Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on a March familiy ski trip (self drive)

Poster: A snowHead
Time to think about snow!

I am seeking some advice from seasoned self-drive-family-ski-holidaymakers. I am in charge of organising our 3 x family ski trip (6 adults 6 kids) next year. We go the first week of Easter (third week of March for us). We have been to Val D'Isere in the past but would like to try somewhere new and also a bit better for intermiedates. Our requirements are pretty simple:

1. Relatively easy drive from Calais (we are not considering Chamonix - even though I know that is the easiest to drive to. It doesn't seem that compact enough to make things easy with little ones).
2. High resort to get good snow reliability in March.
3. Decent selction of chalets within walking distance of lifts and ski schools - really, really want to avoid having to get buses etc in the mornings as we have young kids with us. We want to be in a sole occupancy chalet not a hotel.
4. Availability of childcare (nannies etc) in resort.

Am currently looking at Tignes, Courchevel (expensive??) and possibly Les Arcs or La Plagne - am thoroughly confused about Les Arcs and La Plagne tho, as I can't work out where would be best to stay as the resorts seem spread out.

Any experience anyone?
Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Am currently looking at Tignes, Courchevel (expensive??) and possibly Les Arcs or La Plagne - am thoroughly confused about Les Arcs and La Plagne tho, as I can't work out where would be best to stay as the resorts seem spread out.

Others with more knowlege than I will certainly comment but in my experience:
Tignes, Courchevel, Les Arcs or La Plagne would all do well.
Courchevel will be more expensive than most.
Suggest you add Meribel to your list. Good child care available and plenty of 'proper' chalets. Elsewhere the chalets tend more towards being apartments, few of which may be big enough for a group of that size.
Montalbert (La Plagne area) is a great family location - only possible drawnback is that it is on the edge of the area. Never bothered us. New lift will probably speed up access.
Most resorts should be good for 3rd week in March, but I'd still avoid the lower resorts that access higher pistes. Personally, I do like to SEE snow around the resort, not just up the mountain.
Also in the 3V you might look at St Martin de Belleville. Don't know it that well personally, but others will advise.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
la tania in 3vs too
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MtnBikeChick, Les Arcs would be an ideal resort but you might need to be a bit more flexible on the accommodation front. Arc 1950 is a good base and has high end apartments. You can book a half board option there.

If you want a short drive Portes du Soleil and the Grand Massif are 2-3 hours closer to Calais.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you - the only trouble with Portes du Soleil is I think it is a bit low down for snow reliability. Does Meribel have good snow reliability in March? Thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone have any experience of Reberty 2000?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MtnBikeChick, Have a look at Vallandry, is part of the Les Arcs area but is easy to get from village to rest of area, or even over to La Plagne. It's a very family orientated resort and is small, pretty much everywhere is within walking distance of lift.

If you have a look at Chalets Vallandry they have lots on the Foret run so are essentially ski in/out
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MtnBikeChick, The PdS doesn't go as high as some areas, but some of the resorts are at a very good height. Avoriaz is at 1730m. Les Gets is a reasonable height, but others like Morzine are far too low for my taste. I know others love them.

Late March is really not that late in the season at all so I wouldn't worry too much about the snow as far as skiing goes. If, like me, you also want the resort to be pretty and snowy then I'd make sure you stay above about 1200m.

Quote:

Does anyone have any experience of Reberty 2000?

No. It's the top bit of Les Menuires, most of which is staggeringly ugly, but I think Reberty may be the nicer part. You certainly don't need to go as high as 2,000 metres.

On the basis of what you've told us I'd look at Meribel first.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Late March? With kids in tow? Looking for ski-in/ski-out? underground car park? everything extremely close by? half-board option? Arc1950 ticks all those boxes.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Defo Les Arcs, went this Easter and had chalet at 1600, some of our oparty can not commit yet for 2016, so booked already for March 2016, (in term time) Easter was too expensive for us, staying in a self catering 2 bedroom apartment in 2000, as a little cheaper than 1950, great skiing, everything close by (there is a small gondola from 2000 to 1950 that run till 11pm, so you get the best of both resorts.

We drove for the first time as before did package to Austria, good journey both ways and defo get the Sanef tag, saved queing for the tolls, oh exciting, let us know where you end up, anymore info on Les Arcs just ask Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've plenty of experience in DIY driving trips with kids. Been to Oz-en-Oisans (ADH), Les Coches and Aime 2000 (Paradiski), Les Contamines, La Norma, Les Menuires (3V) and Tignes Le Lac with the children and more prior. That list is in no particular order. Bear in mind though we've never used childcare or ski schools.

Driving wise none were particularly arduous. Getting all the way up to Aime 2000 and Tignes Le Lac is a bit of a drag. It adds a bit of time, it adds a bit more tiring driving, if there is snow that is where it is going to get you and slow you down. Les Coches is probably the easiest of that bunch to get to - it really is a doddle.

Some people don't mind the higher altitude and say that it doesn't bother them. We find being down below 1500 is generally more pleasant and helps with recovery, sleep, etc. Also when the weather does close in at altitude you are walking straight out into the full face of it with no tree line skiing and less "valley" cover. That is obviously less of an issue late season although this past 'Easter' it was significant.

One factor in Tignes is that you have to pay a not insignificant amount to park. At places like Oz and Les Coches there is free outdoor parking. You can still park to load/unload.

In terms of snow conditions. Third week of March shouldn't be an issue. It's good to have the higher altitude skiing available. We went to La Norma in April and it tops out quite low, so there wasn't so much skiing above the slush level. Our kids were very young at the time so we managed. We had a bit of fresh snow aswell. But if you want something a bit more extensive to go at you need something with a bit more scope height and size wise. It doesn't mean you have to stay at altitude. It will almost certainly be skiable from/to lower altitudes. But if the conditions justify you can spend most of the day higher up.

In terms of access to the ski schools. It's not so much buses that you have to worry about, more the exact proximity of your accommodation to the the ski school meeting point that you have to worry about it. Some ski stations have become quite spread out. It should be OK if you can ski down to the meeting point, you just don't want to have to hike up to it.

In terms of the places we've been to as mentioned above.

Oz-en-Oisans (ADH) - nice little ski station with excellent access to the ski area and nice home runs. Highly recommended.
Les Coches - our favourite - great tree skiing, smack in the middle of the ski area, easy access.
Aime 2000 - good self contained building and good access to high altitude skiing
Les Contamines - not suitable for youngsters on account of steep drags and narrow run home. Both avoidable but why bother when there are other options
La Norma - great little resort but probably too small for your needs, maybe be better mid-season
Les Menuires - we had a problem with late opening and lift queues out in the morning. Personally I'd rather stay in La Tania or Le Praz.
Tignes Le Lac - immediate access to some great skiing. Just a bit of a trek up and compulsory paid parking. No trees.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MtnBikeChick, are you looking for catered or self catering accommodation?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For the easiest drive, think about Samoens/Flaine, and Portes Du Soleil. Flaine resort height is around 1650m up to 1800m depending where you stay. PdS, Avoriaz is at 1750/1800m and both resorts have access to much higher skiing. I would expect both to have reasonable skiing in March in a normal season. The high skiing is quite barren at both resorts but then much high skiing is like that! It has to be said I do not like that kind of barren skiing but it ticks the boxes for the rest of my family early or late season!

My personal preference in March for your requirements would be to drive a little further ( an hour or two? depending on traffic ) to Les Arcs. But if you have driven to VdI you will have done most of the drive previously. If you choose your accommodation wisely, so that the views are good from your accommodation (if that matters) and pistes are easily accessible, it would not matter weather you stayed at Arc 2000 (Ski Esprit use a number of chalets in Chalet Altitude, 2000 and their kids club meets right outside) or 1950. Skiing for intermediates is great from either resort. Vallandry is lower so resort level snow, as with Samoens or Morzine may be less reliable. I am not keen on Arc 1800 or La Plagne but again for the rest of my family they were fine.

Other French areas mentioned above are again a little further but as a percentage of an already long drive could easily be considered. However none of them shouted at me/our family that they were much better than the nearer resorts!

Look particularly for where your accommodation is located within a resort, easy access to lifts/pistes varies.

Courchevel, has a number of resorts at differing heights and whilst the pistes have always been extremely well groomed when we have been there, it is expensive and again, as with everywhere, you need to watch at which Courchevel you would be located, and where you would be in relation to lifts!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MtnBikeChick, La Tania ticks all your boxes very well. Look for a decent chalet operator there and you'll be sorted. Everything ski-in/out pretty much or walking distance. Lots of childcare. Lots of choice of english speaking decent ski schools. Sledging area and traffic free resort. Few nice restaus and bars. Bus to nearby playground at Le Praz and up to Courchevel for swimming pool. Went there 3 Easters running with a party of 17 - 8 adults and 9 kids aged 2 - 9. Worked well. La Tania better bet for snow than Meribel at that time and Courchevel valley only pass suffices for most.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sarah, Sorry but I do not agree with you about La Tania. It is not a resort that holds up well if snow is a bit scarce, the only 2, heavily trafficked, runs back into resort are prone to ice and bare patches, so for children/intermediates/March it would not be my choice. Also some of the chalets require quite a walk to the lifts/pistes. Not good if you are ever managing children + skis as well as yourselves, although that could be mitigated with careful selection of where you stay. We actually chose to drive round to Courchevel to access much better skiing last New Year when we were in La Tania. But you clearly had good experiences there nonetheless, it just proves that what works for one ski party does not necessarily for another, also we probably had some of the worst New Year snow conditions in many a long time!
latest report
@CaravanSkier, three years running in April too, not March, good conditions. You were there once last New Year when conditions everywhere left a lot to be desired.

So anyway if you can't ski down because you have children who can't, or the conditions aren't what you like, or whatever then you download by gondola.

La Tania has loads of chalets. Should be easy to pick one that is well located. The OP doesn't say what ages the kids are. Maybe the kids will be in the chalet being looked after all day anyway or be organised by nannies, the OP asked for nannies, so their job to schlep the kids about then!

Very easy access to the skiing of Courchevel from la Tania without Courchevel prices.

The op had Meribel on the list and someone else recommended Meribel. In terms of pistes holding up in the Spring then Meribel would be at the bottom of my list of 3Vs resorts.
ski holidays
La Tania has been fine the last two seasons in march. Only issue was the red back to the village getting a bit bare. but the blue and green have been in great condition till the afternoon when they become slushy but that's the same for any lower runs anywhere.we have used family friendly skiing everytime we have been in house nannies will deal with the kids and our daughter always has a good time with them.

Meribel is the worst in spring the slopes get too much sun along with the expense it's just as bad as courchevel. But you do have quicker access to val thorens.

Courchevel doesnt need to be expensive there are several threads of places to eat that are not going to break the bank.
snow conditions
@sarah, Its true I have stayed there only once, though I have skied in that area many times. It may well be that I got a bad 'close up` of the resort, however it is always good to know the worse case scenario when choosing where to go. I would still prefer Arc 2000 and 1950 for the easiest access to skiing
ski holidays
Best resort for young kids is Risoul IMHO but a bit of a long way. La Tania has all of the great skiing of Courchevel with lower prices. La PLagne and Les Arcs both High, north facing and snowsure. March is usually fine for most of France with modern snowmaking.
ski holidays
Look at Flaine and in particular Terrasses d'Helios or Terrasses d'Eos in Flaine Montsoleil. They are both ski in ski out (they are next door to each other) and the former has a creche. Helios was new last season so the gremlins should now have been dealt with. It is 550 miles door to door from Calais, do-able in about 8 hours with limited stops. All good quality self catering apartments, the ones in Eos are slightly larger. The apartments themselves are at about 1650m and Flaine skis up to 2300m. Access to the whole of the Grand Massif. Helios has its own Spar and equipment hire shop in the development and Eos has a good restaurant. The resort 'ain't pretty' but the snow and accommodation is more important IMHO.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy