Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nrthern ski club ?

Poster: A snowHead
My 22 year old son is trying to find a ski club near halifax where he can meet and ski with people his age and ability, as none of his ex uni mates etc ski.. He's been skiing since he was 3 so hes not bad !! Does anybody know of any clubs either in leeds or manchester etc. ???
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@yorkshirelad, Bradford uni had a ski club when I was there, not sure if they still do as the list of clubs changes every year - contact the Sports and Socs office in the Students' Union. Unless the rules have changed, I don't think you have to be a student or alumni, but I'm sure they can confirm that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe there are a couple of race clubs at the Castleford snow dome. I'd also be extremely surprised if there wasn't a ski club at the Halifax dry slope ( assuming it's still there, that's where I went to learn when î was at Bradford university in the early 1990s)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Although I'm not a member, there is a Ski Club of Manchester. I bumped into them last season at the Chill Factor and they were an engaging bunch. I had a brief chat with one of their organisers following a session, very welcoming. They have a website and seem to be active with regular events at The Chill Factor and trips abroad.

I also seem to recall that they had a few members from west, West Yorks which might make the '62 more appealing?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I met a very nice chap on holiday who skied with Lions Ski Club at Castleford. He was pretty handy on skis! Not sure how local that is though…
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lions at Castleford. Have met them on the race circuit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My family and I ski with the Lions at Castleford, we have members from 3 years old to .... not sure they would like me to mention and can cater for all abilities except for absolute beginners. We meet on Sunday mornings and Monday evenings for race group. The club run few trips to the alps throughout the season.
We are generally a friendly bunch who just love skiing.
Have a look at the website http://www.lions-skiclub.org/ if you want any more info.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@yorkshirelad, spyderjon and I used to ski with the Lions at Cas too. rjs on here is a member/intructor/racer with them too. Friendly bunch, and the kids make you realise how poor you really are at skiing!

On a monday evening it used to take me exactly 30 mins to get there from town, so not a mojor headache to get there. You should go too. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers folks, my lads not interested in racing etc, just general messing around on skis followed by a few beers. He thinks he might try the manchester lot, as his only nights he is free are wednesday and thursdays
He used to work at the halifax dry ski slope but the owner does not want any clubs there, as he hates 'cliques" .. We reckon hes missing a trick but each to his own
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not a member of Lions anymore but there used to be a bit of a gap in age of members around early 20s, those that had been members as juniors mostly went away to university.

I get the feeling from their newsletters that the Ski Club of Manchester members are a bit older too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the rossendale dry slope may have a 'social' side to it. The halifax slope is very short and freestyle based. Can't comment on social side of it. I've given up on chill factor.e. I'm also from halifax and the M62 has just got ridiculous in the last year or so. Totally took any pleasure out of going. Was even sat queuing for an hour or more trying to get to the breakfast club 7.30 starts regularly!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We tried to get a Halifax ski club going , but not much interest...just 12 of us meet once a month now for a meal and beer.
I do the breakfast club about twice a month at chill factore... best time for me... never a problem, as i set off at 6am and miss most of the usy traffic...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Whitty, that work they did by putting in the part time hard shoulder and variable speed limits between us and Leeds has sorted out most of the problem now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Takes me an hour if i set off at six
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Although I'm not a member, there is a Ski Club of Manchester. I bumped into them last season at the Chill Factor and they were an engaging bunch. I had a brief chat with one of their organisers following a session, very welcoming. They have a website and seem to be active with regular events at The Chill Factor and trips abroad.

I also seem to recall that they had a few members from west, West Yorks which might make the '62 more appealing?

Quote:

I get the feeling from their newsletters that the Ski Club of Manchester members are a bit older too.

I didn't know there was a Manchester ski club until now! I'd prefer a not-too-old crowd, but for the odd indoor ski and a beer, does it really matter? I might give it a go for this year - the free coaching every so often sounds good, and well worth the small annual fee.
latest report
Could we not just get a regular group of snowheads at CFe ?
ski holidays
@speed098, happy to join in with that - are you volunteering to organise? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@speed098, good man. Sign me up and get on with negotiating a slope discount toot sweet garsun.
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, presume you mean to Castleford? I'm considering going back, just wish they did offers and a breakfast club. Like you say, M62 that way is loads better now. I've been late for the Manchester breakfast club a few times and that's leaving Ripponden at 6.00am! It's just a bloody free for all most of the way then it gets worse at the M6 turn off. Maybe it's me that's just unlucky 😞
snow report
A little further north than those so far, hailing from Teesside; But I would, and already do travel down to Castleford and CFe occasionally.
More than happy to be in the company of fellow snow heads rather than alone!
latest report
@Whitty, yeah, I meant to Cas. The other way is pants at the moment; 50mph for a lot of the way.
snow conditions
If people are interested would be great to get something started as a year round meet be it weekly or even monthly ( anyone interested in bi-daily excluding weekends in the summer wink ).

Travel on the M62 is a nightmare and total lottery with the roadwork's. I am normally no more than 15 min away but have to allow over an hour, sometimes I get their in 15-20 min other times have taken well over 90 min.

I don't go much in winter due to price hike for the monthly and with it being busy would do less hours anyway.

Slope discount at CFe is pretty much a no go, I suggested a split monthly pass for winter so people could buy just a daytime an evening or weekend and possibly a early morning one as well which individually would net them over £100 more than the full monthly and they where not interested.
ski holidays
@speed098, sounds good re. frequency and timings - nice to have something to keep the interest up in summer!

I had a 25min drive last night, but thats for a late evening session, so decent roads. Getting a bit bored of the dome now though - boots are nicely broken in and feeling pretty natural, so I need a real mountain... No December monthly pass for me.

Discounts - I get get a few offers via email from them for booking sessions - e.g. one last week was 40% off lift passes for most of December. Always good to keep an eye out for!

Manchester City Card also gives a 25% discount year round, might be worth it for some people.

(I'll be there this Sunday morning again if anyone is around, but no more for a bit after that - then it's the real stuff Smile )
snow conditions
@fixx,

Just had a look at the city card and no use to me Sad only valid on 1 to 4 hour slope pass and lessons plus other stuff I would not use. Also says only valid till the 30th Nov.

Not sure I could make it Sunday morning as got quite a bit on later that day.

I get the email offers but during the summer I buy the monthly pass, in winter don't bother as can not see value in paying £150 to ski less, and queue more compared with £60 when it is quite.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy