have food, rather than drinking through to the fighty-drunk level.

That's not to say you can't keep the party going till dawn if you want but while the whole town is partying at 5pm things ease right off by 8pm. Unless you pick your accomodation really badly and are on top a nightclub sleeping with the door open because the rooms 200C (it's the alps - they all are) isn't a problem. If you're really not party people then either go direct to one of the restaurants or stop off at the Trofanna Hotel for a quiet drink in front of the open fire to the sound of a man playing lounge music on a grand piano (without paying the a-night-here-costs-as-much-as-out-weeks-holiday-including-flights price).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would highly recommend Kitzbühel, the ski area is large and has many different levels of ski runs. Plenty of off piste is up for grabs straight from a lift, which a beginner can take an easy run from. The horn would be fantastic as it is often very quiet and has plenty of runs that the less able can enjoy, and the more experienced can really stretch their legs. On the main side of the resort you have lovely restaurants and easy runs for those who aren't so into skiing alllll day. Time this January ski trip right and you can watch the world famous Hahnenkamm downhill race. Probably the best experience I've had! I've done a season in Kitz, so if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask! Smile
latest report
I should report back that in the end we've booked Tatman's apartment in Saalbach. Goes to show that it's always worth asking on Snowheads!
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
Ischgl all the way. Yes it's a party town but it's a very germanic party town, not a British one.

A lot of visitors are in hotels with evening meals so the bulk of people hit the apres more or less right off the slopes for a few hours drinking before drifting back to their hotels for their dinner or to find a restaurant. As a result people get to the happy-drunk level then have food, rather than drinking through to the fighty-drunk level..

As opposed to Solden. Although more the falling down and passing out in doorways drunk, than the fighty version. But not always.
ski holidays
@tccambs, What week are you heading out?
ski holidays
9th January
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy