Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste practice inside?

Poster: A snowHead
I was just reading Geoffjb72's thread on off piste tuition, but I didn't want to hijack it!

Dave of the Marmottes mentioned things to practice at the fridge maybe at the local dry ski slope, that would be beneficial for off piste technique. What would they be then? I'm assuming balance and two footedness drills. Any suggestions. This whole summer thing is giving me itchy feet!

Cheers

PJ
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kick turns, or skinning perhaps ? Isn't any other drill/practice equally valid on or off piste Puzzled

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 31-05-15 23:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You gotta get to the dome early when they've just made the new powder, then you can shred conditions like this

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@eversolazy,

A pretty good one is hop turns, very useful for steeper pitches. One style is making both skis leave the snow at roughly the same time with both tip and tails in the air.

Also a similar one, is still like a hop turn but only having the tails of the skis leave the snow, but keep the tips in contact all the time. (not sure of the official term?)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@eversolazy, We run day clinics indoors and one of the days is skills for offsite skiing, balance is worked on plus pressure control and a few other things. Lots you can do on artificial slopes to improve...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
@eversolazy, We run day clinics indoors and one of the days is skills for offsite skiing, balance is worked on plus pressure control and a few other things. Lots you can do on artificial slopes to improve...

That was basically my point. Off piste skiing is just skiing so any skills translate. Plus snow domes chop up into some really heavy funk later in the day to the extent that lazy piste skiing gets really shows up. Ski fall line runs down the edge for instance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Plus snow domes chop up into some really heavy funk later in the day

Thats why they call him Skibootsy Collins...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I believe Nile Rodgers had plenty of experience of chopping stuff up....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, excellent, a joke I'm too young to understand. That hasn't happened for a while.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any improvement in technically correct skiing will improve your off-piste skiing. You can practice technically correct skiing on any slope - but you do need to know what you are doing is technically correct: otherwise you just become proficient at doing the wrong thing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@eversolazy,

Do you skate? If not, why not? Skate or learn to if there is a rink near your home, in your town wherever that may be. Few if any of you have no idea as to how manifoldy beneficial ice skating is, unto itself and skiing.

ps: Good on you Brits for NOT putting Red Ed into power.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@equinoxranch, do you find it similar? I'm struggling to enjoy skating. I go every so often but I really can't get the rhythm. And I fall harder these days!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's the only proper way to learn to ski off-piste Smile
http://www.nosiesta.com/#!off-piste-for-mountaineers/y8sy4

Enjoy
Francis
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eversolazy, Skiing is skiing -- on or offpiste --- so practice in a dome or dryslope --- just working on your technique...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@eversolazy, Skiing is skiing -- on or offpiste --- so practice in a dome or dryslope --- just working on your technique...

ahhh no it ain't mate....
snow report
Quote:

Also a similar one, is still like a hop turn but only having the tails of the skis leave the snow, but keep the tips in contact all the time. (not sure of the official term?)

Aren't these called "short swings"?
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/ZtVZBPR0rso&index=4&list=PLrqtph4KNo5eIetJ-Pk8iB9985ItVu5W8

spent last sunday at the chill factor working through this Very Happy
snow conditions
A long lived thread.

I'd say just sound basic technique is what you want. Indoors (or dry slopes) are like gyms, so you can easily practice improved technique there. The issue with powder/ back country snow is that it shows up poor technique. If you have good technique (eg your average FIS racer) then you won't find much of an issue using riding in powder. It's just the people who "cheat" and get away with it on piste who have problems, I suspect. I have seen skiers who have done nothing other than plastic transition immediately to deep powder. They were racers, they were clearly good, but my point is that if you learn good basic technique (probably not what instructors teach) then you'll be fine anyway.

Quote:
A pretty good one is hop turns, very useful for steeper pitches. One style is making both skis leave the snow at roughly the same time with both tip and tails in the air.

I guess it depends what you like to ride. Personally I'm after powder, and that's simply not possible as there's no base down there to "hop" off. If you're riding icy stuff I suppose you could do that, but I'd not ride there. Breakable crust... well with modern gear I believe skiers ride it the same way I ride it on my board (favour the back of the board so you don't perl, but let those decambered noses do the work).
snow report
Quote:

if you learn good basic technique (probably not what instructors teach)

Not sure what you are getting at, instructors teach bad basic technique ?? or you need to do race training to get good technique?
latest report
I've been practicing the jump turns from the above video. I'm finding it hard to imagine them in powder but they are fun to do.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy