Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VT, Tignes or Les Deux Alpes for Boxing Day?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, this is my first ever post so forgive me if I make any mistakes!

We are a family of four (2 adults, two kids (11 and 9)) and are broadly intermediate skiers (having done four ski trips to Piessey Vallandry, Serre Chevalier, Hinterglem and Les Arcs.)

Next season we are going to Piessey Vallandry again at half term with Club Med and are looking forward to it. We like Paradiski as there are loads of runs to suit all levels, nice scenery and plenty of snow (at least in Feb!)

The question is that we would like to go somewhere new for a week immediately after Christmas - so much earlier. However we are keen to choose a place which is likely to have snow at that time, but will not be either too small, too easy or too hard.

Current options we have been thinking about are:

Val Thorens
Tignes
Les Deux Alpes

They all seem to have fairly good reviews hence the question to the Snowheads to help us make the right decision!

Any and all comments welcomed.

Thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All the areas you have been to before are large and spread out, they give the opportunity to feel like you have travelled. I can't comment on Tignes of VT because I've never been, but Les Deux Alpes doesn't really give you the feeling that you've travelled, the skiing is pretty much on two mountains with the town sandwiched in between. You can still ski a long way though if you like to go from top to bottom - glacier down to the village.

This doesn't make it good or bad, just a bit different to areas you have been to before. I've been to each of the areas you have been to and I preferred them to L2A.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Hammerite. We like that feeling of "travelling" and being able to plot a route round the mountains, as such that's useful feedback re L2A.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VT or Tignes would be my choice out of the three. However, bear in mind that a. It will be very expensive and busy as it's new year week. So book soon! b. High resorts at that time of year can be VERY cold, and prone to lifts shutting due to wind and poor weather and visibility.
As a 3V enthusiast I would suggest looking at some of the slightly lower resorts in the area to base yourself in, as then you may have more options on a bad weather day. (Yes I know last Christmas and NY the snow was poor, but work on the basis that that was exceptional!). Which to go for? That's probably down to personal preference. For me, I love St Martin de Belleville-pretty village, lovely runs down. Also Courchevel 1650 (Moriond) which has some lovely cruisy skiing as does Couchevel 1850 (if you can find some reasonably priced accommodation!).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob1971, Is Christmas week not possible? Cheaper and a lot less crowded. I agree with @Perty about altitude. If forced to go to the 3 Valleys at New Year I'd stay in Courchevel 1650.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could also go for La Tania or Le Praz (proper village as lifts/busses are convenient and/or close.
There is nothing worse than VT on a bad day but weather is never as bad lower down
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Perty and @pam w thank you. Very helpful. One of my more experienced skiing mates also warned about the potentially very cold temperature of high resorts. I had not considered going lower as a base (we have always been spoilt with ski in ski out, but maybe we should broaden horizons - do you think Courcheval 1650 would have ski in ski out at that time of year (sorry if this is a silly question!)

Have never heard of La Tania or Le Praz but will check them out - thanks Pam.

We could consider going Christmas week - but having almost missed out on snow last year (it snowed the day we arrived on 27th December - phew!) we are paranoid about there being no snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
We could consider going Christmas week - but having almost missed out on snow last year (it snowed the day we arrived on 27th December - phew!) we are paranoid about there being no snow.

Last year was exceptional in my 20-odd years experience and shouldn't be taken as a guide.

We usually stay at lower villages such as Les Coches (Paradiski) and Oz-en-Oisans (Alpe D'Huez). Also stayed at Les Contamines at Christmas. Was never a problem. Last year we booked an apartment in Les 7 Laux and had to switch to Tignes a couple of days before travelling (beauty of driving and DIY meant this was an easy switch). But it doesn't put me of booking again at ~1300-1500 metres. The conditions then dictate if you ski high or low. Les Coches is an excellent place to be in poor weather conditions. Has a bit more scope than say Oz or La Tania but these do at least give you something to ski when everything up top is a whiteout and/or closed.

Christmas week IMO is a great week to go as long as you aren't a big fan of Christmas back home.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If there's a big dump in early/mid December, then a snow-drought, Christmas will be better than New Year - especially given the heavy traffic on the pistes at New Year. It's not possible to be sure of snow at any time of year and both Christmas and New Year are early. Many resorts will have better snow cover at Easter than at Christmas/New Year (not to mention longer days).

Courchevel 1650 had the best snow in the 3V when we were there in a sunny, but dry, early January in 2002. The following week we did a bit of a road trip and discovered Les Saisies, which had better snow than anywhere in the 3V and the coffee was half the price. So we bought an apartment there. wink But queues at New Year are horrendous - routine 15 minute wait, or more, at the main lifts, often even more at peak times. I don't go near the downhill pistes at New Year, regardless of the state of the snow.

Lift queues at Christmas are likely to be much smaller than in the following week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another on to look at is Courchevel 1550 - it is cheaper than 1650 and 1850. We were able to ski all the way down to 1550 one year the week before Christmas - though obviously isn't guaranteed they were very active with the snow cannons building the levels up further. However one advantage is if the snow isn't great you can easily download from 1850 ( which is what we did one April we stayed there.)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob1971,
Quote:

do you think Courcheval 1650 would have ski in ski out at that time of year

The only time I stayed in 1650 it was the other side of the road from the lift, a good 50m away. IIRC most of the accommodation is that side of the road. You have to walk across the road you cannot ski across it.

But it would be highly unusual if you couldn't ski down to the lift. If there is no snow to 1650 there probably will be none to 1850 either

@pam w, OK New Year is the busiest week in the season, but in Les Arcs a queue of 15 minutes even that week would be unusual (probably due to a lift breakdown)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If there is no snow to 1650 there probably will be none to 1850 either

true. and if there's only snow in Val Thorens, at New Year, it will be shockingly crowded.

@johnE, A queue of 15 minutes for the main chairs out of the Saisies bowl isn't unusual at New Year. Further afield things are much quieter but those lifts are difficult to avoid. It amuses me when people are advised to go to a "small, quieter, resort". Our area is not particularly small and certainly not quiet at New Year - though outside the 5 main holiday weeks you can normally ski straight onto lifts and have whole pistes to yourself (it's the lack of any package tour operators which probably makes the difference, plus the French determination to all take their hols at the same time, even if they don't have kids) I'm a bit spoilt. The main pistes in the 3 Valleys or the EK even in mid January strike me as too crowded. The lifts are OK, because they have stunning lift systems, but busy pistes are a pain too.

You'd have to pay me to ski in any busy Alpine resort at New Year. I'd really rather do something else.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've never skied in Europe at New Year. As I'll have my place in L2A I'm heading out this year between Christmas and New Year, more to party with friends than to ski though Very Happy Will start skiing on 2nd!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob1971, another one to look at could be Cervinia if you are certain you want to go high.

I agree with the others, if the family are open to the idea Christmas week is much better to ski than New Year. Similar conditions but fewer queues and cheaper. As it happens I've spent Christmas in both L2A and Cervinia.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Claude B, am I right in what I've read in that L2A suffers from loutish Italians at New Year? Sure Lizard has mentioned it in the past.
snow report
@hammerite, I believe so yes. I'm planning a party at mine so out of the way of that sort of thing Happy

Mind you if they don't sort the Chambon tunnel out they'll struggle to get there Happy
snow report
Laughing btw I wasn't slighting your New Year plans, but it might be a consideration for the OP as they'll have family in tow.
snow conditions
I'd second the vote for you to look at La Tania. There is plenty of good chalet type accommodation there, and much of it ski in ski out or very close to it, though slightly less of the red run back down isn't open. There is snowmaking on the lovely tree lined blue run back to the village, so you should be fine for NY week.Www.latania.co.uk is a good resource. Le Praz is pretty, but the runs down can often be icy and a bit tricky (red and black) and the village is perhaps a bit low. Not much fun unless the conditions are perfect. Courchevel 1650 may not have much true ski in/out...though there is some, but there's plenty within a very shot walk. There's great skiing in the whole area immediately above the village. Access to the rest of the 3v is easy, though the vastness of the area, coupled with unfamiliarity might make it it bit daunting. Would gladly offer my services as a guide...for a free holiday! wink
What sort of accommodation are you looking for? Package or DIY?
snow conditions
The week after Christmas Val Thorens will be fully open and have snow on the pistes. Even this year the pistes were fine in the first week of December.

New Year is very crowded but not quite as crowded as February half term. More so if it is warm and the rest of the 3 vallees are struggling. However, by new years eve that is pretty unlikely.

the strengths and weaknesses of VT are well discussed. Lots of skiing. Purpose made, so doesn't have the French village feel. It can be cold but that's never been a real problem for us or any guests we've ever had. Without trees around it can be difficult in flat light conditions.

However, the variety of skiing, the vast area, the sureness of the snow, in my opinion more than outweigh its weaknesses. Certainly, as soon as it looks like the snow is going to be a bit iffy, or warm in the alps, then we get inundated with booking requests.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy