Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

50th Birthday Ski Holiday advice?!

Poster: A snowHead
Dear All,

It's my husband's 50th Birthday next January and I would like to surprise him with an awesome ski holiday and am looking for recommendations from all you SnowHeads out there.

He's a big telemarker and is happy to ski all day every day if he had the chance. We went to Jackson Hole last year and had an amazing time! If anyone could recommend an amazing ski break anywhere in the world I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

Thanks in advance,
Louise Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit vague @Loubelou. wink What does he like, apart from telemarking? What's the budget? And what would make it more "awesome" than your regular holidays (Jackson Hole sounds pretty special).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dolomite ski tour??

http://mountaintracks.co.uk/trip/dolomites-circuit-ski-tour

Dolomite gourmet ski tour !

http://www.dolomitemountains.com/en/winter_spring_trips/dolomite_ski_safari.htm

Dolomite luxury ski tour.............

https://www.scottdunn.com/luxury-tours/dolomites-luxury-ski-safaris
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Utah.

Stay at Park City Peaks, ride (sorry ski) all the resorts, return home each day and relax in the outdoor hot tub with a beer while it snows.

Your welcome.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski touring in Norway http://mountaintracks.co.uk/trip/ski-touring-fjordland-norway
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.lyngenlodge.com

We went here this season- everything about this place is simply stunning!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, these are all amazing destinations! There are so many hidden gems out there!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobhitch....including the price Shocked!! We love ski touring and would love to stay there. Snow head Bergmeister went and says it was worth every penny - still very expensive nevertheless.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 11-06-15 23:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try looking at this place: http://www.chalet-panorama.com/

Several snowHeads had a fabulous week there a couple of years back. The owner is an old friend of mine from way way back with decades of experience in the hotel trade. I didn't realise he owned it until I was talking to someone staying there. This chalet really is something special and the skiing ain't bad either wink There are a few Trip Adviser reviews that seem to back up the fact that this is something special: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g227585-d1314931-Reviews-Chalet_Panorama-Maria_Alm_Austrian_Alps.html

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here are my suggestions - in no particular order:

- Assuming you are reasonably proficient in powder, how about catskiing from a wilderness lodge in Canada. Have a look at Mustang Powder (been - incredible!); or Island Lake (not been - looks amazing). Fresh tracks on every run, fantastic accommodation and food.

- Stay at 3100m anove Zermatt with amazing views of the Matterhorn & direct access to the pistes. Have a look at Kulmhotel Gornergrat. Have eaten there but not stayed. On our to do list.

- Stay a night at The Ice Hotel in Jukkusjarvi, Sweden. Did it for a wedding anniversary. Simply stunning. Stay midweek for cheaper rates - we did so and stayed in an ice suite, with amazing ice sculptures. The bar (also made of ice) serves vodka in glasses made of ice. You then drive on ice roads, with studded tyres on the hire cars, to small scenic ski resorts like Bjorkliden and Riksgransen.

- Stay at Chateau Lake Louise and ski Lake Louise, Sunshine and Norquay. Panorama and Nakiska are do-able too. The hotel is just fantastic - we called for one night about four years ago on spec and got a room for under £100. It overlooks a frozen lake/fantastic scenery.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A few years ago for my 50th (in May) my partner surprised me with a large envelope with travel documentation for a ski trip to Chile in the following September. It was a great trip, taking in a week at Portillo (small ski area being used by some of the world's top FIS skiers, nice hotel with great food and pampering, with a bonus that it was "wine week" with free tastings every night Smile hic), followed by a train and then 4x4 to Chillan (nice hotel and some of the best, most deserted off piste skiing ever on an active volcano) and finishing up in Santiago for a couple of days, with a taxi day trip to Valle Nevado (kind of 3 valleys) ski area.

The only downside is it takes a while to get to South America, otherwise its all good!!! That trip was arranged by Pura Aventura, brilliant company, we've done other trips with them, notably walking in the lovely Picos de Europas mountains in northern Spain.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Loubelou, Arlberg 2 centre trip, St Anton and Lech/ Zurs
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Budget and ability?

For a telemarker a trip to Norway would be pretty cool. Lofoten looks gorgeous.

Japan for powder, obviously.

Also maybe Kashmir... Snow is incredible - not quite as consistent as Japan but the terrain is better. The heliskiing is also pretty affordable (and accesses some great trees), while even the resort terrain affords fresh tracks long after a storm. Accommodation ranges from very budget to absolutely gorgeous 5* colonial type stuff, and the curries are delicious. It's much quicker to get to than Japan, and a night on a house boat on Dal Lake, Srinagar is very romantic.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go to Whistler in Canada, Stay in the Gold Room suites at Chateau Whistler. The extra $ you spend on the nicer room is made up by not having to pay for Breakfast, snacks soft drinks, water pastries foo-foo coffees etc... and a nice happy hour spread some use for dinner. All this in a private lounge used only by Gold Room guests on 8th and 9th floor. Concierge crew are amazing and will see to it you have a wonderful stay. Ski pass is good for 2 Mountains, Whistler and Blackcomb as well as the Peak to Peak Gondola, which allows you to go between mountain tops. You don't have to go down the mountain to get to the other. Your hubby can ski all day and still not have time to get to all the trails both mountains provide. When you get back to the hotel, go in the eucalyptus steam room, swim in or outdoors in heated pool or jacuzzi while its snowing, then walk into town. Plenty of shopping, eating dancing entertainment. Non ski day(s) go Zip lining over old growth forest and ravines or snowmobiling. Best resort in North America hands down. We go in early December when lift lines don't exist. There has always been snow in early December for the 14 years I've been going there.
Fly into Vancouver B.C. not Vancouver, Washington. Whistler is 2-3hours North by car or coach bus depending on weather. The drive on the Sea to Sky Highway is spectacular. The train ride up is just as amazing if not more so. We've started spending a few days in Vancouver B.C., prior to going up to Whistler.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This thread is like a "how much can I p up the wall looking for the best and how far can I travel".....you don't have to go beyond Europe to get the best....Europes resorts are full of folks from US/ Canada, I've never understood why people want to chase around the world looking for the latest "I've been there" resort, maybe I'm easy pleased, don't think so, I just don't think it's necessary.
ski holidays
But the holiday doesn't just have to be about skiing and snow, does it? Kashmir would be interesting and a houseboat night fabulous.
snow conditions
I had a week in St. Anton for my 50th. Great skiing, great apres, great holiday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@halfhand, +1
snow conditions
You can't go too wrong with a stay in an amazing boutique hotel in Zermatt...check out the hotel Matterhorn Focus. Bathtubs with a view of the most iconic mountain are hard to beat. Or...at the other end of the scale, how about a quaint mountain hideaway like Rifugio l'Aroula in Champoluc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy