Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st Timer: Need suggestions for either Switzerland or Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I am planning on heading over to the Alps in late February and am looking for suggestions on places to go, preferably Austria or Switzerland. It will be my first time skiing in the Alps (I have visited the Interlaken region during the summer two years ago). We'll be there for about a week.

I am heading over with my brother-in-law. We are old timers (late 40s early 50s) and are excellent skiers. We don't need any night life: just a hot tub to soak in after a full day of skiing, decent food with some good beer, and comfortable beds. Walking distance to the lifts would be preferred. We're not rich, but aren't starving students, either. We're currently thinking either the Arlberg region (St. Anton) in Austria, or Verbier in Switzerland.

What would you recommend for the best experience?
Thanks in advance,
Joe
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JoeMack, we are off to Austria for the first time on Saturday but its an allocation on arrival, still i could let you know if where we end up is any good. Why Switz or Austria? There is some good skiing in France Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JoeMack, Hi Joe welcome to snowHead and the real world! Afraid your biggest challenge maybe locating the 'Hot Tub' !!!

As you are an excellent skier , it is more appropriate for others to respond to your needs - howver if you are looking for CHEAPER alternatives to Verbier if you decide 4 Vallees but with similar skiing I can possibly provide some advice later.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JoeMack, welcome to snowheads, go to St Anton, some good hotels/chalets, don't know about the hot tubs though and some awesome skiing, alternatively come to France for some really awesome skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David@traxvax, Shocked When did La Rosiere change its name wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the kind welcome. The reason I chose Switz. or Austria is because I will likely be adding the skiing on to the end of a business trip and the meetings will be in southern Germany (Stuttgart area).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JoeMack,

Ischgl. South of St Anton.....less boisterous...but St Anton is a fine resort but young and lively
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have a chalet booked with 6 seater hot tub for the end of Feb - but remember that is mid term in Switzerland it is up in Morgins I put an add up for it.

Port du Soleil is about half the cost in my experience of Verbier - although I am just back from Verbier this week, and off to Saas Fee next Saturday.

I just cant remember why I like living here............. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JoeMack, if you'll be in southern Germany then your access to Austria will be easier than Switzerland. Many Austrian hotels have fine spas too, for that relaxing dip.

You could look at a 2-centre trip, for added excitement - how about combining St Anton with Kitzbuhel? In St Anton look at joining the upper classes of the ski school for all-day off-piste skiing with instructors who effectively act as guides - it's an economical way of skiing the back-country.

If you decided to opt for Switzerland, rather than Austria, Zermatt just pips Verbier in my book - you get the fun of skiing into Italy, seeing the Matterhorn, huge vertical and long runs, and a much more interesting village. The off-piste skiing in Verbier is superior, admittedly ... though Zermatt has some superb off-piste scenic glacier tours you can do on skis ... which of course makes Chamonix spring to mind too!

Tough choices. Have a great holiday.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I decided on St. Anton. We'll be there in the early part of March and we're planning on staying at a B&B right next to the Nasserein lift. I can't wait. I'm just hoping Ullr comes through with some good snow. Switzerland (and/or France) will just have to wait 'til next year (I hope!).
Happy skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got back from St. Anton on Saturday after a week skiing. It was excellent. We were pretty lucky with the snow conditions except for Thursday when the new, wet, deep (1/2 meter) snow kept the mountain shut. We also never got to the uppermost parts of Anton due to the Vallugabahn and Schindlerbahn being closed. We enjoyed Rendl and got to ski Hinter Rendl in some excellent conditions. We also did a modified Weiss Ring (bus to Zurs, ski Zurs, then to Zug, next Overlech and down to Lech, finally bus back to St. Anton). It was challenging due to poor visibility, but the maps were good and trail markings are clear. Friday, after most of the mountain was opened, we had some funky conditions with a wind & rain crust. After enjoying the morning at Rendl, we made it over to St. Christoph and got smacked on the breakable crust that was on the pitches beneath the chairlift.

We stayed in Nasserein right next to the base of the Nassereinbahn lift and it was very convenient. We left the car parked all week. Having a heated boot storage and ski storage at the nearby Intersport was perfect. I found the lift tickets reasonably priced and thought the food choices were good and not too expensive. Our favorite restaurant by far was Maximilians, which served Austrian dishes. Make reservations if you plan on going. The only headache was trying to find a table at the on-mountain restaurants for lunch. Definitely go early or late.

We never did find a hot tub, but did check out the Wellness Center after our first day skiing. We were a bit surprised (pleasantly) by the coed lockerroom. The outside whirlpool just wasn't hot enough. I learned about sauna etiquette (make sure your butt and feet are on your towel) and felt refreshed at the end. It was expensive and we didn't believe it was worth it, so we settled for hot showers at our hotel after returning from skiing for the rest of the week.

We enrolled in the advanced ski school class on Monday to get a guide for the off piste. Although the guide took us to Hinter Rendl for the first time and we got a stellar powder run, the rest of the experience left a lot to be desired. It seemed to take forever to finally get set up in the proper group (ski tests) and there were still folks in our group that had to drop out after floundering in the Rendl powder. The lunch ordeal was also a time waster: perhaps if you're in the class for a week, it's a nice opportunity to socialize, but we weren't there for that. Overall, at 55Euro each, we felt it was a rip off.

For a first trip to the Alps, it was a great experience. It dwarfed any of the areas I've skiied in North America, including Blackcomb/Whistler. I'll be back to the Alps, but would like to get to the French and Swiss Alps before returning to St. Anton.

Enjoy the rest of the season.
Regards,
Joe
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JoeMack, glad you enjoyed your trip! snowHead

I guess hot tubs aren't really a European thing...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd suggest checking out some smaller resorts just down the road from St Anton..especially for families.. Serfauss-Fiss-Ladis...fab food, excellent prices, no Brits and lovely pistes for learning on...much sunnier and easier to get onto the slopes than Ischgl...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
JoeMack, I guess hot tubs aren't really a European thing...

indeed, but most hotels in austria and switzerland (3 * and up i guess) should have fairly decent in-house spas with sauna and staemrooms. works much better for me than a hot tub anyway...

i prefer austria, seems to offer better value for £££ than switzerland and people are often much friendlier too... but that's just me... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
icke,
Quote:

seems to offer better value for £££ than switzerland and people are often much friendlier too

I would disagree with that as it depends on where you have stayed regarding value and most if not all Swiss folk i have encountered have been very friendly..
snow report
Switzerland is great value at the moment IMV.

JoeMack, St A is a taster and there are more suitable and certainly bigger domains. St A is popular because the skiing is as tough as you want to make it and the apre-ski is buzzing. I don't overly like the ski bum vibe myself but would go back, no problem. Plenty more choice in the alpes IMV, glad you enjoyed it
snow report
Quote:

St A is a taster and there are more suitable and certainly bigger domains.

JT, If St A is considered an appetizer, what's your suggestion for the entree? We loved the steep and open slopes and the great variety. It amazed me that the pistes would be extremely crowded and icy or mogulled and just a few feet away on the other side of the markers, the snow was soft and there were no folks.

We found the people we met very friendly. Except for one drunk instructor we met in the Fang Bar. Said he hated all Americans. But when I told him I hadn't voted for George Bush he was a bit less hostile.
ski holidays
JoeMack,

World Class resorts by most definitions would be Zermatt, Verbier, Chamonix, Val D I'sere. Other notables would be LDA or ADH and the 3V's.
It now becomes a game of what you really want from the place. In terns of size alone all those above are larger than St A and have a variety of terrain. St A has great apre and off-piste and has a whole host of fans for various reasons and would be in most people top 5 in europe, I'm just saying there are others that are well worth seeing.

Chamonix has awesome awesome high mountain terrain, leave the piste alone here and get guided.
Zermatt has stunning views and helicopters and swiss charm
Val D I'sere has huge terrain and motorway cruising. Its OP potential is via a guide and you could spend all week there and not even touch it..or know it was there.

Verbier is fun and off-piste, again you'll need someone to show you.

LDA has Le Grave as an off-piste mecca and guide only on top of a big network of runs on the main hill.

The true value of a lot of alpine resorts is not what you can see on the piste map, its what you can do off it. The only limit to where you can go is limited by who can/will take you there. 2000m - 6000ft plus drops are not too unusual for a day out over the side of these type of resorts.

Post you citeria for your next trip and see what snowHead can throw up for you... Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy