Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me decide... Plagne 1800, La Tania or Courchevel 1650

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning a group trip (3 families, all intermediate skiing adults and each with 2 kids under 6).

We have quite specific chalet requirements so I have now narrowed it down to three idea accommodation options in Courchevel 1650, Plagne 1800 and La Tania. We've discounted La Rosiere due to the very windy drive at the end (VERY car sick kids).

We want good snow reliability mid March, easy access to good (not ESF) ski schools and good intermediate and beginner skiing with a little bit to entertain a couple of good blokes). Not fussed about nightlife. I can't decide between the resorts!! argh. Anyone any experience of these places?

Thank you
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La plagne will work well - oxygene ski school is Ab Fab, they will pick you up if needed. Road not bad wither with only 21 corners to 1800. Night life in 1800 is minimal but you have a great restaurant in Le petit chaperon rouge that should be visited. Either way I sure you will have fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. We have used Oxygene in Val D'Isere before. Do you think Plagne 1800 would be our best option out of the various Plagne villages? Seems so confusing! I was also wondering about Les Arcs but not finding accom there easily.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Courchevel is an intermediates paradise. First time there (not 1650 or La Tania admittedly but ski area linked) this winter and skiing and snow was great for the time of year, 1st week in April. Both Supreme & New Gen ski schools were great - experienced both as had different schools for me & my son given availability. Both British owned and run, Supreme were fantastic with my son, he came on loads and loved his instructor who did seem to be incredibly good with the kids.

Would get my recommendation, Courchevel skiing infinitely better than Later Rosiere imho.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MtnBikeChick, have you looked at Peisey Vallandry (in Les Arcs)? It's bit lower, not so many switch backs up to resort. But swift access to higher skiing and very central within Paradiski. Loads of chalets. British Ski School New Gen are based there and are very good. I've skied there up to the third week in April and had good conditions with no issue skiing back to resort.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Tania ignoring the ESF bit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed in Plagne Centre and Plagne Soleil and we preferred the latter. Have heard good reports for Belle Plagne but not stayed there personally. A short ski down from Soleil to Plagne Centre then a short chair lift up to the Oxygene meeting place or Grand Rochette / Vedons Nord for a bit of mileage skiing. Alternatively, a trip up Bergerie for Roche de Mio, Montchavin, Les Arcs. We used Lime ski school the last time and thoroughly recommended. There is a great bar at the top of the Dou Du Praz drag - good place after a last run from Grand Rochette.

Not been to La Tania or Courcheval but good friends have returned a few times to La Tania (group of 30 in a chalet) and were really pleased.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 La Tania
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plagne 1800 ugly, short runs and lots of poling - windy road up. La Tania perfect for Courchevel and Meribel but less pricey.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks - am so confused now. We have a great chalet option in La Tania but it seems low to me and we are going 19 March....should we go higher?
I am also considering Les Arcs but am thoroughly confused about the best place to stay. Our main priority is close proximity to a non-ESF ski school as we don't want to have to bus it with kids! Sounds like Courchevel 1650 could be our best option. Tignes would work well, too, but we're struggling to find a chalet for 12 there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I am also considering Les Arcs but am thoroughly confused about the best place to stay. Our main priority is close proximity to a non-ESF ski school as we don't want to have to bus it with kids!

@MtnBikeChick, did you see my suggestion for Peisey Vallandry in Les Arcs above? Apologies if you are discounting it for some other reason, but it seems perfect for your requirements based on what you've said so I thought you might have missed it.

19th March isn't really that late - all the resorts suggested should have good skiing then. Resort height is not the only consideration, it's also whether the runs are south/north facing. North facing slopes will hold up really well even lower down.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Tania or Courch 1650 are both great. For skiing immediately above the resort -for what you are looking for, I'd go for Couch 1650. The blue run into La Tania is lovely with snow making on it so I wouldn't fret about the height. I can't comment on La Plagne. Given the choice between the other 2, maybe it has to come down to the accommodation and how easy it is to get the kids to and from ski school and the slopes in the morning. La Tania chalets tend to be very good for ski in ski out or proximity to slopes, 1650 less so. But 1650 has a more villagey feel. What I would say is that, if you need to get back to pick the kids up at the end of their lesson, then there is more interesting skiing in the immediate area of 1650 so you may find it a more fulfilling option. Hope that helps!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think its a pity you have discounted La Rosiere as it would seem an ideal resort in terms of your general requirements. Is there any way the travel sickness can be overcome with medication, taking the bends slowly? I don't remember the drive up to la Rosiere being that bad but then no one in our family is car sick.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did consider La Rosiere but I heard it can get very windy there? as in wind, not windy roads!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Am struggling to find accomodation options for Peisey-Vallandry!
snow report
@MtnBikeChick, I do recall being sat on a slow chairlift in a cold wind in La Rosiere at New Year once but it was not an issue while skiing and I think some of the slower chairs have since been upgraded. I doubt the wind would be a factor to worry about mid March but as I haven't been there at that time cannot be sure.
snow conditions
Why not buy a guide book? Where to Ski and Snowboard" and my own favourite Good Skiing Guide (now out of print) will tell you all you need to know about these and many other resorts.
ski holidays
@MtnBikeChick, They are out there for Peisey-valandry. Would recommend as a resort. Found this chalet - not stayed there.

http://www.igluski.com/les-arc-peisey-vallandry/chalet-gentiane_p27486?holidayid=1438019257
latest report
@MtnBikeChick, these may not be what you are looking for but a few suggestions here. It's quite a 'chalet dense' part of Les Arcs.
http://www.skibeat.co.uk/ski/france/les_arcs/chalet_gentiane
http://www.skihiver.co.uk/french-ski-chalet/chalet-nancroix-peisey-nancroix-les-arcs
http://www.skihiver.co.uk/french-ski-chalet/chalet-chamois-sleeps-12-14
http://www.whitebeamchalets.co.uk/chalet-bronzier/
http://www.whitebeamchalets.co.uk/chalet-cairn/
http://www.snowchateaux.co.uk/les-arcs-chalets/chalet-peisey
snow conditions
1650, or Motions, and call New Generation
snow report
We regularly ski in Courchevel 1650 and our daughter always goes into the New Generation classes - I highly recommend them. 1650 is fun for kids with the Wigwams on the Indiens run. You can also ski over to 1850 which has fun parks and a jump with air bag (I have never been brave enough to do it but my daughter has) . Saying that you can get up to 1850 quickly in a lift from La Tania.
ski holidays
Courchevel 1550 is also a good bit cheaper than 1850 and is one very easily accessible gondola up to the heart of 1850 with New Gen & Supreme ski schools at your disposal. Having been to both I would definitely choose Courchevel over La Rosiere for the range of skiing, the kids ski cross course is great fun and even hairpin new skiers can progress to pretty easy slopes coming down from the top of the mountain. Also far more to do than La Rosiere.

It's not that La Rosiere is bad, it's just not a patch on Courchevel. If you can get cheaper accommodation at one of the satellite (and lower resorts) of 1550, 1650 or La Tania they'd definitely meet your criteria and snow 19th march should be great still, not just OK!
ski holidays
La Tania isn't the highest but has lifts straight into the 3V. You will have no problems. With snow making the runs to resort will very likely be open.
latest report
La Tania isn't the highest but has lifts straight into the 3V. You will have no problems. With snow making the runs to resort will very likely be open.
latest report
@MtnBikeChick, are all the kids the same age/level ?

Group lessons in march maybe an issue if not, we only found Magic and ESF doing them in La Tania, but we had to put our daughter (was 5) in the 6+ age group which meant a 4hr lesson (with several breaks). She coped fine, but it's something to bare in mind if you are looking for different group lessons. This was with Magic, they do get taken on the air bag in 1850 on a tube rather than skis which was great fun apparently Smile

You'll have no trouble finding a private for all of them or possibly enough to run a group lesson if they are the same level, best talk to some of the schools to find out.

March for skiing was great this year, plenty of coverage, could ski down to La Praz 1300m, a bit soft, especially late afternoon. The red back to la tania closed half way through March, the snow coverage wasn't brilliant, the blue and green were open (they have snow cannons so can build a base so they last longer).

If you are looking for a chalet with nannies, Family Friendly Skiing is an option (we've used them 5 times), Ski Magic also have in house nannies but I've never used them
latest report
@MtnBikeChick, La Tania. It may seem low but the slopes are north facing, it has good links to the rest of 3V for height and by March the base should have built up well. Loads of different ski schools to chose from as well. go on www.latania.co.uk which has lots of info.
ski holidays
I would highly recommend Courchevel 1650 and New Generation.
We stayed in 1550 the season just gone. We spent nearly all of our time skiing 1850 and 1650 - we found the run to La Tania from 1850 to be in very poor shape so gave it a wide berth. We were there the week from March 14th to 21st and the weather was pretty warm. Overall the slopes in 1850 and 1650 were in very good shape but of course the warm temperatures had a big effect as the day wore on. Still it was superb skiing.
3 of our group had lessons with New Generation and couldn't recommend the highly enough. 2 were beginners and the other was on her 3rd week. They all found the slopes in 1850 and 1650 to be ideal for their levels. And there was more than enough for the rest of us "better intermediates" to enjoy.

I am a fan of Les Arcs too. If you could find something accommodation wise to suit you in 1950 I would recommend it. The self catering apartments there are very good if you would consider that instead of a chalet.
ski holidays
I don't know La Plagne but have stayed in La Tania many times and also Courchevel 1650. For a group of intermediates La Tania is very good. Its a quiet place but its very well located to make full use of the whole 3 Valleys, the fast lifts to the ridge above allow you to quickly drop into Courchevel or Meribel, and the runs back are reliable fairly late in the season being north facing and having snow making. However, for young children and beginners there is limited skiing in the village itself and the green run above is quite narrow in places with some through traffic, so not ideal for learning. To get to the good beginner slopes in Courchevel 1850 is a bit of a trek and not that easy for beginners and it is a long way back down to La Tania when coming back

With young children or beginners I would go to 1650. Its disadvantage is that it is slightly out to one side if you are going to ski across the 3 Valleys, though its not that big a deal, and it links well to Courchevel 1850 and between 1650 and 1850, plus 1550, 1350 and La Tania there is a lot of skiing available for intermediates. However, as other posters have said beginners in 1650 have a much better choice of slopes immediately above the resort and plenty to progress to during the week. 1650 is also usually quieter than the other parts of Courchevel which I liked when skiing with my kids when they were young. I haven't skied with New Generation but stayed with lots of people who have given good reports. Hope that's helpful.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In order:
La Tania
La Plagne

Piste skiing in courchevel is much better than La Plagne (loads of runs but they are all very similar and a bit flat). I was going to say IMO but concluded it was superfluous. It is a statement of fact.
I really like 1650 - the skiing just above it is excellent for intermediates and one of the quieter corners of LTV. That said if you have a great chalet option in La Tania then that would be good too. It is a bit low but one of the resort runs is very shady and stays open late season. Two lifts will get you pretty high and into the heart of the LTV.
latest report
@jedster, I agree! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
For beginners c1650 has good long green runs plus indiens run is a real treat for kids imo
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy