Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any skiing in Europe at this time of year?

Poster: A snowHead
I don't even know if SH is 'alive' at this time of year, but here goes...

I have rashly decided to "do something" this half term with the Offspring. It's horrifically last minute, everything's gone, the Other Half has Views on sensible things like camping so I'm scratching my head a bit.

Now, I was wondering if there was anywhere in Europe super-high which may have a bit of snow/ice/slush left where the Boy and I could to a snowboarding course? As a skier, I figure the slopes will be less of an issue since I will mainly be on my backside. Geography isn't my strong point though, and the Google seems to show most "summer skiing" is just that - starting in June.

Is there anywhere "open" for beginners' snowboarding at the end of may please?

Many TIA!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Passo Stelvio (Bormio Italy) opens on the 30th may. Maybe sooner if weather permits.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Isn't Zermatt open straight through.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been to Hintertux for half term several times but I wouldn't describe it as very good for beginners. There were suggestions in another thread on which Austrian glaciers were better.

There is also a recent thread on summer skiing in Norway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you All!

Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Much info here:

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/gletscher/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Wobbler, Stubai has suitable terrain as well as a ski school operating that could deal with beginners. They are open until mid-July-ish, and they probably just received a topping up as the last 2 days were very cold and wet here in the mountains. I know some of the places a wee bit higher than my place got sleet and snow, while we just had nearly 48 hours non-stop rain (ranging from the Scottish mist/drizzle type to monsoon-like downpours.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great stuff - many thanks! Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Today was a kayak day, but I'll be at Stubai tomorrow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowheads is usually a mine of useful information. But this question is where they always dismally fail. There is only one worthwhile answer to your questions:

Riksgransen

That is all
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vastly overrated IMHO
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mates today scored 30cm of fresh
https://www.strava.com/activities/305709204
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stryn, zermatt, engelberg, ben nevis, snodome, dryslope....

otherwise google cave skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been at Stubai the last two days. On-piste conditions are good, and there's definitely enough suitable terrain for beginner boarders.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hintertux is the best place for snow - heading there in July! Have a lovely time Smile
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Snowheads is usually a mine of useful information. But this question is where they always dismally fail. There is only one worthwhile answer to your questions:

Riksgransen

That is all

I'm inclinined to agree but I have been there at this time of year when it had been a trifle warm and the conditions were only so so. Its not exactly extensive unless you get off your backside and onto the back side or are advanced enough to enjoy the heli-skiing . It is a hell of an adventure getting there if you take the train from Stockholm (18 hours).

Mike Pow wrote:
Vastly overrated IMHO

High altitude areas in the Alps aren't exactly extensive either, or that reliable as cloud can build by late morning making for hideous skiing.

Riksgransen means one thing in particular...midnight skiing. It is awesome watching the sun briefly dip behind the peaks to the North from the top of the lift system.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
Isn't Zermatt open straight through.

Yes it is.

There really are two "seasons" though. At present the chairlift up to Furggsattel from Trockener Steg is open. It will be until the end of June. You ski down from there back to Trockener Steg. I really like that stretch. However it is only glacier for about two thirds of the way - hence it having to close for the high summer.

After June the area slightly higher is still open. That is served by drags lifts.

I love summer skiing out there (won't be back until July sadly). However I wouldn't head out from the UK just to do it. It really needs to be part of a walking or cycling holiday (or something) in my opinion.
latest report
What would be the best way to get to Riksgransen? They have a rather tempting package over the midsummer - but flights are coming out ludicrously expensive...
ski holidays
In Chamonix we have 2 seasons in terms of skiing

Lift served piste skiing during the "normal" ski season

and Lift accesed skiing the rest of the year - with a bit of effort it is possible to ski here ANY day of the year.

I hoping to shake my current bout of flu by the time the weather clears and get some pow turns - snowline currnetly at 1700m and dropping.
latest report
Looks like non-glacier touring will be resuming in much of Tirol this weekend..
latest report
@clarky999, looks like you might even get some tree skiing too, looking at the Ischgl webcams Smile
snow report
LukeRibs wrote:
What would be the best way to get to Riksgransen? They have a rather tempting package over the midsummer - but flights are coming out ludicrously expensive...

I flew to stockholm on SAS then took the train from there to Riksgransen - there is a short connection train from the airport to Uppsala. The all in price was pretty reasonable buts not easyjet to Gneva money, and if you fly SAS and they are late for the prebooked train they will sort you out. SAS are also very good for ski gear. When I went it was about 30 quid both ways and that included the boot bag as well and there was no need to prebook on a full moon to get the price. You could just pay at the airport.

Alternatively, as the train runs from Malmo you might consider flying to Copenhagen and catching a train to Malmo from there.
Flights to Nothern Norway or Sweden are seldom less than ludicrously expensive.

Beware, check that Riksgransen isn't just open for a few days at midsummer. They certainly used to open only for a weekend or midweek slot for the midnight sunners. It is a long way to go for three days skiing but I would do it again.
latest report
Went to Riksgränsen midsummer 2015. It's more for the whole experience than for the skiing, as they only open 2 lifts, but there was 1 meter of snow on the piste although it was pretty slushy. Lift opens 10pm on the Thursday evening and you can ski through to 2am. It then opens 9-4pm Fri, sat, sun. Amazing place though and will go back in march or April one year.
snow report
Was also up skiing Riksgränsen at the same time. Though only skied the lifts during the night they were open. Snow was pretty good then. Mostly toured which was a surreal experience as we left at 3am on 2 of the days and it was so light. Snow was great higher up, but as the day went on it got very slushy.

Am glad to have done it, and would certainly go back, but maybe 6 weeks earlier. Managed to get some cheap flights from Edinburgh to Kiruna via Stockholm, as well as some pretty cheap accommodation that was booked in February. Great scope for touring, and even trying a few different smaller resorts if you hire a car.

Certainly recommend it though the locals we spoke to said that the snow this year was pretty exceptional relative to the last few years. Someone mentioned it was the most snow they had had for 20 years. No idea how true that is though.
latest report
Snow on the very tops today on the southern border with Italy - Austria that is Smile
latest report
Kind of a lot of snow in Zillertal today. I am not sure how to attach the photo hear, but yath it looks fabulous.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy