Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions please for short break in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hello - hoping the collective knowledge of this site may give me some ideas!

We're a group of 8 looking for a long weekend destination that's not too far from Munich. We're all travelling from Manchester to Munich (as the Lufthansa flight times etc. are so good). Most of us will stay for 4 days - one of the group can only stay for 2 hence the short(er) transfer and ability to get on a transfer bus having had a decent day on the slopes are important.

We're a mix of boarders and skiers and most of us are competent on most slopes (some less so) hence we want somewhere with variety and plenty of slopes / lifts. The apres-ski is a consideration too (hence a sleepy village with one bar won't cut it).

This year we did Mayrhofen which was great and ticked all the boxes. Saalbach has been mentioned (which I've done before and liked) but I know it's a good hour further than Mayrhofen which makes the return journey for the early leaver a little trickier.

I was looking at Zell am Ziller but not sure it's got much in the way of apres (I've skied Gerlos so I know the slopes are good). Where can anyone suggest for ticking these boxes:

- reliable snow (we're going early Feb)
- big ski area
- ideally <2hrs from Munich
- some nighlife

Thanks in advance...!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach much better than Zell for nightlife. It's only 20 mins or so away from Zell so not much of an issue. Think it took us 2.5 hours from Munich to Zell a couple of years ago
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boabski, Wrong Zell!

Zell am Ziller is close to Mayrhofen, but the slopes are less convenient to get to and the nightlife quieter, so if going to that part of Austria, I'd stick with Mayrhofen.

The Zell that is 20 minutes from Saalbach is Zell am See.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doh Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If transfer time is important Soll is only about 90 mins from Munich, Flachau is about 2hrs, Saalbach about 2.5hrs. Whilst not being as lively as Saalbach both Soll and Flachau have decent après.

Soll is part of Skiwelt so has 200ish km. Not sure about Flachau but now it is fully linked to Wagrain it is a decent size, plus bus rides to other areas only take minutes if you feel you need them (included on lift pass).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@hammerite, Flachau is about 2.5 hours from the airport, but it is motorway door to door. However while 2.5 hours is doable mid-week, on Saturdays it can be much longer and if anyone is returning on a Sunday evening you have to contend with all the day-trippers and weekenders travelling home. The skiing is interlinked from Zauchensee across to Alpendorf, so plenty more than enough for 4 days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Samerberg Sue, ah ok, I've only driven from Salzburg to Flachau and just googled the travel time from Munich.

If you stay in Flachau wouldn't you need to get the bus to Flachauwinkl to ski linked to Zauchensee?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hammerite, yes you would, and the bus also stops at the Highport lift on the flachauwinkl side of Zauchensee
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hammerite, if they get the money and the permits all in a line, there will eventually be a lift from Flachau to the top of the Highliner gondola lift - 7.5 kms long, the plans are out there but whether it will ever actually built remains to be seen. The current buses are great - you step out of your skis at the bottom of the slopes at Flachau, step on to a bus which drops you at either the Flachauwinkel side or the Highport side which brings you directly into the Zauchensee system.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 15-05-15 5:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Samerberg Sue, The bus to flachauwinkl and Zauch is the Post Bus on the main st isn't it (we always pick it up at the bottom of our st as it comes from Altenmarkt)? I know you can get a bus to altenmarkt at the bottom of the slopes then pick up the bus to got to the arena at Zauch, or the village shuttle to the bus stops on the main st
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, saw both the Postbus and the red ones carrying Flachauwinkel destinations on their front loads of times in the Unterberggasse last season. That means that they were picking up/dropping off at the Achter at least.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Samerberg Sue, I've been on the postbus in both directions and never come off the main street. The bus stop I use is called unterberggasse but it is not on interberggasse. I'll have to look at the timetable
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Several times I was held up by buses driving past the exit from your apartment block by both sets of buses driving in and out of the car park area opposite. but maybe the Postbus ones were just turning around, I've no idea as I never have to use them!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the comments, folks - seems that Saalbach remains top of the list (despite the longer journey time). The new link to Fieberbrunn looks as though it will open this winter, too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bit of a thread highjack but
Quote:

if they get the money and the permits all in a line, there will eventually be a lift from Flachau to the top of the Highliner gondola lift - 7.5 kms long, the plans are out there but whether it will ever actually built remains to be seen.

Done and dusted! Concrete going in this summer!... well that's what I 'erd anway!
snow report
@flangesax, I actually don't think it is a good idea to be honest. It's going to mess up thise nice runs from the top of the Highliner back down to the A10, but Flachauwinkel my end up quieter. And the aspect of the slopes above the Highport mean that the slush will form more quickly in the late season. Sad
latest report
@flangesax, wonder how long it will take to get across? I've found the glink to be no quicker than the bus if you just miss one in the main season

And do we know where from in Flachau?
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, I think it is from somewhere near the top of the Achter to the top of the Highliner 1. so you will end up with a similar bottle-neck at the Highliner 2 Chair if they opt for the big cable car option (like the G-Link). Artist's impressions I#ve seen showed both options - gondala (8 or 10 seaters I think they were) and then larger cabins. I think the smaller option is better, but it still a long haul and a couple of the pylons need to be about 100m high I read somewhere. something to do with the safety of crossing the Autobahn as well as taking up the "sag" over 7.5kms! Shocked Shocked
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, think I'll get the bus wink
snow report
@flangesax, can't find any mention of it in any of the lift-geek forums, I remember seeing some stuff about it in the Gastronomie magazine, but I think it is still a long way off because it crosses the A10. They have to do some special risk and evacuation calculations, and there are still quite a lot of objections to it I believe, mainly based on the height of the valley pylons if I remember correctly. The only mention I've seen says it may be ready for 2017 but that's not on any of the official lift sites. Puzzled
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, @holidayloverxx, @flangesax, it's quite an interesting development, I'm sure the link being in place will attract even more guests who do not have transport while in resort (whether this is a good thing or not for locals without a vested interest!). If you have a car though it takes no time anyway so probably much quicker!
latest report
@hammerite, Oh yes...I'll take that Laughing
snow report
actiually, I could see me getting a gondola across in the morning but get the bus back
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy