Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comments on our new online shop

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@skimottaret, Out of interest what are you using to do the site in ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ug.

I guess you were after technical comments, but that's really not the issue . It looks like you discovered background-size:cover and reacted to it in the same way as people once did with <blink>. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I guess I'm saying I hate the design, an entirely subjective thing.

Well you did ask.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chinese characters coming up on Chrome on Android. Not my tablet doesn't happen on other sites
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig wrote:
Ug.

I guess you were after technical comments, but that's really not the issue . It looks like you discovered background-size:cover and reacted to it in the same way as people once did with <blink>. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I guess I'm saying I hate the design, an entirely subjective thing.

Well you did ask.

Sorry but I agree. That huge background image changing every couple of seconds. Horrible, horrible, horrible distraction from the business of the site, which is getting the user to checkout. I'd not be going to checkout, best case I'd be configuring Adblock to get rid of that image.

Guys, there's an army of professional designers out there and they aren't expensive. Hire one. Bloggers can indulge in whatever visual nightmare they like but you are trying to sell instruction here. Would anyone recommend receiving ski instruction from your mate who once read "The Dummy's Guide to Snowsports"?

Harsh I know. But fair. And you did ask.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find the moving images distracting on my phone, but OK on a larger screen. Everything loads OK. I too always start my booking process from the diary, so the more pages on which the diary appears, the better (for me).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I find the menu a little confusing on my ipad 2 - the words are all too close together.

I don't like the texturing of the photos, and don't much like the slideshow either.

The picture of 3 blokes with jackets on is hilarious in all the wrong ways.

Sorry... Not an improvement as a landing page... Crying or Very sad Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gaza, thanks fixed the colour change but unfortunately can't add a link

@Dave, yeah I see that as well and it has something to do with the link from the main site. If you click on the shop home button within the shop it loads the icons but the link doesn't, will need to check into that...

@katherine , have disabled the background on phones, will look into adding links to diary but not sure I will be able to do that.

When you say you always start from the diary is it this page you mean http://www.insideoutskiing.com/calendar.html ?

have turned off the slide show, any better?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, the little link under the pic to the right of your home page is where I start (fwiw). I don't mind the slide show, it's just too big on my (android) phone. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
looks nice at first but if you look under the hood its a right old mess.

A few pointers.

1. Your SEO is terrible, look at the URLs for your pages:

http://insideoutskiing.com/sales2/index.php?route=product/category&path=60

for example, this should read more like:

http://insideoutskiing.com/skiing-clinics/london/learn-carving

you want your search terms in the URLS, this is hugely important. Your page title is also non descriptive. 'skills' what skills? who just types 'skills' into google and what are they expecting to find? Along the same lines you have no text in your meta description (after the title this is the second most important tag to use)

2., Id get rid of the images in the dropdown menus, they dont add anything and make it look a little messy.

3. Look at your code, its a little obvious youve done it on a CMS (open cart I think) and its bloating your code massivly, nearly every div has several styles attached to it and then styles hardcoded into them too. the point of having styles is so you dont repeat the same code over and over.

those are a few things that instantly stood out to me but Id imagine there are quite a few other issues too.

One thing Id bear in mind is that a web designer will be cheaper or similar cost to what you are charging per person per session. If your wasting your own time making the website wouldn't you be better off teaching sessions and putting that money to a professional web designer who will do the job better and faster than you are leaving you free to make the money to pay for it.

Not trying to be harsh just pointing out some facts as a professional
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think the shop pages are the landing pages, so no real need to be fully optimised imho. I'd probably set the shop to noindex.

The normal site ranks pretty well already for a number of terms.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@medlington, thanks for having a look, as Little M says our main page is www.insideoutskiing.com and the shop is more transactional for customers so in a lot of ways Im not bothered about search results for the shop. Yup it is an opencart shop and I bought a popular theme that that works with the opencart data base and seems to be well supported. Summer is a little slow for us so the new shop was a learning project for me and was somewhat foisted on us in that Opencart had a major update to 2.0 and they stopped supporting the old version of shop software we were using so I had to update everything. A bit of wasted time for sure but learned a few new things..

@Little Martin, The 404 page that you pointed out http://insideoutskiing.com/sales2/catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/icons/fonts/journal-icons.woff I can't seem to fix, ftp'd up a fresh copy and it still comes up as an error. Might have to put in a support ticket on that
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When you say you have redone your shop, I presume from a quick look (whilst Murray is on in the background for as soon as I watch he bottles it, and now he's just won the first set whilst I've been doing this) that you've been hacking around with the Journal 2 theme from the looks of things.

http://themeforest.net/item/journal-advanced-opencart-theme/4260361

http://themeforest.net/item/journal-advanced-opencart-theme/full_screen_preview/4260361

http://journal.digital-atelier.com/2/

Basically these themes are good to go as long as you don't try to customise too much, and as people have already made observations, that's the job for us web guys when you need to Cool

Not that I do any open cart etc

But big hats off to you for getting it to where it is !!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, yup thats the one. the previous opencart theme we used wasn't compatible with the new version of opencart so had to redo it all..have only done a few mods myself basically replacing words dynamically (reward points to frequent skier points, Fax to Skiing Level , etc) and have turned off most of the Journal2 functionality. I did hack out some of the html we didn't use like newsletter sign up forms but all seems to work ok.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy