Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalung?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Got given an Avalung for Christmas. What's your opinion on them?

Saw a few avalanches last week...

Freestyle
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if it saves your life, it's well worth it. I assume you already have peeps, shovel & probe?

I wear one, just make sure it's outside your jacket and you can easily get your mouth on the mouthpiece (it pulls out and extends)

regards,

greg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't got any of the other stuff - yet. But have realised I do need it.

I've never seen Avalungs worn by anyone else...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you tried http://snowsafe.co.uk they should have everything you're after
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many swiss and italian heleski companies insist on them. Good for you. Can't be too safe. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Please could your rank order the following in terms of priority for purchase?

Helmet
Avalung (even though I already have this)
Tranceiver
Shovel
Probes/Poles
Space Blanket

There's been a lot of heated chairlift debate on this and I'd like some other opinions...I've not been a snowhead long but I've really valued the advice I've received on here...most recently the recommended purchase of the icebreaker thermals...-25 in Flaine over New Year and I was practically tropical...thanks...but now that I'm not going to die of cold...I'm off piste for longer and hungry for the powder so I'm ready to get myself more proper safety kit.

Thanks for your comments...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tough one this, I've only just got a helmet so my list would be

Equal 1st, Transceiver, Shovel & probes (you get a better deal if you get them all in one go - I got mine from http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/ski/packages.htm

Then helmet, avalung and a space blanket is peanuts in comparison so get one of those.

Then the million dollar question is, do the people who ski with you have the peeps, probes etc and do you and they know how to use them.

We got some weird looks digging around in the front garden of our chalet in Morzine in the dark, when most others were inside having a cold one, but one of our parties search time using his peeps reduced from 20 mins to under 2mins.

regards,

greg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freestyle, IMO a transceiver, shovel & probe is more important than an Avalung.

I always wear a helmet/goggles/back protector & have Recco's on my boots. Here's what I carry in my jacket & backpack (I don't have an Avalung):

Transceiver - on person
Shovel
Probe
Space blanket
First Aid kit
Mobile phone with local emergency numbers
Walkie talkie
Bladder pack
Energy bar/chocy
Insurance & E111 cards
Piste map - in jacket pocket
Lift pass - in jacket pocket
Lip salve - in jacket pocket
Sun cream
Mid layer fleece
Spare gloves
Hat
Snood
Spare goggles - low light if I'm wearing my high lights, or vica versa
Inclinometer
Powder traces
Leatherman tool
Whistle, compass & mini maglite on a lanyard
Spare pole basket
Cash & credit card
Ski carry straps for my backpack
Camera
Padlock
Alu oxide/diamond stone
Pen
Shades - ya can't each ya lunch in ya goggles Cool

For off-piste I'd priority rank as equal 1st the transceiver, shovel & probe. BTW, along with my insurance/E111 card, they're the only items that I've never had to use & hopefully I'll never have to.

Edited for typo

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 4-01-06 23:55; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Number one to buy is a space blanket, costs less than a pint, and may well come in very useful.

Second is transceiver pole and probes, after that the helmet, and finally the avalung. A two way radio is useful as well. One of those rucksacs with a big handle and an exploding balloon looks the business, but don't seem to be in common use yet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, I carry about the same as you. Also a spare hat.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, you missed off the shovel, no point finding someone and then spending 2 hours digging them out with your hands/skis and them being dead!!

BTW do you guys take your backpacks off on chairlifts???

regards,

Greg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregh wrote:
BTW do you guys take your backpacks off on chairlifts???

No, I keep my pack on. Although it's a long contents list, when packed right my pack sits pretty flat at about 180mm at it's maximum depth. Unlike others I find it uncomfortable to have my jacket pockets bulging with kit, which is also a good way of loosing something while accessing something else.

I find wearing a pack is a good way to stop getting hit on the back of the legs by the edge of the chairlift seat. As the chair is coming around I just crouch slightly & when the back on the chair hits my backpack I just sit down.

The pack does mean I lean forward a bit on the chair but I just lean on the safety bar.

Mind you I've never been on one of those US lifts that don't have safety bar Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeh I always keep mine on, but a few weeks ago with 3 of us on a lift with packs, I noticed we were all close to the edge of the chair, and it was one with a folding seat, so I started to think it may tip up with too many people on the edge!!

regards

greg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just on a point of info - if any snowHeads are using Facewest for safety gear, or for any other purchases, then make sure to enter the Facewest site from the snowHeads homepage.

Any on-line purchases, by this means generate a commission to snowHeads Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
couldn't resist this Very Happy

ski holidays
gregh,

Great!!!
ski holidays
Does an avalung fit with a pack on as well?
ski holidays
Yep. Avalung goes on first and is flat at the back so your pack goes over the top.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy