Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big pipes in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right, can someone explain what those big metal pipes sticking out the mountain are under the Pas du lac gondola as you go up to Saulire?

My group came up with ideas ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous....from Avalance control (tho how what would work i dont know!) to Sewage (i hope not!)

I have no doubt they exist in other places, but never noticed them before!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avalanche booming - they set off the snow before any freeriders can. They don't have any on death or meribel couloirs though Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
how do they work then?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, you blow into a tube, squeeze a bag under your arm, and use your fing......oh, sorry.....misread that as Bag pipes in Meribel rolling eyes NehNeh
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomski01 wrote:
how do they work then?

If I remeber correctly gas is piped into them then ignited to create a small explosion which (hopefully) releases the snowpack in the area just below them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They's gazex pipes, I'm guessing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is correct. Normally near the pipes you can see a round dumpy cannister about 2m in diameter which houses the gas. It normally situated just at the top of the mountain above the pipes.

I'm not really a cardigan, honest !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well, there you go, just like a big hairdryer!

thanks, you learn something new everyday!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yea thanks - its quite a technical afternoon what with Poma chairlifts too.

Any plans to tune the pipes? I guess if there were enough of them
they could be sequenced into a crap melody...

(OK its a friday afternoon...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 16-04-04 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they had them in Laax (and they might have) they would literally make a Crap melody.

To link to another thread, Crap is a "rock" or "peak" in the local dialect...don't you just love tying up the loose ends at the end of the week? Not sure teaching the puppy to ski comes into this though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy