Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lifts are great!

Poster: A snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...yes, but what an eyesore!

Good engineering on mountains is achieved with minimum visual impact, IMO
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent site. Anyone know of any similar European ones?
There's a T-bar I used at one resort (I can't remember where but think it's Val d'Isere) who's line and wheel layout I'd love to see in plan as I just couldn't work it out whilst using it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David, True, in fact very true!

I hate the fact that they are there, especially when im undertaking my other love of walking in the summer and get greeted with lots of eerie looking ski lifts, with the chairs dangling ominously...wish someone would invent the teleporter!

They are (unfortunately) essential for a decent ski holiday.

Still think they are fascinating tho!!!

PS Here is the eurpoean site http://www.poma.net/

and doppelmayr http://www.doppelmayr.com/engl/dm_get/index_e.html
(cool page on avalanche rockets!)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 16-04-04 12:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wait until you are half way up and the mechanism malfunctions. Embarassed The snow may be travelling horizontally in a blizzard condition. There is no plastic bubble shield nor a footstep to rest your skis. Your are losing feeling in your fingers and toes. Even if you are not hungry and have plenty of clothing on you may still need to contemplate the emergency of depressurise your bladder by pissing down the skiers passing below you. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In Tignes last Dec, I was sitting at breakfast (late!) and noticed the Palafour (?) lift stop. And remain stopped for 35 minutes. Now that chair must be a good 10 minute ride and it was a freezing morning with driving snow. Those poor people near the top would have been there nearly 3 quarters of an hour - as would everyone else by the time it all got going again and they could also get off. We went up the lift after breakfast (took the one on the left, not the suspect right) and it was still ffreezing Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dealing with structural matters for a living I always look at the suspension, fixings, size and condition of the chairlift on which my life depends.

The design is generally neat but not enough to drop my jaws. I am partcularly interested in the support columns because there has been one report of a reinforced concrete pillar collapsed under load. When the design was revealed even a graduate would know it wasn't safe. A supporting structure can also fail if its foundation has been eroded.

In general the steel components of the chairlifts are pretty robust and the main cables are amply overdesigned. Modern chairlifts supporting infrastructures are also well protected by the good engineering practice and design codes. I have never had a worry of my safety. Don't want to sound an alarm but most of the time our lives hinge on a couple of bolts!

The chairlifts will have to design to withstand a certain wind speed but they would be shut down well before the design limit is reached, which will still have the appropriate safety factors on materials and loading discrepancy.

The unsatisfactory aspect of a chairlift system to me is the drive unit. Unlike steel beams and tubes which can have an increase in safety factor by adding thickness or enlarging the dimension, electric motors are not easy to over-design to improve its service life. No doubt it is in the resort owner's owner to maintain his equipment but the fail safe approach is to have a redundancy, i.e. fit two motors and let the second one takes over when the first one breaks down. This may add considerable cost to our ski pass. Until that happen, we have to be anticipate occasional stoppages in the mid air.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With regards to eroding, I was told that in Italy a lift must be replaced every 20 years, by law - that's all of it, supports, and all. That may only apply to Cable cars, but I don't think so. I only know of the main cable car at Courmayeur being replaced purely for this reason, but other lifts would probably be upgraded at the same time so it's hardr to know with them.

The 20 bit may be wrong but it's of that sort of order.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the most impressive lift that I have ever seen is the Olympic Gondola in Val d'Isere. The most impressive thing about it is that it runs on cable car tracks, but goes on a continuous detacheable loop like a gondola. Every time that I see it I try and work out exactly how it does it. I guess that makes me a cable car geek as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have serious doubts that the Italians are legally bound to replace lifts every 20yrs. Or maybe they are, but being in Italy they just ignore the law! There are certainly some very dodgy old cable cars in Cervinia and Courmayeur for example. My favourite cable car is the one out of Samnaun at the back of the Ischgl system - it's big, glossy, new, over-engineered, and double deckered!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have to 'fess up' and say that I really don't like these big 100 Plus 'cattle waggons'. There is no logic in thinking that they are less safe than a small cable car, but I breath a sigh of relief everytime I get off - I actually take a longer route to avoid them if I can. What a wimp Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frankly, I've never wondered how any of them work. I just hope they do! And I like the ones you can sit down in (on?).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lorraine Agass, try the new-style "open" cable car to avoid that claustrophobic feeling Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anybody fond of the coffee cup lift in Val Thoren/Les Menuires?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plake wrote:
I have serious doubts that the Italians are legally bound to replace lifts every 20yrs. Or maybe they are, but being in Italy they just ignore the law! There are certainly some very dodgy old cable cars in Cervinia and Courmayeur for example. My favourite cable car is the one out of Samnaun at the back of the Ischgl system - it's big, glossy, new, over-engineered, and double deckered!

They may look dodgy and old, but they're probably about 18 years old. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
What about the 'yogurt pots' in Flaine ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy