Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off-Piste Tuition: Arlberg, Zinal or Disentis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Looking to start my off-piste career next season (5-day, all day course) and after copious research on Snowheads threads have shortlisted down to three resort options based upon my key criteria of; likelihood of good snowfall, lack of crowds and abundance of beginner off-piste terrain.

1. Lech/Zurs: whenever I've been it's always been dumping it down. I've also read that it's somewhat quieter off-piste than in St Anton. Plus the link to Warth now opens up more freeride terrain.

2. Zinal: never been but there appears to be huge amounts of freeride terrain and lack of crowds. No idea how well it stacks up against Arlberg in terms of snowfall.

3. Disentis: as per Zinal.

I would really appreciate any advice on which of the three would be your choice and why?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you taking instruction?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I would like to join a 5-day group off-piste course or potentially take a private mountain guide for 4-days with a heli-ski day suited to beginners bolted on if I've made good progress. I've been trying to self-teach off piste for 4 years but just not making progress.

Thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What size are your skis? When did you last have an on piste lesson? There may be stuff you can do over summer in a snowdome etc to improve.

I'd forget about heli.

Beyond that Warth/Lech is probably a good choice. Zinal also good but terrain is probably less mellow.

Personally in your position I'd pick the right sort of course for me - snoworks, Warren Smith etc before worrying about resort.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agreed. Choose tuition first. Then the resort. If good quality tuition, they will bring you to great terrain in any resort. On the other hand, the best terrain in the world is no good to you as beginner if no one to bring you out there.

Quiet resorts have huge advantage that good (and safe) snow doesn't get tracked too quickly, but while you should find guides there (if you book in advance) you may not get tuition you are looking for.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven't had tuition since I began skiing 14-years ago. As for skis, I bought a pair of Line Sir Francis Bacon's two seasons ago which smash through the slope side powder I've been dabbling in.

Great advice on letting the quality of the tuition dictate things. With Zinal I'd be sorted as Mountain Tracks do a 5-dayoff-piste intro and in Disentis there's an outfit called Alpventura who offer the same type of course. Lech doesn't seem to have an equivalent outside of the Ski School. There is Piste to Powder of course but they are St Anton based and I'd rather not be knocking elbows on Rendl when there's been a dump in Lech.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can vouch for mountaintracks. good guides and company is well run. think peanuthead may have used them. I have referred mates to them in zinaL and Ste Foy and all were happy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Geoffjb72, i don't know either of the Austrian areas, but Disentis, while charming, having a lot of accessible o.p. I think, is tiny and not itself easily accessible.

If it was me, I think you'd be better with Warren Smith or Phil Smith's outfits. You really don't need mega acres of terrain at this stage.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I have done mountaintracks in Zinal. You can't go wrong.

I guess it's settled then?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm sure i'd have a blast with any of the above, although the slight issue with both Mr Smith's is that it boils down to Verbier or Espace Killy, neither of which really meet the requirement for lack of crowds.

At the minute, Lech/Warth is marginally ahead just because i'm sure the AlpinCenter can hook me up with some good tuition and the snow is just so damn reliable. I'm still scarred from a week in near summer conditions in Morzine at the end of Jan.

The Mountain Tracks course is a very close second though and i've had a big +1 for Zinal from a Swiss pal who skis not all that far away in La Tzoumaz. He said that Zinal now has quite a big freeride area that is avi controlled and good for practice.

My ultimate goal is to ski tour under the midnight sun up in Lyngen or Svalbard within the next 3-4 years so I should have the time to do all three trips/courses before i've (hopefully) got the skills and experience to handle that.

My sincere thanks to one and all for your input.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Geoffjb72, i still think your dislike of crowds is a little unfounded. Just my 10p. I've skied with guides off Val d'Isere at new year and been completely away from anyone, without any hiking.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zinal is in the Valais/Wallis Inneralpine region, which means dry climate due to surrounding high mountains on all sides, thus more sun than snow.
(Same goed for big names like Zermatt and Verbier)
Warth is considered the spot with highest average snowfall per season in The Alps, 11 meters. It is in the northern pre-alpine zone, the first spot the mountains block the clouds coming from North Sea/Atlantic, keeping on emptying the white gold.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mountain Tracks' Nick Parks liked the Anniviers so much (Grimentz/Zinal/St Luc/Chandolin/Vercorin), he moved there. There is plenty of offpiste for all levels. The pitches range from the sublime to the utterly bonkers.

As for it being dry and getting more sun than snow... only been skiing there for the last 10 years, perhaps I've missed out on the dry, snow free bits snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Geoffjb72, is this a trip solely for learning off piste? As in, will you have a chance for some "ordinary" skiing? I'm asking because off-piste can feel very alien at first and you won't be all that good (compared with your usual skiing) so it can be a bit frustrating too. So it might be an idea to have a shorter course so that you can have some time on-piste regaining your confidence.

And I agree with under a new name, I've had quite a lot of off-piste tuition in Val and I rarely find it very busy. It's been the same in other places too. Off piste is not the mass market, must do sport that the magasines and websites make it out to be and those that do ski it aren't there all day every day. There's lots of fun to be had in parks and on piste too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowbunny wrote:
Mountain Tracks' Nick Parks liked the Anniviers so much (Grimentz/Zinal/St Luc/Chandolin/Vercorin), he moved there.
Way I heard it he forgot his map and thought he was moving to Italy.
snow report
I did the mountain tracks course in Zinal last year and would wholeheartedly recommend. Also very easy to get to on public transport, and if you are staying in the chalet they run there the food is fab! Instructor Dave found us fresh tracks in the middle of a snow drought even on the last day...
latest report
@Geoffjb72,

I know that you specified Lech/Zurs but Piste To Powder in St Anton are really excellent. They have different levels of group. You could well venture into Lech/Zurs/Warth. I have seen virtually no other freeriders when I have had guiding with them. There are some very good guiding and teaching operations in other resorts too. I hope this is of some help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy