Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accidents will happen. EHIC cards...

Poster: A snowHead
This is a cautionary tale.

I organised EHIC cards for all four of our family and duly took them out to Hinterglemm in Austria for Christmas. When my son fell down stairs and hurt his ankle on day one before even getting out on the snow, I had to take him to the local clinic. I showed them the card and was told that since they were a private clinic I would have to pay there and then, but that I should just claim back the cost in the UK. I paid a total of 538.37 Euros.

There are two phone numbers on the back of the card, one is an 0845 number for NHS Direct, which I couldn't access from my mobile abroad and the other a number for advice to travellers, which I called but was a recorded message that was broken and cut off after less than two seconds.

Back in the UK, I called the 0845 number for NHS Direct. They have no idea why their number is on the card as it's a UK only service. They gave me another number to call - 0845 6050707, which seems to be the number that should be on the card.

When I explained the situation to them I was told that the European Health Insurance arrangement was only for state hospitals and they couldn't help me with the claim, but gave me yet another number to call. There I was told that yes, the numbers on the cards were wrong, and that I should have read the booklet for the information regarding treatment abroad.

I didn't receive an information booklet in the post with the cards, but apparently should have gone separately to the Post Office to pick one up rolling eyes What's the point in being able to register on-line and receive the cards in the post if you still have to go somewhere else to pick up a booklet?

Anyway, they were a bit dubious about the possibilities of claiming back any money, but thought I would get some of it back if I fill in the claim form they're going to send me, which they then send to the health authorities in Austria, etc... It would take four to five months Shocked

So we called our travel insurance, which is what we've done previously and they will pay in full without delay. Is there any point to the European agreement at all? How many ski resorts have state clinics I wonder?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All travel insurance documents that I've read refer to the EHIC (although many still refer to it as E111) and explain that you should have it / use it. I can tell you that not having an EHIC is much better than having one as you immediately have to fall back on the rescue service provided by the insurer (travel insurers cannot insist you have one). This means private clinic v. state clinic. In say France, where state hospitals are superb generally it is no problem... but in other countries you may not get so lucky.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I used my old E111 in France, they gave me a form to send to claim back the money.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EHIC cards, 3 weeks and not here. Rang up and they acknowledged receipt of application and gave us a number to ring if we have probs: 0044 191 218 1991 @ dept of work and pensions
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, I ordered mine online and it came in three days !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bloody civil servant mafia wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, this is good news. You really don't need or want one if you're properly insured.

Paul Mason, hope you've listed it! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We do live up to my name Twisted Evil

Frosty the Snowman, EHIC cards have nothing to do with the Department of Work and Pensions (I should know, I work for them wink) so whoever gave you that info is talking bald ox.

The NHS deal with EHIC. Don't try contacting the DWP as they will probably send you through to a bunch of people before you talk to someone who has been there for 35 years who will let you know you need to contact the NHS!

Oh and FYI i'm waiting for my EHIC card as well! Just goes to show don't it Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Civilserpent, Got my insurance, so not really bothered.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can anyone please explain why an EHIC card is worth carrying assuming you have adequate travel insurance in place? Is there any advantage to be had for an EHIC person? No. I can't see any. The non-EHIC person ends up in the private hospital (or can chose to go for the state run one if that's a better option and decided in conjunction with the travel insurance company's rescue co.)

Frosty the Snowman, absolutely.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some insurance companies will not charge you an excess if you have the EHIC as they can use it to claim back some of their costs
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swiss state hospitals take the EHIC which is useful as the treatment is 1st class and it means you do not have the hassle of contacting your insurance company to get approval of your treatment. You will still need insurance cover as the doctors and small clinics in ski resorts are all mainly private.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Civilserpent, it was the Department of Work and Pensions on 0191 218 1999 who eventually were able to answer my questions. It was the NHS who passed me on to them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm guessing that the Department of Work & Pensions has the info because it's all to do with National Insurance, and your right to treatment because you are a British national??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elizabeth B, The site that houses the main offices for Dpt of W & P, or whatever is its latest name change, is based in Long Benton in Newcastle. Paul Mason may be able to give you more specifics, but I believe it is the largest single site office in the UK. A truly horrendous place.
latest report
Hi guys,
Anyone know the state of play regards the issue of the new cards as replacements for the temporary E111 that they were isuing last year. If I remember correctly there was a box you ticked on the form to ask them to automatically send you the new cards. Has anyone received theirs yet via this method?
Cheers, G
ski holidays
Quote:

Has anyone received theirs yet via this method?

Yes - my permanent card turned up automatically in the post sometime in mid 2005, based on the E111 I had obtained several months before.

That said, I've no expectation of using it, as I suspect it's pretty unlikely that casualties ever get taken to a state hospital in the immediate proximity of a ski resort. Having the EHIC card is just one less excuse to give an insurance company for not paying up
latest report
Big G, me too, in nov or Dec I think. We have travel insurance appropriate for skiing, so I don't think that the EHIC cards are any use to us.
snow report
Big G, I ticked box but did not receive cards. I understand that if you have not received them by now they will not arrive. So I applied online and cards arrived three days later.
latest report
Cheers guys,
thanks for the heads up on not expecting to receive them. Will apply for them on line as you suggest. I always travel with suitable insurance, however have heard rumours that some insurance companies are refusing to cover costs that might reasonably have been covered by EHIC card so better safe than sorry.
ski holidays
yepp, mine came in Octoberish, much neater solution, but I still expect it to be of no use 'in resort'.. Best thing you can do is get private insurance, and carte neige..

Based on my 2 experiences last year, ( a friends badly broken leg, and my broken collarbone..), In France, you almost certainly WILL have to pay up front for medical treatment in the resort, but at least you'll be able to claim it back later...

happily... I'm fully recovered now, and skiing in December I was as good as new Smile
ski holidays
RachelQ, Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser said Alice. Well I stand corrected Embarassed
snow conditions
Civilserpent, I also work for DWP and find it strange that they are linked to these cards !Elizabeth B, the number they have provided is at the Longbenton site and the NI connection is the only one I can think of - unless we are merging with someboby which wouldnt be a surprise.
ski holidays
One of my holiday insurance policies waived the excess if we had an E111 .
snow conditions
To answer some of your questions:

The numbers on the back of the EHIC are either marked as UK only (NHS Direct) or as having limited opening hours (9-5 UK Time) If you had managed to get hold of the second number, the Department of Health public enquiry line) they would have been able to advise you. The EHIC Enquiry Line would have been no use at all as all 0845/0800 etc numbers are only obtainable from the UK. The NHS Direct details are really there is case you need any health information before or after you travel.

The line also should not have pointed you towards the Post Office and the brochure. The Website which you can use to apply for an EHIC also contains all the details from the brochure and anyone applying on line is advised to read up before applying.

The EHIC can save you money as insurance companies will often waive the excess if it is used also some policies are invalid without one. The card is free, easy to obtain and offers you the same state medical care that a citizen of the country you are in would have. This could be on better or worse terms than the NHS and some things will still need to be paid for and claimed back depending on where you are. Details of whats available where can be found on the DH web site. The EHIC also covers you for existing conditions which normally only special and rather expensive insurance policies will do.

DWP has been dealing with some aspects of E111/EHIC for some time. They handle individual claims for repayments as well as issue EHIC provisional replacement certificates. The English Department of Health is in charge of the UK EHIC system but DWP handle that section of the task and the PPA handle the data collection and issuing of cards.

Anyone who is still waiting for an EHIC ordered via the E111 tick box should either contact the EHIC Enquiry Line 0845 6050707 or try to place an online order. If your online order is refused then you know that your details are in the system and the card/s have been lost in transit. The enquiry line will be able to sort out a reissue for you.

Hope this help.
latest report
EHIC DH, thanks for the expert input.

I ordered EHIC cards online for Mrs H and myself towards the end of last year and they turned up in well under a week.
ski holidays
EHIC DH, Thanks for the info!

I ordered our cards last week - hoping they'll be here soon.
ski holidays
Ordered ours last Thursday and arrived on Tuesday this week!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EHIC DH, thank you for replying to my post.
ski holidays
This has just been posted on the DH website:

Applying for an EHIC onlineThe Department of Health is the only organisation that can provide a genuine European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

An EHIC is a government service that is provided for free by the Department of Health, working with the NHS Prescription Pricing Authority (PPA).

We are aware that an unauthorised website is charging applicants for handling EHIC applications. The Department of Health and the PPA do not manage this service and there is no guarantee that you will receive a genuine EHIC if you use this site.

To ensure you receive a genuine EHIC for free, apply through the PPA's website.
snow report
EHIC DH, thanks for that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy