Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in january

Poster: A snowHead
Good Morning all.

My partner and i are looking to book 3rd week of january (saturday the 16th).

I board and my partner ski.

we are looking to go to Austria for the first time and contemplating between st anton vs ischgl vs Mayrhofen.

Main points for us:

* Great skiing and boarding we love long wide reds mostly.
* Good lift system. as we are very flexible with dates we try and tune ourself to the quite weeks so basicly no lift queues.
* we don't stay up too late. one drink is ok followed with good healthy dinner, bed time and up again next day. so with that in mind, good choice of healthy eating options.

Any input will be mostly appreciated.

Thank you.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What made you choose Austria? Are you flexible or do you have your heart set?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be honest only for the fact we wanted to try different country. We did Tignes / Val and 3 valleys. We though Austria will be an interesting change.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl ticks every single box you asked for. SOunds like you prefer crusiy reds (?), so probably St Anton is out. I don't know Mayrhofen.

The other one to look at is Saalbach.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They all sound like good options to me. Some of Mayrhofen's runs are a little on the short side.

Mid-January does increase the risk of windy / very cold weather - have you considered anywhere with good areas of trees for potential bad weather days? Kitzbuhel for example.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
St Anton is a wild party town too - surrounded by a bunch of drunk students every night (I worked there a few years back, it was tough Wink )

Have a look at Saalbach sounds like it fits well with what you are after. Italy and Switzerland are also very nice (although Switzerland can be mega pricey).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999,

Why St anton is out? What's it typical runs like?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ischgl would be my choice of the three. But then I like Ischgl.

hotel goldener Adler is my preferred choice for accommodation.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you @Bob, Sounds like most of you are in the opinion that Ischgl is best.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gnave wrote:
@clarky999,

Why St anton is out? What's it typical runs like?

St Anton commands a premium for all the excellent offpiste - and if you were into that I'd say it's well worth paying the extra. However I find the piste skiing generally pretty average (the exception is the long red from Schindlerspitz, which is fantastic). It's a freeride paradise, but I really don't think piste skiers get more for their money than cheaper resorts like Saalbach.

If piste cruising is your thing, Ischgl and Saalbach offer way more IMO.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 7-07-15 15:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LOTSKI wrote:
St Anton is a wild party town too - surrounded by a bunch of drunk students every night (I worked there a few years back, it was tough Wink )

Have a look at Saalbach sounds like it fits well with what you are after. Italy and Switzerland are also very nice (although Switzerland can be mega pricey).

Disagree. St Anton for sure has 'wild party parts,' but much of the village is actually quiet and relaxed. The rowdiness, while there, is really not pervasive - IMO. And I've never seen big groups of students there either.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not a big fan of saalbach hinterglemm. It has over the years become
over developed, and less challenging. and of course its in. Salzbuergerland rather than Tyrol, so requires a flight to Salzburg rather than Innsbruck.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually, I would suggest Lech, which is just round the corner from St Anton.

Reading through your original post it ticks every box for you and would be a perfect fit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Not a big fan of saalbach hinterglemm. It has over the years become over developed, and less challenging. and of course its in. Salzbuergerland rather than Tyrol, so requires a flight to Salzburg rather than Innsbruck.

No idea what you mean by 'over developed' - there have been few changes to the pistes in 10 years, the OP wants a resort with lots of long, wide reds, which Saalbach has in abundance, and the off-piste is not bad if you know where to find it. The next phase of 'over-development' is to add another 40+ km to the area by linking to Fieberbrunn, as of December, so in my view, it is an ideal resort for what the OP asks for. The lift system has been constantly upgraded and there are no longer any draglifts on the main Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang circuit - just a couple in the beginners area in Hinterglemm and out in the far reaches of Hochalm and Zwolfer. The newest lifts, whether gondolas or high-speed chairs, have heated seats and covers. I know some people don't like this, but on a cold January day, it makes the journey up a bit more comfortable. There are few lift queues in January, and the area is huge (250+ km) so it rarely feels crowded, particularly in low season.

What's the problem with flying to Salzburg instead of Innsbruck? Daily flights from STN and LGW in the winter, and regional flights every weekend from Luton, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh and Exeter and elsewhere - and then an easy 90 minute transfer to the resort.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On my last couple of visits I simply didn't find the area particularly enjoyable, it didn't challenge me. Granted that the link with fieberbrunn opens this season and not only adds 40km, but also increases the backcountry. The reference to Salzburg journey times is relevant to anyone wanting to travel to st Anton.
sorry if you're. Upset.
ski holidays
@Bob, nobody is upset! quinton is simply pointing out that YOUR opinion/view of Saalbach-Hinterglemm is somewhat at odds with reality as well as the majority of visitors to the area. Your somewhat sparse dismissal of Salzburgerland and flying into Salzburg may be a result of you not being a native-speaker or that you are accessing this forum via a phone. Whatever, you are wrong in terms of Saalbach-Hinterglemm, but don't worry, you won't be missed as there are many more people in this world and on this forum with a more accurate and impartial view. quinton being one of them.

@gnave, if you are looking for a package delivered by a UK based tour operator, then for your needs you'll get much better value for money by looking at Saalbach-Hinterglemm than the big names (i.e. Ischgl, St Anton, Mayrhofen). If you are independent and organising everything yourselves, then look at the statistics for each of your preferred resorts, then ask here. I like Ischgl but would never stay there as you are paying a premium for the name. Same for St Anton for piste skiers. Mayrhofen is within spitting distance for me, so I ski there and like it. I think that it is a classic Austrian resort that you can do better by going DIY than with one of the UK tour operators.
Take a look at Schladming, also a good area with lots of wide cruising reds and lots of mileage spread over the 4 inter-linked mountain resorts. It figures in a lot of TO brochures as well. Flights into Salzburg are way more frequent than those into Innsbruck as well as being available from regional airports.
snow conditions
To add to what @Samerberg Sue, transfers from Salzburg - whether on a TO coach or driving yourself - to Schladming would be around an hour. Saalbach about 1.15-1.30. So both pretty short.
latest report
Are reds in austria are same as reds in france ?
snow report
gnave wrote:

It's a very sweeping statement. The truth is it varies from resort to resort and to the conditions. However, in my head I always seem to think reds in France are a bit trickier than those in Austria.
ski holidays
gnave wrote:

Broadly yes, but it depends on resort. Reds in St Anton are harder than most reds in Morzine, which are harder than most reds in SkiWelt. But really the condition they are in at the time makes far more difference than any other small variation.
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, I'm not dismissing at all.
I do intact ski there at least 1 week each year. As you know salzburgerland is more than saalbach.
when I travel to ischgl, serfaus, lech, st Anton, etc I find the journey alot more convient from Innsbruck or friedickshafen than Salzburg.
snow conditions
@gnave, if you do go to Ischgl, make sure you do a half day in Galtur, or even a full day. A remarks ly guiet area during the week, even in peak period, and its only a bus ride away.
ski holidays
@clarky999, I agree with all your points above mate.....it annoys me when St Anton gets a bum rap for being a wild party town, like anywhere else there's a few KH's and I've never seen students there (unlike other big French areas) but on the whole its a serious freeride area (as we know!) wink
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@clarky999, I agree with all your points above mate.....it annoys me when St Anton gets a bum rap for being a wild party town, like anywhere else there's a few KH's and I've never seen students there (unlike other big French areas) but on the whole its a serious freeride area (as we know!) wink

It's not a bum rap but if it's not something you are after then paying a premium to have it along with the offpiste possibilities can be a bit daft. One only has to experience Happy Valley in full carnage mode to understand that piste skiing is not really what St Anton is best at. Yet relatively few people do ski off piste.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:

It's not a bum rap but if it's not something you are after then paying a premium to have it along with the offpiste possibilities can be a bit daft. One only has to experience Happy Valley in full carnage mode to understand that piste skiing is not really what St Anton is best at. Yet relatively few people do ski off piste.
ski holidays
Quote:

if it's not something you are after then paying a premium to have it along with the offpiste possibilities can be a bit daft.

agreed. And it might be something you are positively NOT after. The whole point of this kind of thread is surely for all the information possible to be provided so that people can make up their minds. The OP wants cruisy piste skiing, one drink before dinner and early nights.
snow report
Quote:

one drink before dinner and early nights

That's because he hasn't yet discovered Austrian apres-ski! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Bob,
Quote:

less challenging

Do you mean that there are fewer T-bars to fall off? Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gnave,
This video will give you a good idea of what piste skiing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm (the world's second most visited ski resort) is like - there are plenty of others if you search.

http://youtube.com/v/1Cvm250ZrkU

For anyone who may be interested in Saalbach's surprisingly extensive and attractive off-piste/back country, take a look at some of the Youtube videos posted by Richard Bergenholtz and his Underbar team (search for "Richard Bergenholtz" or "Underbar"). Here's just one of them:
http://youtube.com/v/drGFpUAl6Ck
snow conditions
@gnave,
Whilst I'm posting videos, here's one of Mrs TT (no criticisms of her style please!) cruising down piste 68 (a blue) at Saalbach. Note we had the piste (all 7km of it) completely to ourselves, which is not untypical.
http://youtube.com/v/ciuqR3xbt_w
snow report
I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of the options you're looking at, but Ischgl is markedly more expensive than the others, and St Anton is fairly pricey too. They are both great resorts though. I enjoyed Mayrhofen too, it's well worth a visit - and it's cheaper than the other two.

I would echo (some of) the others and say look into Saalbach. It's fabulous in every way, and would be a great intro to Austria. You don't mention kids, in which case you really should sample some Austrian apres. You can have an awesome time and still be in bed early! The clincher for Saalbach (aside from the wonderful pistes, pretty town and amazing apres) is the most beautiful mountain restaurants you'll see anywhere.
snow conditions
Nice video - lovely long empty cruisy piste. Just a shame about the music. wink
snow conditions
@pam w, Thank you for those words of semi-appreciation. I realise that, whilst fans of the wonderful Zillertaler Schürzenjäger will be in musical heaven, some (probably Francophiles, whose idea of apres-ski is a nice, quiet cup of chocolat chaud) may prefer to use the 'mute' button. Smile
ski holidays
Neither French pop nor austrian oompah figure in the very broad spectrum of the music I like though the ex-French colonies produce some terrific stuff.

That group's name is one to conjure with though - does it mean they are chasing skirt, or they go hunting in loin cloths?
snow conditions
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sch%C3%BCrzenj%C3%A4ger it could mean "skirt hunters" or "heartbreakers" - surprising that hasn't been nailed down. The Austrians have a strange musical tradition (I sometimes think that Mozart et al must be turning in their graves), and the atmosphere of some of their splendid mountain restaurants is marred only by the terrible dross that emanates from the loudspeakers. There must be a fortune to be made by someone who opens a music bar playing nothing but seriously good music (by which I mean music that I like of course). wink
I first heard the Zillertaler Schürzenjäger in 1982, when their 1979 album, "Grüne Tannen" seeped into my subconscious as I was having lunch in a mountain restaurant in Mayrhofen. In my best school german I asked the barman who it was and he told me - it was only the briefest of conversations, because my school german wasn't up to an in depth discussion about Austrian folk music. A year later I entered the same restaurant (on my annual one week skiing holiday), and the barman immediately called over, "Die Zillertaler Schürzenjäger" with an approving wink and nod of the head. Considering the number of British holiday-makers who must have entered that restaurant during the intervening year, I was amazed.
I bought the album, "Grüne Tannen" the same day I heard it in 1982 but struggled to find anyone back home to share my enthusiasm. I was never tempted to buy another of their albums, but I have to say that I'm intrigued by the title of their 1983 release, "Ohne Jodeln geht die Zenzi nicht gern schlafen (Without yodelling Zenzi doesn't like to go to sleep)".
ski holidays
Quote:
Whilst I'm posting videos, here's one of Mrs TT (no criticisms of her style please!) cruising down piste 68 (a blue) at Saalbach. Note we had the piste (all 7km of it) completely to ourselves, which is not untypical.

seems at odds with...

Quote:
This video will give you a good idea of what piste skiing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm (the world's second most visited ski resort) is like

I've never been there, so I am just intrigued as to how they manage to pull this off - as in second most visited resort and empty pistes Puzzled
snow report
@Layne, because it was most likely outside the high season period and possibly the area is big enough to accommodate all the weekly visitors plus their day trippers. In terms of the second most visited, that is perhaps in terms of the British Tour Operators' figures.

I've often skied there mid week with a couple of friends and had pistes more or less to ourselves. We know the area quite well and can select runs according to their popularity etc., just like Tatman's Tours can. Despite all the claims made about "high mileage skiers", "need huge areas because we never ski the same run", etc, the vast majority of one week a year skiers actually barely scratch the surface of the big inter-linked areas. Hence all the reports of "rammed pistes" at peak periods wink wink
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue,

Quote:
@Layne, because it was most likely outside the high season period and possibly the area is big enough to accommodate all the weekly visitors plus their day trippers. In terms of the second most visited, that is perhaps in terms of the British Tour Operators' figures.

I think the second most visited is from this....
http://www.isiaski.org/download/20140517_ISIA_Vuokatti_1b_presentation_vanat.pdf
Page 9, based on "average annual skier visits during the last few winter seasons." which is all a bit vague tbh... but I am sure it broadly does the job.

Quote:
I've often skied there mid week with a couple of friends and had pistes more or less to ourselves. We know the area quite well and can select runs according to their popularity etc., just like Tatman's Tours can. Despite all the claims made about "high mileage skiers", "need huge areas because we never ski the same run", etc, the vast majority of one week a year skiers actually barely scratch the surface of the big inter-linked areas. Hence all the reports of "rammed pistes" at peak periods

I guess I'm just a born sceptic when it comes to these things. And I don't want the OP or anybody else for that matter to have the wool pulled over their eyes. In the same vein as yourself at certain times I can find certain pistes/off piste that are very quiet, especially off peak season. But I wouldn't like to post that up as a generality that Tatman's Tours seem to be. Perhaps Saalbach copes with it's popularity better than others. As I say I haven't been.
ski holidays
It all depends , doesn't it? On how well you know the area, the time of year, time of day and snow cover . I have plenty of pictures of empty pistes in the Espace Diament but I still strongly advise avoiding it at new year and the peak French holiday weeks.
latest report
It also depends whether you have a car. I can drive, even in peak weeks, to much quieter parts of the domain but that option is not open to people without cars, or tied to ski school starts on the "front de neige".
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy