Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instruction for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
I am about to embark on organising my second ski holiday. My first, last year, was a bit of a disaster. I didn’t learn much in my group lessons, developed the stance of a duck and failed to really leave the nursery slopes all week. I came back rather disheartened! Being stubborn, I don’t want to give in so want to go back and prove to myself I can do it! Very Happy . I have been told that the resort I went to - Val d'Isere is not the best for beginners and the lessons I had were not with the best instructor.

Can anybody offer advice on a really good ski school for people who are not born skiers and are very nervous indeed? I am very flexible about resort too so any tips on suitability for beginners would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Martin, go to Les Deux Alpes and book lessons with our very own easiski. If you search around here you'll find plenty of testimonials to her effectiveness. Her rates are pretty good - although if it's just for you it may work out a bit dear over a full week (although, of course, worth every penny Wink ).

(and then she can buy me a drink Very Happy ).

There are of course a few other good instructors elsewhere in the Alpes too, but it been a while since I started so I don't have much first hand knowledge on this to share with you - it may also be worth tapping eEvans' experience as he started recently and seems to have had instruction from just about everybody Laughing

BTW Welcome to snowHeads - a great place to pick up all sorts of interesting stuff, some of it even useful too - but seriously damaging to your time-management!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Martin,

Welcome to snowHead Tough luck on your first holiday. I am sure other people will be along with good ski schools as I do not know ones which are particulary good for beginners. One thing I would say though is that if you live near a dry slope lessons there will be worthwhile as they can give you a reasonable technique and restore a bit of confidence.

Many resorts are excellent for beginners,budget, time of year and what types of accommodation you are looking for will narrow things down a bit. If Vald'I was a bit over the top maybe a small Austrian resort maybe a better idea.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Courchevel is a great resort for beginners, particularly the villages at 1850 or 1650. Lots and lots of nursery slopes, and importantly, lots of gentle slopes to progress to as your confidence improves. There are also a couple of very good Brit-run ski schools there if you want to sign up for a week's group tuition: Ski Supreme and New Generation.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Martin, Most resorts tend to have at least one ski school that is better than the rest. I suggest that once you have narrowed it down to a particular resort let us know and you will no doubt get some recommendations on particular ski schools/ Instructors
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Martin - welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Masterclass at Alpe d'Huez were very good. An English ski school with small classes and very good tuition. If you do a search for them on snowHeads I think others have also spoken highly of them. Good luck and stick with it! Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to Snowheads Helen Martin!

Pretty new to snowHead s myself and have found it absolutely great for friendly advice.

Bit a beginner myself (but very enthusiastic Smile ) and have only been skiing once so far in Les Carroz (Grand Massif) but that was absolutely fantastic. Went from being a nervous beginner just off dry ski slope (which was good enough for the basics) to cruising down my first red run in four days. The Ski School there was top notch, we took only three 2 hour private lessons. Going there again on Sunday!

I have also heard a lot of good things (and nothing negative whatsoever) about the ski school in Soldeu in Andorra (where I am headed with a beginners group in March). Apparently very gentle slopes for beginners and very good tuition.

Don't give up and good luck! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Martin wrote:

Can anybody offer advice on a really good ski school for people who are not born skiers and are very nervous indeed? I am very flexible about resort too so any tips on suitability for beginners would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much!! Very Happy

I can only comment on Andorra Soldeu. But what I would say is it's great snowHead snowHead

We've been twice and are going back in 3 weeks Cool
despite twisting my knee the first time I went on a ski holiday i still learnt alot and took some private lessons as i had to drop out of ski school
groups are between 8-10 all of a similar level.
80% of instructors are english speaking as their first language (especially at the beginners level)Private lessons are pretty cheap too.

there is a mix of us going some beginners other intermediates and we've all learned stuff

check out
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/ This is our website and it has a few reviews of Andorra.
Also
http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/main.aspx?lang=4&section=98&subsection=105
ok that's my rave over with, going to lie down in a dark room now and dream of skiing
good luck
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
I think Courchevel is a great resort for beginners, particularly the villages at 1850 or 1650. Lots and lots of nursery slopes, and importantly, lots of gentle slopes to progress to as your confidence improves. There are also a couple of very good Brit-run ski schools there if you want to sign up for a week's group tuition: Ski Supreme and New Generation.

Got to second that. We always use Supreme (top people!) and last year we had a very nervous, rank beginner with us. She tried one group lesson and it went way too fast for her. At her request Supreme swapped her to privates on the spot (OK money wasn't really an object for her) and by the end of the week she managed to ski back to 1650 with the rest of us - albeit v slowly and with a lot of encouragement, but she had the technique to do it (even if she didn't believe she had). I've heard equally good things about New Generation.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife was learning with Altitude at Verbier last week - My wife thinks that the guy is a genius and during his instruction she only fell twice when she was with me she fell more.....apparently me and one of our French friends are b******s

I used ESS in Champery earlier that week - but then I had snowblading lessons - you will see that some people on here suggest using snowblades for the first couple of days as they are easier to manage than skis

As my instructor said when teaching me how to carve - learning on blades with the right commitment can be done in minutes - but they can also be a lot less forgiving depending on your balance - maybe try them for a day and see how you get on ..... if you dont like them use skis or whatever takes your fancy..... but enjoy it.

I have been snowblading for a total of about 5 days - I played ice hockey and rollerblade - that was another point the instructor made is it was obvious to him I was a skater from the movement on the flat to the downhill at speed and knowing how to fall wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
None of the ski schools in Courchevel can be described as cheap, but we have had similarly excellent service from Ski Academy. We had an instructor called Raphael who agreed to take 4 of us on some private lessons. We were in 2 seperate abilty groups. He would give both groups seperate things to practise. He would ski with one of the groups whilst the other practised their excercise on the other side of the piste, he would then swap and somehow he had identified what we had been doing wrong whilst he had been tutoring the other group. Not only that but the things he did were fun and extremeley helpful. My wife was slightly more attracted to him than I was comfortable with rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Martin, you may get some confidence back by going to your local dry slope and having some lessons there.

Personally I find the benefit of English speaking instructors to be invaluable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Martin, welcome to snowheads, you could do worse than to look at La Rosiere, it's a great resort for learning to ski, sunny south facing slopes, wide open pistes and 3 good ski schools. You'll find some reviews in the resorts sections but all of our guests who were beginners have loved the reosrt and made real progress. Good luck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Martin, Despair Not. It will come, not because you don't want to be beaten but because you obviously enjoy it. Easiski will get loads of rave reviews around here (still waiting for someone to give her a hard time based upon experience rather then the written word). There are however loads of excellent instructors out there, my only 'non-sequitur' is how they mange to live on the trifling amounts they charge. With 'named' exceptions apart , I'm sure you will find that 'local' instructors are invariably good and better 'VFM' than Brits , but DO take private lessons- so much more focus.

This time last year I had just done my 1 st ever week skiing - my instructor was French, and he took me from BASS-induced despair ( and a sore posterior) to Duck then Dove. Alas, I may never be a Killy , Tomba or Herminator but at least I can now ski without the whole resort taking odds on the seconds between falls.

Aaargggh , your question. I learnt in Les Gets - a really excellent Beginner/Intermediate resort which caters for the occasional (Brit) skier ... 360International taught me ....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eEvans wrote:
... but DO take private lessons- so much more focus.

Undoubtedly one-one tuition can be very useful, but depending on your particular needs I think that a week of group tuition also has a role as you climb up the learning curve. Very often what is required is to be led to the right gradient of slopes, with instruction and lots of feedback as you develop your technique, and to consolidate your learning without being scared by the terrain you're on. Private lessons are not always good at this because you will only have one or two during the week (unless money is no concern, in which case have a week of private lessons).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 4-01-06 16:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
As a beginner, the value of seeing others in your situation falling on their backsides as much as you should also not be underestimated. It helps you realise that it's a normal part of the learning process and you're not a klutz or no-hoper just for falling over
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, I'm sure we've looked at this sometime in the last year but I can't find a link. I confess that I have never had Mallory-Type 'Big-Wing' group lessons, howver this year my daughter did. First week (5 days) , a small group and loads of progress, 2nd week only 'suitable' group class allegedly for her level gad her revisiting on day 3 what she had done on day 2 of week 1. This was (unfortunately if predictably) due to Brits over-egging their capabilities . She is extremely shy and didn't complain to me or the instructor. Only on Day 3 did I see what was happening ... not the school or instructor's fault. Easily rectified but WHAT a waste!

Remember all JIT theory etc? Same principle applies to learning to ski ?? ( enter learned instructors!!)
snow report
i think the group lessons can be a benefit...especially as you get to meet people in a similar situation and get to have a bit of a laugh together. but if you're not in the right level group, it can be very limiting...and possibly very frustrating. i haven't done group lessons in the past 6 or 7 years, but i have done quite a few private 1-2-2 lessons and learnt more in 2 x 2 hour lessons than in can remember learning in a week of group lessons. usually with a lot of swearing about how the latest instructor has just ripped apart my technique! Very Happy

for a beginner, what about something like 2 or 3 hours in the morning of the first three or so days with a look to booking more if you're struggling?? they then get the afternoon to practise what they learnt in the morning. is that enough to get someone happy with greens and blues??
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, reality, She said she had a disaster with group lessons last year!!!

GrahamN, thank you

Helen Martin, If you fancy coming here to LDA (which I happen to think is a super resort for beginners and nervous people - of course I am biased! Shocked wink ) send me a PM and if timing isn't important I'll try to put you with someone of similar temperament and experience. If you prefer, LDA private lessons are about half the cost of Courcheval and most of the "Brit" schools!!! Very Happy Very Happy

In general any group of more than 6-8 people is a waste of time and money IMO - your instructor can only do that - instruct! he/she cannot TEACH with large numbers. Falling is not necessary for beginners BTW - everyone does it from time to time, but if your whole group are falling all over the place then your instructor is not doing his/her job!!! Skullie
latest report
easiski wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, reality, She said she had a disaster with group lessons last year!!!

Yes, I saw that. I took the view that she had a bad instructor rather than being temperamentally unsuited to group instruction. I've had group lessons where I've learnt nothing, and group lessons where I've made a step change in my skiing ability. The deciding factor was the quality of the instructor, not the mode of delivery Wink
snow report
30 years ago we did group lessons and they were good, they must be as I can still remember some of it Wink

At Champery the instructor I was supposed to get had been double booked so the instructor I got had no fore warning - of what level I was at. My problem was I didnt kow what I was doing and turning left was no problem turning right was a disaster, I had never done carving, I never normally did hockey stops turning right, I was leaning back slightly and not getting the right shape for going downhill.

He even made me try and think Shocked

But I have been blading for 5 days on piste now and can control my speed, get down mountains traversing or carving (0 for style), I have not came close to hitting anyone, and my sharp turning is coming on. Lots to work on next week Shock

I havent been this enthusiastic about sport since I started playing senior ice hockey.....
snow report
I learnt to ski in Champery 2 seasons ago and we went with Freeride and they were excellent. I wouldn't say Champery is particularly great for raw beginners in terms of easy slopes to progress to but we all loved it
snow conditions
Yeah I met the Freeride guys in Mitchells bar - a good bunch
latest report
We're off again for the third time in 3 weeks and 2 days. Unfortunately the guys that we've got to know over the past season or two have left but they all seem pretty chilled. Did you go to La Crevasse with them as well? That place cost me a late start the following morning...urrrggghhh Very Happy

Going back to the original topic, my experience of learning has been that small groups are good to start with and then everyone progresses at hugely varying paces and I've benefited from private lessons that IMHO are more than worth the extra money
snow conditions
I have not stayed overnight up there it is too close to home but one of the guys has cut me a key and I can use his room in a chalet when he is not there - so next week I can find out what it is like

I agree - I had some of the basic off pat quite quick - then 2 hours with an instructor and I was flying

The style side can take all the time it wants to develop
snow report
Fourth shout for Courchevel 1850 & Ski Supreme (Run, I believe, by the mother of the Baxter brothers ?)
I spent many a happy hour tootling down Bellcote & Pralong and lots of lovely blues when you get your legs (I've only done two weeks myself, both in 1850, so am still firmly a beginner)

Eric (Who happened to be French) was great on my first week, as was Evelyn on week two.
Not cheap as FtS said, but it is Courchevel - you know it won't be...
Have a Vin Chaud in Le Bar Jump for me Very Happy
snow report
Wow...

Thank you all so much for your help. This site was recommended by a friend who suggested I may get some good responses. Thanks to you too!!

I am going to look into all the resorts and schools suggested and will let you know how I get on! Please keep the suggestions coming....

Once I have narrowed it down I am sure to return for more advice Laughing

Cheers

Helen
latest report
Helen Martin, One last cheaper and quieter option: La Rosiere and any of the excellent ski school. Never underestimate the value of quiet slopes when one is learning or has kids.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jerry wrote:
Ski Supreme (Run, I believe, by the mother of the Baxter brothers ?)

That's right. Sue Dixon is one of the school directors.
snow report
I wish now I had taken private tuition than doing ski school - despite it being more expensive I am 100% sure I would have learnt more rapidly and enjoyed the whole thing a lot more.

I will be taking some private lessons this year for sure.
snow report
As an entusiastic (but less than brilliant skier) who for the last couple of years has been taking his sons to Austria I would just offer the following observations.

1) If you are on your own in a resort, a couple of days skiing with a group of similar standard is a good way to meet people and maybe make friends.
2) Most Ski Schools will move you up or down the skill scale to a suitable group without a qualm, but you often have to ask them to do so.
3) If you want to progress quickly, spending a little on private instruction is worthwhile, becasue the Instructor will work on your problems, not the groups.
4) Ski schools will generally (at least the ones I have used!) allow you to book a couple of lessons and then upgrade to a full week or whatever if you enjoy it.
5) EVERYBODY falls over sometimes Very Happy

Have fun and make the most of the worlds greatest sport.

PS - If you fancy the Austrian Tyrol I can recommend a couple of nice quiet beginners resorts.
latest report
Try my approach, take the lift up to the highest mountain in tha resort. Put yourself in the fall line, accelarate, keep picking up speed, lean over push with your downhill ski to advoid the small child, reapeat until broken or the piste patrol arrest you. Then move to resort, perfect your skiing, then invite over your old ski buddies and cut their hair whilst putting in a 360. Give up skiing, hate the winter, live for the summer and ride a mountain bike. Grow old and misserable, play boules and drink ricard. Die wingeing about the good old days in a pool of p**s. Twisted Evil
snow report
Can anyone confirm the rumours over the past months of SMALLZOOKEEPER's drink problem? Has there not been a poll of his employees showing that only 13 of 62 support his continued leadership - which has been suppressed with threatened injunctions? Will he have any staff left on Monday?

Shocked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

(Apologies Helen Marin if this diverts your currently remarkably on-track thread into the wide white yonder!)
snow report
GrahamN, My drink problem? You need to meet the Animal Feeding Team, mostly walking from skiing to work to bar and back to skiing again, i would call this evening an indepth study into their minds.
Sorry Helen, hic, i still think this is the best method of learning, it is true up to the 'give up skiing' bit. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, looking over in "Suggestions" it looks like I posted this in the wrong thread! Very Happy (And I'll probably be renewing with a sip or two my friendship with a rather nice bottle of Talisker later this evening).
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, looking over in "Suggestions" it looks like I posted this in the wrong thread! Very Happy (And I'll probably be renewing with a sip or two my friendship with a rather nice bottle of Talisker later this evening).

I can't go back to the IODEINE GUSSET. Redecorated the bathroom once after a heavy session at the Whiskey Soc' in Edingburgh. Mad
ski holidays
My first ski holidays were to Livigno and Niederau ( Unsure on spelling) (Italy and Austria repectively). Many may look down their noses at these kind of resorts due to their limited skiing compared with Val disere, 3V etc. I found the instruction to be of top quality in these places with typically smaller groups than average. Try and find yourself a bargain and then post it on here to see if it suits. Usually you may find smaller resorts offering free lift passes with accomodation saving on the cost. I really liked the tree lined runs in these places making it very picturesque. Have you tried looking at the Ski club of Great Britain website for reviews on each resort. You dont have to even be a member.
snow conditions
Ski Schools in Austria are supposed to be some of the best. I did a week with "Red Devils" in Kitzbuhel - benefits are that the lessons are all day (9:30 - 3:30) and the instructors find great eateries around the mountain and tend to stay with the group at lunchtime too. I would recommend them for certain. ESF in France is hit and miss - sometimes great sometimes the oppostie. Whatever happens - I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy it more the second time - then the third - by the fourth you will be gagging to go more often.....
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, The advantage with having lessons for only part of the day is that you're not paying someone to watch you practise and consolidate what your learned in the lesson. Shock I always worked the whole day thing until I came here and at first I didn't like the part day lesson idea, but now I've come to realise that it has lots of advantages - mostly for the client! Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, I agree on the whole - but for a complete beginner - the though of skiing part day either on your own - or with family (not ideal in most cases) can be daunting. If you are in a resort with some nice easy blues/greens to practice on and get back to bottom easily enough then I see what you are saying.

Steve

PS - If I wanted a private lesson in France (Samoens / Grand Massif) what should I expect to pay?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy