Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's biggest new cablecar project is launched ... after 3 years construction

Poster: A snowHead
The 'Mont Blanc Skyway' [Skyway Monte Bianco] - Courmayeur's new access to the Pointe Helbronner (3462m) and Vallée Blanche - was unveiled to the press yesterday, and appears to be fully operational ...

SKI.HUB + 2 video links: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1637791873174245/

Italian media + photos. La Stampa: http://www.lastampa.it/2015/05/30/edizioni/aosta/lattesa-finita-domani-apre-lo-skyway-monte-bianco-khho5vdkwkCbW7lNns4TWJ/pagina.html

Libero 24x7: http://247.libero.it/rfocus/23204401/1/aperta-nuova-funivia-del-monte-bianco/

Official site: http://www.montebianco.com/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this a new cable car route or an upgrade to an existing one?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you read the web page of the cable car site, it is an upgrade of the existing set up - started in 2012 and now opened this year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah yes, I see, thanks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pdsmark, @Samerberg Sue, It's both, it runs paralel to the existing lift line for most of the route. But is 2 stages not 3 (the old 3rd stage was only a few 100m and was the size of a telphone booth). The new base station is not in the same place as the old one, its over a km away and much more convinient.
The lovely old cafe at the bse of the old lift is now permenently closed. But Loisa now runs the bar at the new top station, so good coffee is still available.

The lift over form the Aiguille du Midi is now open for the summer.

Thw whole lot opened very quietly on saturday

View form the top

And inside the mountain

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dammed facebook won't let me link the pics...or is it me doing something wrong
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @Idris.

Does this mean that there are two lifts up to the Aiguille Du Midi, one from the French side and one from the Italian?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pdsmark, not to the AdM no, but to routes down the VB yes (but there always was, using the old lifts the above replaces).

The Italian side also offers the opportunity to ski back down to Courmayeur, but then the French side does too (back to Chx that is) but from the top only for those of @Idris levels of skill (I can manage the Plan return at least).

Actually, that's in the winter, if you mean in the summer then a simpler answer would be yes (if you use the Hellbronner link gondola/cable car thingy).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great pictures @Idris, I love ski lift engineering, find the physics of it fascinating.

@midgetbiker, thanks for that info.

This thread just makes me what to spend more time in the Alps. Oh well, back to work . . . . Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been watching them build this for three winters, the tower cranes at the Torino hut were astounding. I'm a little concerned as to where all the new visitors will be going. I guess many will not leave the top station, but in the winter, if lots more start to ski from there it might mean many more on the VB and more worryingly more on the Helebronner.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Idris wrote:
The new base station is not in the same place as the old one, its over a km away and much more convinient.

...unless you are skiing storm laps from the Pavillion down or skiing Marbrées etc, in which case it will be a long walk to the new bottom station!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
About €15 pp cheaper than the AdM Cable Car too but its still a big spend if it is for a family.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bumping this thread.... having not found much about the Skyway Montebianco. I've been up the AdM but my daughter, with whom I'm in Aosta next week, hasn't, and if we had a sunny day it would be a good outing. Some comments seem to suggest the cost is included in the Aosta ski pass - is that so? Seems a bit too good to be true. We'd be going up in the lift in order to come down again in it, needless to say.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, it is included in Aosta Valley ski pass.

Choose your day wisely, it is actually two cable cars with change at the midstation. Both terminals offer great views and plenty of worthwhile content to learn more about the flora and fauna of the region as well as nice lunch opportunity.

It is easy to ski half day at Courmayeur and spent another half at Skyway Montebianco
If driving - park your car at the base of Val Veny cable car and it is just a short (5 min walk) to the Skyway terminal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, yes, it's included in the Aosta regional ski pass. There are a few other options however which could save you money on the (rather expensive) regional pass, depending on what else you're doing that week:

- it also counts as one of the "away days" on the cheaper local area ski passes (e.g. the Pila ski pass)
- you can also get a 1-day pass covering just Courmayeur + the Skyway
- Skyway tickets are considerably cheaper if you book a certain number of days in advance (taking a gamble on the weather of course)

For our March 2022 trip we had 9 days in the valley (8 days skiing various ski areas + one on the Skyway), but it still worked out cheaper for us to buy a combination of local passes rather than opt for the regional one. TR here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=159354&start=40#4951550

We thought it was a worthwhile excursion, and also took the lift back down again like you're planning to do.
snow conditions
@denfinella, I have come to the conclusion that you are the fount of THE most knowledge on snowHeads. You are a walking encyclopaedia of all things ski-related, it's quite wondrous. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

it's quite wondrous

It is. @denfinella can produce detailed, named, itineraries in the area I skied in for years. I'd know where to go on the ground, but can never remember all the names!!
ski holidays
That is totally right @pam w, I love reading all the posts and reports by @denfinella, - we never helped anyone else by having our own names for various runs.
snow report
@Hurtle, if it's somewhere other than France or Italy then I'm largely clueless Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

we never helped anyone else by having our own names for various runs.

Ah! Yes, we had "Clive's Nemesis" and the "Kissy Kissy Chair".

@denfinella, It's OK, you can rest on your laurels with just knowing all about France and Italy!
ski holidays
I'm reading all about the great things to do in the Valle D'Aosta. Not sure we're going to have any time to go skiing! We must get up the Skyway Montebianco, but some of the reviews of the Spa in Pré St Didier put me right off that. I'm not a fan of "wellness" places at the best of times and the descriptions of long queues and couples "practically making out" Shocked put me right off. It's forecast to be snowing towards the end of next week. Our Italian hired car has no snow tyres, of course, but "free" (sic) snow chains. We're only going to Aosta, not up the mountain to Pila, but I suspect that if it's snowing in the valley quite a small incline could defeat the tyres. And it'll be dark by the time we get to Aosta.
snow report
@pam w, I'd definitely recommend a trip on the Skyway Montebianco. Hope you will have time to go skiing in Courmayeur too?
ski holidays
@pam w, if the weather is good, yes to the skyway, it’s stunning, if you arrived at 2pm it would give you plenty of time to go up and down with time at the top to see the super sights. BTW the cabins rotate so there’s no need to try and get a good spec, it will come to you !
If you have a day out in Courmayuer use the Dolonne car park ( the lower bit is free, but not the covered one) and gondola, much quieter than the larger one in the centre of town.
La Thuile is also easy to get to from Aosta in 35-40 mins, and after the first 8 hairpins out of Pre St Didier it’s an easy drive up, car park is opposite the Plannibel complex and gondola to the main ski area. I did a trio report last month with more detail on runs and lifts etc.
Have a great trip
snow report
@pam w, have a great trip, indeed. I'm feeling a bit jealous.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy