Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere, Sauze D'Oulx or El Tartar - where would you go??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I know there are all sort of reviews etc on here, but would be interested in hearing opinions on which of the three of the above resorts people would choose?? We are a family of 2 adults (advanced skiers, though not that interested in going mental anymore) a 9 year old (confident on reds) and a 6 year old with no fear (or CONTROL!) who is moving onto harder reds. Tight budget, hence the resort choices. Love skiing in Italy, but now wondering if we should give Andorra a go? Comments/advice much appreciated. Also, any experience of ski schools in these resorts? We lucked out last year with ElPro in La Plagne, where the children were in classes of 4 and 6 pupils respectively, don't fancy them in a class of 18 (ESF!).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The last two years I have ahad a sneaky last minute week away at the end of march in soldeu (just down the road from El Tarter) and have had fantatstic conditions with very quiet slopes. Its a very underrated area in my opinion. There is nothing too extreme and there is enough to keep you interested for a week. El tarter is very quiet in terms of nightlife so should suit your family. Most of the schools are English instructors. Also the price of a beer compares very favourably compared to La Plagne. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks, yes - not that worried about night life, thanks for the advice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No experience of Spain - but of the two Italian resorts, Sauze has the advantage of being Very popular with Brits and therefore English is widely spoken in the Ski Schools (plus the Milky-Way ski area for the adults.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, we're a family of 4 too with children same age and abilities! We have been to Sestriere, Sauze and Andorra (Arinsal though not El Tartar). Personally I love the Milky Way ski area, lots to do, tree lined, great food and the Italian people couldn't be more welcoming. The ski schools have been excellent at all resorts, in Arinsal we actually had a Scottish guy. We always travel with TO (find this cheaper due to free/discounted child places) and I'm not sure if because it is with a TO that they get the best English speaking instructors, or if we've just been lucky? We've actually just book to go to Sauze again in March 2016 with Inghams. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Bianchigrey, interesting that you are going back to Sauze, so you don't find it too much of a party place to go with young children? I am erring towards Italy as I love the atmosphere (and speak the language) and have always found the ski schools good. Think you are right about TO, was looking into DIY, but child offers tip the balance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Sauze in March, I think its reputation as a bit of a party place is a bit out of date. Midweek out of school holidays it's relatively quiet and it's much more reasonably priced than many resorts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with rgriffith. We also went years ago (before kids) and it was quite lively, but more recently I think they have been working on changing this image. We're in a hotel near the Clotes lift which is a quitter area, and we'll not venture out after dinner. The slopes are usually quite quiet too which is great when your skiing with kids.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bianchigray, hello again, went for Sestriere in the end, Bianchigray, did your children do ski school there too, which would you recommend? thanks
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went From Andorra (Pas de la casa) to Sestriere but as a group of lads .Sestriere(Milkyway) is definitely as step up from Andorra skiing wise.

Setriere is very low key in the evenings with no rowdy bars etc ,believe me we tried to find them

Also as its between both sets of mountains you have a great choice .
We stayed at the Villaggio Olimpico di Sestriere if you need any info and got a great deal on ski hire in a independent hire shop just a long the road
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@trmacc yes they did do the ski school and the instructors were very good. We booked the lessons through the TO but it was the main school that was used (blue uniforms). The children in the lessons were mixed nationalities, and they were good at moving them up/down to make sure they developed according to their level. There was probably an average of 8 in each of the four children's classes.

I hope you enjoy, there are some lovely runs to do as a family.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bianchigray wrote:
Hi, we're a family of 4 too with children same age and abilities! We have been to Sestriere, Sauze and Andorra (Arinsal though not El Tartar). Personally I love the Milky Way ski area, lots to do, tree lined, great food and the Italian people couldn't be more welcoming. The ski schools have been excellent at all resorts, in Arinsal we actually had a Scottish guy. We always travel with TO (find this cheaper due to free/discounted child places) and I'm not sure if because it is with a TO that they get the best English speaking instructors, or if we've just been lucky? We've actually just book to go to Sauze again in March 2016 with Inghams. Very Happy

Agree with the above statement. We have so much fun at Sauze, the skiing, the affordable hot chocolate... just everything.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're on a budget also consider Saint Jean, the cheaper town down the valley from Gressoney. Assuming you have a hire car it's an easy drive up to the ski station in the morning & amazing skiing IMHO at Ski Monte Rosa (plus a good day to be had on the local St Jean runs). If it's Feb half term it's always cheaper to DIY although at other times you may get a good TO deal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy