Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Say hello to the Lily camera...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
andy wrote:

20mins is about the limit for batteries in normal temperatures. Not sure how LiPo works in sub-zero? ......

They generate heat up when operating. The problem is that cold storage can affect in-flight duration - presumably because it takes time for the heat build-up. That can be overcome by using a heater bag to keep the batteries in before use (in the winter I run mine from a leisure lead-acid battery). All that said, I don't thnk I have ever operated LiPos much below 5°C ambient.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One counter solution I've noticed is in Verbier - there's a snowpark in the Savoleyres section which is pretty good for intermediates and last season, they positioned a professional certified drone operator there who would film you if you wanted. That way, you'd get decent quality shots on a very flattering set of snowpark bumps and jumps. I own a drone and filming at altitude really needs a powerful machine because of the thin air and the temperatures also means the batteries don't last. The Verbier drone is a pro hexacopter (something which needs a pro operator). Taking up even a £1000 drone for what would be only 5-10 minutes max of filming doesn't seem worth the hassle, whereas it was obvious the 'official' Verbier drone could run for much longer. Hopefully the downsides of filming at altitude using commodity drones are so great that if resorts did offer pro filming, it'll be a deterrent and people would just pay their £35 for 20 minutes of film if they were that keen ....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting update - thanks.

DDoS: I think you meant Denial of Service. It may be spread spectrum, but you don't need to be distributed to attack it. These things are a fantasy though (government aside). People used to fantasize about jamming mobile phone systems (actually not that hard), but they just got used to them.

I looked at those listed products a few weeks ago and they're not quite ready yet I'd say.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can get a 2.4GHz transmitter with enough power and bandwidth, then yes it probably won't need to be distributed.
Having watched a world record attempt to have the most RC aircraft/drones airborne simultaneously at an event, then the "distributedness" would indeed need to be quite insane. 175 standard RC controllers plus heaven only knows how much other 2.4Ghz, all in close proximity, is not enough to do a distributed denial of service of an RC plane/drone.
The cheap consumer ones are typically unsecured wifi, so you can man-in-the-middle (or force disconnect, etc.) them faster than you could turn on that number of standard transmitters anyway Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philwig, I'm fairly sure there was a case of someone being procescuted for using a mobile phone jammer on a bus, so that he could have a quiet journey. I know that cinemas would love to install signal jammer to allow films to be watched uninterrupted, but they are not allowed to for civil liberty reasons.

In terms of drones, I've a seen a video of a bird of pray trained to bring them down, and also commercial drone with a net to capture smaller drones. I think they both related to security/public safety rather than mountain use.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Say goodbye to Lily:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38595473
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent news Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alas poor Lily, the little drone that never was

your rotors spin no more
the batteries flat
be sure of that
the skies you shall not soar
The promise of being ski-movie stars
had set the net a-quiver
but now like you, those dreams in two
are going undelivered
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Time for a thread title change? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As it says, other drones have follow me capability. Wouldn't like to imagine their use over highly irregular terrain though.

No parallels with the guy spinning a phone round on fishing line?!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meanwhile, in other news:

Chinese drone maker DJI has bought a majority shareholding in Swedish high-end camera maker Hasselblad:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/2691809755/dji-reportedly-acquires-hasselblad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just got a wingsland S6 to review. All of the fancy, follow me type things it is supposed to do it does, just not very well.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy