Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montafon Valley

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I'm looking for any advice on the Montafon; I'm considering it for early January 2016. There's three of us, all good skiers, looking for a change from the big name resorts. Plans so far are to fly into Innsbruck (convenient flights from Bristol) and drive over to Schruns. We were thinking of spending three or four days in the Montafon itself (Silvretta Nova, Golm, Gargellen), a day doing the Skisafari to Galtur, and a day in Brandnertal (purely tempted by the 'Ladies Day' half price lift pass and Prosecco offer). It would be great to hear from anyone who's been- major questions are:

1. How's the drive from Innsbruck? We'd also be open to training it, but looks a bit complicated and we will be with my mother (easily confused in foreign parts).

2. Has anyone done the Skisafari to Galtur? For us the attraction is just getting to ski a day in Galtur rather than the trip. I've heard it costs around 15 euro; do you then pay for a Galtur day pass on top of that? Worth it?

3. We're planning to stay in Schruns and think the Hotel Zimba looks good value. Has anyone stayed here? Walk to lifts OK/pleasant/a hellish trudge?

4. Any info on likely crowds/queues in the week Jan 3rd - 10th?

5. What's the deal with the Skiroutes in the Montafon? Are they patrolled, non-patrolled, basically pistes, or some confusing combination of the above?

Any other thoughts on anything Montafon-connected would be great.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@build_a_rocket, a snowHead called clarky999 lives and works in the Montafon valley so he should be along pretty soon to answer any of your questions. I#ve skied the area, although not for several years now and found getting there by car very easy, even in the snowiests of winters (which it was the last time I was there in 2005/2006). As I live just at the entrance to the Tirol Inntal, driving is always my transport means, so I can't answer your other question about transport.

as for the other questions, clarky999 is the man on the spot who can give you all the answers!

BTW he is a Brit who studied in Scotland, so language is not a problem (most of the time anyway, eh Matt! wink )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @build_a_rocket - I've been to Montafon. The only one of your questions that I can answer is about Schruns as a village. In my opinion it's the prettiest village in the area, and the cable car is within walking distance of the village centre. My overriding impression of Montafon is that the runs were under-graded, but it doesn't sound like that will affect your group.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool, thanks Samerberg_Sue. I am a terribly nervous driver so very reassuring to hear it's an easy trip. Awaiting clarky999 with bated breath!

Undergrading runs isn't a major problem for us, but good to be aware of so we can manage mum appropriately (she refuses to wear glasses to ski and must be shepherded on tricky pistes if the vis is poor)... Cheers Draybs74.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey @build_a_rocket!

Quote:
1. How's the drive from Innsbruck? We'd also be open to training it, but looks a bit complicated and we will be with my mother (easily confused in foreign parts).

I drive from Innsbruck to Montafon and back pretty much every weekend - it's very easy, and takes 1.5-2 hours. Almost all of it is on the motorway - form Innsbruck head towards Bregenz, then turn off when you see the sign for Montafon. Only the last 20 minutes up the valley is on small roads, and even then you're on the valley floor so nothing to worry about. I did the journey 3 or 4 times when it was snowing hard enough to settle on the motorway this winter and it's still no big deal - traffic is generally light so as long as you take it easy there's still nothing to worry about. The Arlberg tunnel should be open again by then so no need to go over the pass.

The train isn't that bad either. 15 min bus (line F) from the airport directly to the train station, then take the train (direction Zurich) to Bludenz where you change onto the Montafon train. Schruns is the last stop so you can't really get lost!

Quote:
2. Has anyone done the Skisafari to Galtur? For us the attraction is just getting to ski a day in Galtur rather than the trip. I've heard it costs around 15 euro; do you then pay for a Galtur day pass on top of that? Worth it?

Sorry, I don't know.

Quote:
3. We're planning to stay in Schruns and think the Hotel Zimba looks good value. Has anyone stayed here? Walk to lifts OK/pleasant/a hellish trudge?

I haven't been in the hotel, but it looks nice from outside. The walk is 5 mins max to the lifts, and shouldn't be a problem. Basically flat too.

Quote:
4. Any info on likely crowds/queues in the week Jan 3rd - 10th?

Montafon is generally very quiet, with no real crowds even at peak times. Other than NYE, January is about as quiet as it gets in ski season.

Quote:
5. What's the deal with the Skiroutes in the Montafon? Are they patrolled, non-patrolled, basically pistes, or some confusing combination of the above?

None of them are patrolled as far as I'm aware, but most are marked - which is the same for pretty much everywhere in Austria. Other than being officially opened/closed, I'm not sure how much actual avalanche control work is done though. If they're open you can treat pretty much all of them as safe, the exception being Nidla, which is the freeride area in Gargellen. It's REALLY REALLY good, but quite complex terrain and it would be totally impractical to properly control all of it. The main run isn't a big deal, but the fun is on the variants, which can get quite spicy. When it's closed stay AWAY, and personally I won't ski there without full avalanche kit (though plenty of idiots do though).

I don't think it's actually an official ski route, but the runs off the Zamangspitz ridge are usually bombed after fresh snow, and get skied very quickly. It's hilarious that the resort offers a guided trip there for €40 like it's a big adventure - it's simple terrain with clear runouts and totally visible from the pistes, and it's where pretty much everyone heads first on a powder day. The hike up to the actual Zamangspitz is a bit more involved (you'll have to use your hands, but it's not hard) and though the face isn't bombed, it's still fairly mellow.

Other things...

Technically you're not allowed to ski in the trees, and apparently you can be fined and maybe prosecuted (there are signs - which keep the snow fresh Very Happy), however the tree skiing around Garfescha is some of the best I've ever come across in Austria. We skied the trees all season long and no-one mentioned it or said a thing - despite blatantly coming out of them right at a lift station, having skied direclty under the chair the whole way. They're more sensitive on the Hochjoch side, mind, but they still don't seem to care that much.

Erm, can't think of much else? My mate just put a video together of some of his best footage of this season though, which is almost exclusively Montafon - and this was a below average snow year. I get two appearances in the yellow jacket/green helmet Laughing Laughing

Austria Deep Days 2014/15 from Sqikunst
https://vimeo.com/127303445

It's a fun place to ski, with relatively little competition for powder.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@build_a_rocket, We were in Montafon hiking for a day last summer and called into Zimba for a drink, looks VERY nice. I'd go for it, its an area on my to-do list. Clarky knows all about the area and of he rates it I'm sure its good! Some frirnds went for new year 2 years ago and said they were disappointed with the age profile of the lift system in places, but in fairness they are used to Arlberg and went there on way home after skiing Arlberg for 8-9 days so felt it was more low-key. In my view that's a good thing, I personally like old-school places. Plus its very German speaking, you'd need to speak basic German to be happy IMO.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cracking vid. Those trees look perfect.

How many days per season are they like that please? Ballpark
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike Pow, Probably around 15 days this season (fully fresh I mean). Would have been more, but some storms came in too warm. Snowfall was just below average this season.

They don't need too much to fill in either - we were skiing them from the first big storm at the end of December.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
@Mike Pow, Probably around 15 days this season (fully fresh I mean). Would have been more, but some storms came in too warm. Snowfall was just below average this season.

They don't need too much to fill in either - we were skiing them from the first big storm at the end of December.

Fantastic. Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks clarky999, that's so helpful. I think we're going to book it while easy jet to Innsbruck is still cheapish. Great video too- very jealous of your ski exploits. We'll give the trees in Garfrescha a go if it comes down hard, renegade skiers that we are, but somehow I think we'll be looking a bit less professional. And good to hear about the ski routes. (Is Austria ever going to grow out of this bizarre ski route system?) The Nidla sounds a bit back bottom-puckering and I wasn't planning on packing avalanche kit so I'll give that one a miss.

Good to hear the Zimba looks nice Markymark29. Been looking at the panorama shots of the breakfast buffet, the most important element of any hotel stay, and it looks monstrously good.

One more question, if anyone has info... With the 3 day plus Montafon pass, what areas are actually covered? Just Golm, Gargellen, Silvretta Nova and Hochjoch? The Montafon tourist website seems to be broken which is terribly useful.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy