Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

high voume-low volume -whasitmean?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to understand all the modern terminology...

Showing my ignorance, does high volume (boots) equal lots of room for padding or does it just mean only suitable for big fat feet?

Likewise does low volume mean not much space for padding equals a very direct fit for precision (or just suitable for shallow skinny feet)?

I think my Raichles were 'low volume', at least they are now by the state of the liners (knackered!).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roberto,

the higher the volume of the boot the more space it has in it for your foot, likewise the lower volume the boot the less space there is. the ideal situation is to get the lowest volume shell for your foot volume without causing problems, there may be areas that need to be modified and there may need to be some break in time to pack the liner down a little, but if you put a low volume (slim) foot into a high volume boot it will swim around after a week or so skiing if not before.
the liners odf ski booots will pack down as you ski, if the foot fits the volume of the shell + liner with the minimun of excess space then there will be less movement therfore the liner will last longer than it would if your foot was rattling around in the boot.

eg. if you push a car slowly against the bumper of another car to move it you may cause a little damage but hopefully not too much, take the first car back 20 feet and accelerate into the car you want to move and the damage will be much more.... i think that makes sense Puzzled another point is that having a foam liner is only ever any good if the shell is right in the first place, there is no point putting a slim foot in a wide boot and trying to fill the gaps with foam, it will feel great at first but will quickly pack down and feel loose.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I, for instance am, low volume, CEM, for instance is is high volume. Tee Hee Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM wrote:
roberto,

the higher the volume of the boot the more space it has in it for your foot, likewise the lower volume the boot the less space there is. the ideal situation is to get the lowest volume shell for your foot volume without causing problems, there may be areas that need to be modified and there may need to be some break in time to pack the liner down a little, but if you put a low volume (slim) foot into a high volume boot it will swim around after a week or so skiing if not before.
the liners odf ski booots will pack down as you ski, if the foot fits the volume of the shell + liner with the minimun of excess space then there will be less movement therfore the liner will last longer than it would if your foot was rattling around in the boot.

eg. if you push a car slowly against the bumper of another car to move it you may cause a little damage but hopefully not too much, take the first car back 20 feet and accelerate into the car you want to move and the damage will be much more.... i think that makes sense Puzzled another point is that having a foam liner is only ever any good if the shell is right in the first place, there is no point putting a slim foot in a wide boot and trying to fill the gaps with foam, it will feel great at first but will quickly pack down and feel loose.

You still stealing my quotes, cheeky.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

cheeky bar-steward
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems to me that "volume" is a strange term to describe the space in a boot. A foot may be very narrow but high arched, or very wide but flat. Which has the higher volume? And which will the boot fit? (Well, obviously neither without a custom made footbed, a stretch, padding etc, says the bootfitter Laughing )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maggi, volume = height*width*depth, so it's hard to say which of your two examples will have a higher volume, you'd need to put figures on it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

you'd need to put figures on it
Quite! And as no-one knows the volume of their feet it's pretty meaningless. (Sorry, got a bit of a thing about boots at present. Got new ones from Profeet and am dreading trying them out on Friday at Castleford. If they don't feel OK that's another day I'll have to skive off work and go and get lost in London rolling eyes . Please, God, let them fit!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi,
Quote:

Quite! And as no-one knows the volume of their feet it's pretty meaningless.

the whole volume thing is subjective, and a generalisation, there are many different shapes of drinks bottles that all holod 0.5 l of drink!! asWear The Fox Hat, says height* width* depth is how you measure volume, but in boot fitting terms we are not meauring units of litres or cubic cm we are breaking it down to low, medium, high and prehaps splits in between. the info is something gained with years of experience and trying and fitting boots, trying on every pair that comes into the store, not only in your measured size but in the shell size up and down to see how each compare, the comparisons between models are what bootfitters talk about eg if i put on a boot and it feels loose on my foot in certain areas then i would consider it to be high volume in those areas (i have a fairly chunky foot) yet if i put on a typical race boot ie nordica dobermann with a last measuremrnt of 95 i can keep it on for oh about 3 minutes!! before i want to rip it off, it is very narrow , + shallow hense low volume.

all in all you have to put a bit of trust in the fitter, good luck with your boots on Friday, but living in Nottingham why did you not go to Lockwoods in Leamington??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

why did you not go to Lockwoods in Leamington
You mean so I could get lost there instead? Laughing (You don't know me but I can get lost between the loo and the bar - before I've had a drink!)
I went to Profeet as a few people I know recommended them and I hadn't been impressed with the 2 other bootfitters I had (not Lockwoods, by the way) but also because I wanted to be blinded with science (the pressure machine with the pretty coloured display Blush ) and I wanted a go on the skiers edge machine! (If the kids ever leave home - some chance - I will have both the money and space for one Cool )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy