Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April 2016 - Where to go??

Poster: A snowHead
Was originally planning a February half term holiday but this has now been ruled out as SO expensive.
So now thinking of first week of Easter school holidays, 2nd April.
Have never skied at this time of year before, so any tips very welcome!
Do I need to be thinking of a snow sure resort? Have been looking at Val Thorens, which is coming in on budget but just doesn't look as pretty as other resorts I've been too, do like a tree lined piste!
Any other suggestions of resorts ideal for family skiing, children have skied before, would also prefer half board option.
Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Countess, we have booked to go to Gressoney for that week for next year. We are going with Esprit for the children's clubs and lessons. Our girls will be 6 & 9 then.

Previous seasons we have been second week of April, last season it was St Anton, previous season Les Deux Alpes and season before that Belle Plagne. Another resort we have been to in April is Courchevel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The missus & I went to El Tarter, Andorra on 5th April this year with Neilson.

Magic.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=118158

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 7-06-15 15:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, good to know that is somewhere I had considered.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Countess, do your schools break up after Easter then? Easter Sunday is the 27 March

In my view you will need to aim fairly high, but you can never tell for sure. We have been to Les Arc last few years and has been fine down to 1600m

Easter is lovely time to ski, slopes are quieter than other holiday times and days are longer, plus you can usually get a bit of sun on balcony
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boris, that week is second week of school holidays in Hampshire, are yours different?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a general rule, the first week of April will have decent snow cover above 1600m or so, depending on slope aspect of course.

If you were to forego your trees requirement wink, I'd say Tignes every time for a late season trip. Espace Killy (Tignes & Val D'Isere) is open until first/second week of May.

If trees is a definite requirement:

- Les Arcs - Lovely tree runs at the Peisey/Vallandry end of the system. Huge area.

- Val Cenis - Unheard of in UK (although Val C is the name of the area, not a resort - we stayed in Lanslevillard, which is a rustic old village); lots of trees; north facing slopes; big area. Best of all, prices for accommodation, food and drink are loads cheaper than the mainstream resorts. And you can get a valley pass covering 3 or 4 other resorts (with buses to the other areas operating on specific days).

- La Tania/ 3 Valleys - Lovely (north facing) tree runs; world's biggest ski area. Or Courchevel (a bit pricier than La Tania).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For France 3 valleys is pretty reliable as mentioned above. La Tania or Courchevel 1550 slightly cheaper options. Snow was still pretty good at 1550 same week this year. Ugliewr but les Menuires is also better value. La Plagne, Les Arcs, les Deux Alpes etc. also reliable options.

Are you tied to France? Otherwise lots of options in Austria, Italy & Switzerland - Obergurgl, Serfaus, Mayrhofen, Cervinia, La Thuile, Saas Fee, Zermatt etc. to name but a few. Lots and lots of late season options and spring skiing is very nice for children.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, gressoney is not north facing and catces a lot of sun. Not sure about there for April
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all very much for your replies. Will definitely look into some of these resorts. Had thought about Les Arcs but it didn't come up in the 'recommended' resorts for late season, so discarded it!
Our school holidays are a bit strange next year. We have the Easter weekend off, back to school for 4 days then 2 weeks off.
Any hotel recommendations? Often do DIY holiday bookings.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115798
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, Northants break up Thursday 24th, so we will travel Good Friday and ski w/c 26th March
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Countess, Suprised, Les Arc has good snow record and a lot of high runs to suit all abilities, we've had plenty of snow over last few years.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Countess, your dates are unusual if their two weeks of starts on the week beginning 2nd April, then by going a week later will be low season for TO's (I know you said you usually DIY) so could be very good value for money and I bet you will get some good last minute bargains that way you could follow the snow?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want trees and good snow in April you've got to be looking at Colorado really which is expensive. La Plagne is high and snowsure, north facing and has some tree lined stuff lower dwon if conditions are good.
snow report
As long as you're not one of the weirdos who hates a bit of slush, the vast majority of resorts are good then in all but the worst seasons. You really DON'T have to limit yourself to Colorado.

Ischgl would be a safe bet though.
snow report
Kaprun is amazing at that time of the year.
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?search_keywords=easter
snow conditions
Wot clarky999 said. I'd add the Arlberg to that. In France I'd head to Val D'Isere which is a lot prettier than Val Thorens or Les Arcs. No need to head to Colorado for good skiing in April.
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=mayrhofen+easter#2124833

Mayrhofen is the place to be.
latest report
we're looking at the same week and have looked at Arc 1950, Hochsolden and a few other options. We're thinking of Arc 1950 as it's high, plenty to do for the kids and we want self catering. Initial plans were Canada/US but I think we might save that for the following year now
snow conditions
We did La Plagne 2nd week in April this year and it was fine . . .a bit slushy lower down in the afternoon, but all round clear blue skies and excellent skiing . . .others on same transfers did Reberty (Les Menuires) which was also good conditions, with the option of Val Thorens if necessary . . .
snow report
Done Soldeu Andorra last week in March for last 2 years. Fantastic snow, long runs and no lift queues.
ski holidays
Quote:

Do I need to be thinking of a snow sure resort? Have been looking at Val Thorens, which is coming in on budget but just doesn't look as pretty as other resorts I've been too, do like a tree lined piste!

We ski that time of year, originally when the kids were small because we though warmer weather would be better for them and short days didn't matter and now in addition to earlier season skiing.

I'd definitely go for a snow sure resort. Ideally that would mean high. Personally I really like the skiing at VT and could live without trees that time of year. Similar options would be Tignes / La Plagne / Les Arcs - with plenty of moderate skiing at high altitude. I'd agree with other that the cheaper bits of Courchevel would be excellent - pretty high, quite shady and trees! 1650 would be good. A less obvious option would be Sestriere - part of a big ski area, high and lots of trees. Cheaper than France too. These days we ski Easter at Les Contamines - it has some tree lined pistes but not at altitude so I'm not really recommending it to you but it is an example of slightly lower resorts with an excellent Easter snow record because of elevation and microclimate (influence of Mt Blanc) -- that time of year facing Northish is worth a few 100m of altitude! There may be some others that qualify.
ski holidays
Arc 1950 with the half board option would be ideal for you that week.
snow report
We did a DIY trip to Belle Plagne this year in the Easter Holidays. Stayed at Les Balcons Apartments. Was fantastic, ski in and out. Queues were only a problem just after 9 in Bellecote when all the ski schools were getting up the hill. If you get out 10 mins before then and up on first lifts we found you can avoid queues for most of day. Snow was fantastic
ski holidays
Stayed in Meribel that same week this year, could just about ski back to resort on the slush at the end of each day - even though it seemed to have not been a spectacularly good year for snow cover, pisteurs doing a good job keeping the runs open. But the 3 Valleys is so accessible from Meribel which means you get a great choice of Courcheval and Val Thorens as well as the higher Meribel slopes. Plus you can download back to resort on the lifts if needed. La Tania has more trees and the same would apply as Meribel but not quite so central to the 3V.

I also found there was a good range of late deals for Easter even to some big resorts. May be worth waiting to see how he snow falls
latest report
Quote:

May be worth waiting to see how he snow falls

Definitely. No point booking now for an April (low season) week - there'll be some good bargains available. Val Cenis or similar French resort (ie not one crammed full of Brits) would be a good choice as the French mostly give up skiing by the end of March. Easter is low season prices in most French resorts.

Some resorts will be closed, or closing down though (they often close for lack of punters even when there's plenty of snow); I wouldn't agree that you can go "anywhere".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy