Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AT bindings

Poster: A snowHead
I did one day on hired AT bindings (Fritschi) with a couple of short (1hr ish) climbs in January, and plan to invest in a pair before the end of this year. I had thought I'd get Marker Barons as Marker seems to be the most popular choice, but having read the specs I'm put off by the fact that you have to unclip to change between ski and walk mode. After a day on the Fritschis I just assumed all AT bindings would let you change without unclipping, and it seems an unnecessary faff to have to unclip.
Having looked around a bit, there appear to be 2 other decent options - Salomon Guardians and Tyrolia Ambitions. The Guardians are the heavier of the 2 (similar to the Barons), so the Ambitions looked to be the ones to go for until I found this - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2356688 - where spyderjon is pretty adamant what he'd choose. I'd like to use the quiver killers as they'll go onto my existing skis and this way I'd have more options if I buy new skis at some stage. So does anyone know if the Ambitions still aren't Quiver killer friendly? And any other points/opinions?

Cons of:

Barons - have to unclip/weight.
Guardians - weight
Ambitions - mounting problems.

So at the minute I'm leaning towards the Guardians (unless anyone can persuade me to buy boots with tech inserts and Dynafit bindings!).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was using Fritschis for 10 years with no problems, but recently upgraded to tech setup and wouldn't go back now.

Tech is deffo the way to go if you're thinking of regular touring but your suggested setup should be fine if you're only doing occasional tours.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tom Doc, I've never really understood this advantage of not having to unclip from ski to walk mode as you have to take the skis off to put the skins on and soon get used to sliding down short downhill sections in walk mode with skins on. I've only ever used Dynafits.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with Kelskii.

An irrelevant feature unless you have the balance & flexibility of Baryshnikov.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
also agree with @Kelskii, but have you looked at marker f10 bindings. lighter than the 2 you mention and absolutely fine - I have used them for 6 years or so. also have dynafit but tbh prefer the markers. edgeandwax have them on sale, as do others
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kelskii, plus one on that !!

I use a whole range of skis / bindings as my quiver* of skis has grown over the past few seasons rolling eyes

I have a three of pairs of lightweight touring skis (104mm, 100mm & 89mm) mounted with tech bindings (Dynafit & Vipecs)

Though for next season I now have some 110 Scott Cascade skis which I'll pretty well use as my fresh snow skis all the time, these are mounted with Scott Guardians. Logic behind this setup is that I'll always be packing skins (new skins are uber light) with me just in case I have to go back up which happened a couple of times last season, as well as being flexible should we decide to do some other descents that involve a climb.

I can also use these skis / bindings with my more full on Alpine boots which also have a ski / hike mode so I'm not too worried about the weight of the Guardian, and or they take my AT boots.

The OH's skis for next year employing similar logic to the above are mounted with F10's which we got a stonking deal on end of last season.

*Though will sell off a couple of pairs this autumn
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This has got me thinking - when I had the Fritschis last year we covered a fair bit of undulating ground without bothering to clip in for the downhill parts, and had no problems, so I'm now thinking the whole clip in/out with skis on thing is just good marketing creating a need where none exists! The F10's could be the way to go.

Thanks guys.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A potentially big limiting factor with Tech bindings is that you have to have compatible boots with pin holes whereas Marker F10s and Fritshis can use any boot

I use Fritshis for touring, my touring boots don't have pin holes. I use Marker f10s for my fat skis.

The only disadvantage I've found with not being able to lock down the Markers is when encountering a short downhill section mid ascent when it's not worth taking off skins or skis - it can be very difficult not to do an embarrassing face plant - but these circumstances are few and far between.

You will get lots of discussion and some heated arguments here on the merits of the different systems. In practice they are all good but with minor differences. I know some guides who ski on Fritshis, some on markers and some on tech bindings. They all ski far better than I ever will and I don't accept that choice of binding is likely to be a limiting factor on skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tom Doc, I've got the f12s. They are great and better if you are a bigger chap.
For me the real downside of the Fritchis was the sloppy fit, I used to crank them down to limit it but then you compromise the release. I understand it's not so bad on new models.

However if I'm planning to climb then I will always reach for the dynafit mounted skis. In the long run it's the way to go. The latest touring boots ski as well as alpine boots, and are great walking on icy car parks etc. the only downside I can see is the durability.

I defiantly wouldn't bother with the Barons or Dukes their only function as far as I can see is for skiing downhill in your at boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tom Doc, I have some Tyrolia Adrenalines I will be selling at the end of the year if you would be interested in them (I also have the couteaux for them)?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@scski, Thanks but they're def more and heavier than I'd need. I think I'll go for the F10's for now, and upgrade to tech boots and bindings in the future if I find I'm doing more touring. The F10's will suit me well - I'm not going to be skiing at mach 10 and hucking cliffs, and I'm a skinny guy!

@geoffers, @Kelskii, @Mike Pow, @chrisJersey, @Weathercam, @On the rocks and @jbob - thanks for all the advice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a pair of f10s new in the box that I do not need. Offers?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kelskii wrote:
@Tom Doc, I've never really understood this advantage of not having to unclip from ski to walk mode as you have to take the skis off to put the skins on and soon get used to sliding down short downhill sections in walk mode with skins on. I've only ever used Dynafits.

I certainly wouldn't unclip to go from ski to walk mode on Dynafits (say for covering a long, flat section of a valley).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for the F10's. Occasionally I find they slide forward and then the riser loses effectiveness.

@Weathercam, what are these uber light skins you're using?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used to have Fristchi Freerides on one set of skis (mainly for touring) and Marker Dukes on another (mainly for lift-served, but allowing for a short walk), but I recently swapped the Fritschis for tech bindings.

My experience is actually going into tour mode unintentionally happens more often with those bindings that allow it, than being on the Markers and wishing I could easily switch.

Which is why I'm trying to give the Fritschis away if anyone is interested?! Very Happy
ski holidays
I would choose barons/dukes over Fritschi Freerides if you don't want to go the tech way, as they ski better. Changing mode without unclipping is a gimmick, generally short downhill sections that don't require taking skins off can be skied in walk mode. For longer ascents technical bindings are the way to go. You will be going faster without any extra effort and you need to be able to go fast on tours without being completely knackered by the time you reach your destination as usually you will only have time to take skins off and put some layers before starting descent.
latest report
scski wrote:
@Tom Doc, I have some Tyrolia Adrenalines I will be selling at the end of the year if you would be interested in them (I also have the couteaux for them)?

When are you planning on parting with these and how much?
snow report
@Tom Doc,

I have just moved to tech bindings for my up hill/downhill ski but will look for something more robust for my fat ski when i replace it.

I was always a bit worried about the Fritchis as they seem quite flexible.

I did have a set of Fritchis on a Mantra. I lost a ski so replaced them with same ski but Dukes.

There was a big difference in performance of the Dukes over the Fritchi.

But check out the weights the Dukes are mighty heavy for any bigger climb.

By the way anyone want a set of Dukes?
snow conditions
How much you looking for them?
latest report
Thanks for all the advice - have bought Gorilla's F10's.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy