Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of GB to reinstate leading in France next year

Poster: A snowHead
Well, not exactly........
SCGB have teamed up with Evolution2 ski school to offer 3 days guiding, on and off-piste in the French resorts, either 1/2 or full days at a small cost to cover the cost of the instructor.
I think this is a far better solution in the interim than the ambassador service, and am sure many members will take the service on board.
Although there will no doubt be a few that grumble that they have to pay extra for a service that was included in membership before..........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
KenX. Strange SCGB have not teamed up with ESF!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think this is priceless

ESF wanted to get rid of SCGB because they felt it was competition for them (it really was not, it appealed to people like me who could already ski, but were in a resort on their own or with less able skiers and did not want to have to ski on their tod)

Now becuase of that the club have changed their business model to actually provide ski instruction and have massively undercut the ESF prices. Well done, well done. I shall sit back and reach for my popcorn as ESF totally blow a gasket.

I hope to god that all the Evolution instructors have the right qualifications, and that they have a lot of instructors, becuase I would imagine that company will find it almost impossible to get any new instructors through the exams after this, and there existing ones will probably now be arrested every other day.

G
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gordonrussell76, evo2 are a proper ski school. All quals in place. Well established. No worries on their side.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I hope to god that all the Evolution instructors have the right qualifications

I'm sure they will and my bet is that they'll all be stagieres and ironically less qualified than many of the leaders they are replacing. It's a sensible move though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I agree, and please don't take my slightly facetious comment as impuning them in anyway, that was not my intention.

Sorry the thrust of my humour was that I would imagine that ESF will now do everything in their power to discredit Evo2 for having the temerity to assist the the club and provide cheaper tuition and competition to them.

That does raise an interseting question, SCGB must be subsidising this tuition in some way? I wander if this is a long term solution or merely a very clever negotiation stance to encourage sense to prevail on the french side.

G
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whatever 'sense' may mean.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder what will happen in those resorts that historically had reasonable SCGB repping but don't currently have Evo2 schools (e.g. Flaine). Will this be the basis for an Evo2 expansion drive?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
btw, the grumbling has already started...........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes but from the usual suspects, some positive comments too
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

they'll all be stagieres and ironically less qualified than many of the leaders they are replacing

??

Really? SCGB Leaders that well qualified after a few weeks course?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, some I've met have instructor qualifications like BASI L2 and I even found one with L3. I agree, those who have only done a 2 week course have zip but then newbie Stagieres also have zip. Can't imagine Evo 2 will put their top end instructors on the job for leading around the piste.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Madly enough, many of the SC leaders ARE actually better trained at "leading" than most instructors, just not legally entitled to do so.......
That's not to say they're better instructors because that was never part of their brief!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
similar to what Crystal did last season?

"..Last winter, Crystal introduced its Sundays-only ski-hosting service in 11 of the most popular French ski resorts. In collaboration with the Evolution 2 ski school, ski hosting services are offered by qualified instructors. In each of these resorts Crystal has chosen Evolution 2 as its main ski school partner, rather than the ESF...."
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pruman, I'm sure. Many I have met and I have met quite a few have nothing but the SCGB course and maybe experience. At least to become a stagiaire at Evo2 you would have at least to be rather a good skier (I have met some SCGB reps who weren't particularly impressive in that department either). Nothing against them but needs to be viewed in its reality.

I would be surprised, given the ESF system (I don't know how Evo2 allocate work) to see stagiaire's getting paid work if there are more senior instructors available and underemployed. I'm also not sure how many stagiaires Evo2 actually take on. It's not at all clear that the Chamonix branch have any at all (not something I monitor however, could easily be wrong although I think (!) when perusing their walls last year all the instructors listed as working there were qualified or awaiting the paperwork).

I note also that the SCGB announcement letter specifically says "As fully qualified instructors".

I'm guessing that as Evo2 have centres in 11 "Alpine" resorts then those will be the ones offering the service...
snow report
Several of the Evo2 instructors in L2A are Italian Maestro de sci so fully istd. They have also been working with Mark Warner. However there hasn't been a Ski Club of Great Britain presence for some while so I doubt they'll offer the service.
ski holidays
So if I have this straight you pay SCGB membership in order to access an Evo2 group "lesson" at a discounted rate. Guess that's OK as a value proposition ( just to annoy Nadenoodle) but surely no need for that membership fee to be funding reps/scambassadors in those resorts now?
snow conditions
I had a piste tour with a local instructor with Crystal last year in Serre Chevalier. Excellent and much better than the old rep tour.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
So if I have this straight you pay SCGB membership in order to access an Evo2 group "lesson" at a discounted rate. Guess that's OK as a value proposition ( just to annoy Nadenoodle) but surely no need for that membership fee to be funding reps/scambassadors in those resorts now?

Far from it old boy. Would you have members being required to collude with and oversee the local tradespeople? No, clearly not.
One needs a decent chap on the ground to manage the staff. A sort of "mountain butler" if you will.
ski holidays
@Claude B, but, SCGB have said 11 resorts, Evo2 have 11 "outposts" - seems like a reasonable match to me, non? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Super Chap Great Bloke = David Goldsmith?
ski holidays
No SCGB leaders in France
No SCGB ambassadors in France

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 23-07-15 11:44; edited 2 times in total
latest report
limegreen1 wrote:
Far from it old boy. Would you have members being required to collude with and oversee the local tradespeople? No, clearly not.
One needs a decent chap on the ground to manage the staff. A sort of "mountain butler" if you will.

No SCGB leaders in France.
No SCGB ambassadors in France[/quote]

Leaders, ambassadors, butlers, it doesn't particularly matter what you are calling them this year. I just call them all "James" anyway.
snow conditions
Given that Crystal did this last season, and I suggested exactly this on the other thread at least 12 months ago, why has the SCGB not had this in place over last season? Strikes me that despite being a commercial organisation with employees paid to fix issues like this they are still offering customers the kind of service they might expect from a club run by volunteers.

I'd be very interested in finding out how much the half and full day costs actually are - given that the ambassadors in resorts were being funded by the club, I'd assume the same money was spent on funding guiding to make sure members don't lose out. I'd wager it might actually be cheaper to use local guides as and when required than to pay all the expenses the ambassadors were racking up, though I'm sure the gravy train will still put some people in resort just to make sure that the train continues to roll along for the small number of members getting a very good deal out of the club.
ski holidays
@under a new name, It does, no reason why not I suppose. I think there was a historic falling out.
snow report
Mistress Panda wrote:
I'm sure the gravy train will still put some people in resort just to make sure that the train continues to roll along for the small number of members getting a very good deal out of the club.

Who are "the small number of members " ?
snow conditions
@limegreen1, the ones in resort who don't even need to crawl out of bed early to meet the groups and guide them around any more. They are getting an awful lot of benefits while being subsidised by every other member of the club. There certainly seems to be a queue of people desperate to join the ambassador program.
ski holidays
There are no ambassadors in France this coming season ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strange that when I spoke to SCGB to cancel my membership a couple of weeks ago they made no mention of this - my specific reason for cancelling was the absence of reps in france. Will be really interesting to see how they handle a) pricing, and b) people who over grade themselves (rejecting people who've paid might be harder than nudging people to return on a different day when it's all 'free' anyway).

@under a new name, dunno about Cham, but argentiere esf has stagieres ( some very good). They also instigated a progressive system a few decades ago - the oldest/most senior instructors effectively lose their seniority in non holiday weeks in January and March to ensure that there is enough work for the junior ones. The head of the ski school at that time was concerned that they weren't doing enough to encourage younger instructors and they'd end up with a demographic problem unless they could ensure there was enough work for the younger ones to make a start on their careers.
snow report
@snowdave, that's interesting and progressive - although you would very much expect ESF to employ stagiaires, that's very much the point of the system, n'est-ce pas?. As far as I could see though, Evo2 Chamonix don't appear to employ any - although I wasn't paying huge attention.
snow report
It's apparently going to cost £20 for a full day, or £10 for a half day. Imagine that price is subsidised by the Club.
snow conditions
@stephen buck, what I have seen says this; "The new programme will be funded by the Ski Club. Members can secure their place by paying a nominal booking fee of £10 for the half day session’s and £20 for a full day. This will contribute towards the additional administration costs in providing this service to members."

To me that means the members are funding it. Say 10 members x £20 = £200 = around 280 Euro, a typical day rate for an instructor. The saving for the club is considerable I would say. Not having to pay transport, expenses, accommodation is a huge saving.
latest report
@Pruman, Yes, I agree. What happens, though, if fewer than clients turn up (I sometimes had only 2 or 3 while I was repping,esp in low season weeks)? That scenario could occur more often, I imagine, as Members may be reluctant to pay for a service that was previously free. I imagine the Club would then be subsidising it quite heavily.
latest report
stephen buck wrote:
It's apparently going to cost £20 for a full day, or £10 for a half day. Imagine that price is subsidised by the Club.

Depends on the group size I guess, and if not susidised then I can imagine the days will be a great opportunity for Evo to try and sell some actual instruction.

Off piste guiding for £20 a day? Not bad. I assume this includes off piste, like the ambassadors did?
snow report
@stephen buck, Yes I accept there will be low days and low weeks. Evo2 will have been sold the upsell opportunity and a season long contract. I would imagine your average club member travels outside school holiday times and is good for filling in low weeks. So I'll stick with my suspicion that club members are being asked to pay while at the same time the club are saving.
snow report
Wonder what happens if Evo decide to include members of the general public at £20 a day to make the numbers stack up? Or include club members in guiding days which are already happening for TO guests?
snow conditions
Quote:

the general public

Oh please no!
ski holidays
Quote:

Members can secure their place by paying a nominal booking fee of £10 for the half day session’s and £20 for a full day. This will contribute towards the additional administration costs in providing this service to members

The other question that must be asked is this - if it genuinely is an administration fee why isn't it the same fee whether booking a half day or a full day? It takes the same to administer.
latest report
I joined the SCGB this last year as I was going to Zella Am See with a couple of learners and my non-skiing wife. After I could find no advanced/off-piste orientated lessons (and was prepared to pay up £300) I joined the Club so at least I would be Jonny no Mates on the hill. I had a good weeks skiing and it suited me that I could do half days and join the wife for 'alpine adventures' together!

Admittedly the Rep was not a great skier and did not know the mountains that well but it was convivial. And yes he did bring people on the advanced days who were not up to it as slow and unfit (so we did an extra run waiting). Would not have been impressed if I had been paying 80 quid a day as I tend to on a group off-piste day.

Then I booked a few days in Tignes in April by myself when friends could not come. Booked up on a Snoworks course effectively for the company with the benefit of some tuition which was great and worked out nicely. However I would have used this new service and saved myself a couple of hundred quid if it had been available. I noted that a fair number of Snoworks clientele were SCGB members too, and travelling alone, so will this have some impact on such courses?

Not related to this thread but I have booked to go to Mayrhofen specifically next year with the wife for my 'alpine' holiday as it has SCGB rep.

I have saved about four hundred pounds with discounts from Neilson holidays (ski and sail) and on-line shopping too with the membership, so I am a satisfied member.
snow report
Well given that I know most of the Evo 2 instructors in a certain resort if I can find out who is doing what day I am in.

Evo2 are scrupulous with the paperwork as some of the 'pulls rouges' have discovered when swapping sides.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy