Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2015/2016 ( May 4th 20cm Snow overnight)

Poster: A snowHead
@saller1, agree with@sah, Maas is great but tbph everything is 100% right now. Visibility was poor today but we still did loads up around Galzig/ Schindler, awesome conditions right now.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr. Green
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is Great.

All the fairy carpet skiers sunny March skiers are going to be Powderd out ,haha
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A bit more on the two Victims of last Fridays two Avalanche's

Bergführer (73yrs) from Schoppernau (Voralberg) and ex head of Warth Ski School. He was leading a group of 5 German Skiers.

Bergführer (71yrs) from Vienna he was leading a group of 3 Dutch Skiers

Quetion. Are the instructors subjected to high pressure from the guests?

The instructors say no. The two casualties were in every respect experienced ski guide, emphasized Lech Mayor Muxel.

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2761083/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Are the instructors subjected to high pressure from the guests?

@stanton, I'm sure not, these were experienced guides and knew where the risks lie and the difference between what's safe and what isn't but I guess they are first-in, in front of their guests and will take the initial hit when it goes wrong. The guide I've mostly skied with has always made us aware of the risks, has refused to do runs we've suggested due to potential risk, and has actually reprimanded our team when we don't follow his instructions to the letter, ie follow me one at a time etc.

Very unfortunate accidents.

Driving home yesterday to UK it was horrendous snow and heavy rain all the way from overnight stop at Dornbirn in Vorarlberg to Calais, if this weather has fallen in the Arlberg as deep powder as was anticipated then the next 2-3 weeks will be epic. We were reflecting on the deep stuff and perfect conditions we skied in in Warth previous week, then St Anton last week, the pistes and off-piste conditions are absolutely stunning right now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Regarding Projekt Dias (Kappl link), I saw this recently:

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/the-arlberg-ski-area-is-about-to-get-a-lot-bigger/

"The Austrian Alpine Club is still hoping to appeal the decision on environmental grounds. If they are unsuccessful, the new connection should be in place by 2019"
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sah, Was speaking to locals last week and they say that there's a growing groundswell against the Kappl link. They are all very pleased with the Flexen go-ahead but Kappl seems to be going backwards Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing a bit on Galzig , think there be some light snow up here this afternoon. Winter Temp -10C !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@sah, Was speaking to locals last week and they say that there's a growing groundswell against the Kappl link. They are all very pleased with the Flexen go-ahead but Kappl seems to be going backwards Very Happy Very Happy

As far as I am aware the Kappl link was approved in a Vienna Court House. but you never know wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, it may have been approved but it's still got to be paid for!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, It is only €45M at todays estimate. Then all this will be lost.

http://youtube.com/v/_9F0H9z0ifU

http://youtube.com/v/A6XSu4BNkzw
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice videos, but the climbing in that first one was very dangerous... they were using regular climbing slings to clip in to the cables, and long ones at that, had they fallen the consequences would have been extremely serious. If you climb sections like that it's fine to clip in to the cables if you use the correct via ferrata lanyards (actually, it's still not a great idea as the cables look more like hand rails than proper via ferrata, but you would probably get away with it with the right gear). Otherwise it's *much* safer to use a climbing rope and climb it like a rock climb.

Anyway, rant over... Yes, that terrain would be changed indeed. The top sections of Mitterkar asnd Hochkar will still require some climbing to access, but Malfontal itself will become a motorway. I wonder if there are plans to put a ski route in down to Pettneu? Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://woutmartens.com/

b]@sah[/b] He knows what he is doing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, I'll take your word for it, perhaps he had a shock absorber connected between the sling and his harness.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, I hope Kappl link never goes ahead
latest report
Quote:
but the climbing in that first one was very dangerous... they were using regular climbing slings to clip in to the cables, and long ones at that

I thought the same at first, but I kept watching and I think they do have screamers. If you look at 1:50 to 1:51 you can see them attached to the sling.

HTH
latest report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:
but the climbing in that first one was very dangerous... they were using regular climbing slings to clip in to the cables, and long ones at that

I thought the same at first, but I kept watching and I think they do have screamers. If you look at 1:50 to 1:51 you can see them attached to the sling.

HTH

Ah, you are more observant than I am Happy I take it back then.
snow report
Got the train today from Innsbruck to meet some friends that are here for the week and it was the first time I ever skied St anton. I must admit I had an amazing days skiing, amazing snow and decent vis. On top of that - great apres 5/hours. Wlll definitely come next season for more than 1 day! Moggles were giant sized at the end of the day but regardless, had fantastic day and will return next season for longer.
ski holidays
I was trying to think what a 'moggle' was, then I realised you meant mogul!! Laughing Laughing
latest report
Sorry about six pints the worse for wear when I described a mogul!!! Must admit though, never seen people so drunk on skis as some those leaving moosewertt at about 6 pm.
ski holidays
@Penzanceopinion, 6pm?

They must be ApresSki virgins . Between 8 -9pm the fun begins Very Happy
snow report
I'd like to trouble you seasonnaires for some info. I'm currently booking our Easter (week beginning 27/03/16) snowboard/ski/telemark trip. I did 5 seasons in St Anton myself in the late 90's/early 2000's and have been back for several holidays since and know Easter conditions can be very touch-and-go. We're planning on staying in Lech (unless we just decide to go to Val Thorens instead!). Any update on current conditions and upcoming weather forecast in Arlberg region much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
latest report
@snow____angel, I'm not a seasonnaire but have just returned and the conditions are excellent, its 2.5 weeks away and i can't see much changing, I'm out for long Easter weekend, wouldn't worry about it - get booked up before you miss out......its going to be busy though, Easter's early and the locals will be there in great numbers.
latest report
Agree with Mark, Easter is so early it's no trouble.

I don't remember every season from the late 90s I missed a few years in the Arlberg around then and maybe you were unlucky, but the Arlberg is usually a good bet for Easter most of the time, I've skied there in April 3 or 4 times and it's been great. The runs from Moos down are often "interesting", but that's not a problem, everything higher up has been fine for me until the lifts close in mid April. I once skied waist deep powder in the last week of the season (I think it was 1994), sadly it mostly turned to cement by 10am when the sun hit it, but Stuben was good Smile
latest report
We are in Lech currently.
Excellent conditions.
Up to 150 cm in the village. Very think on the roofs and along the streets. And it's cold.
Lech vs. Val Thorens? Easy decision.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
We are in Lech currently.
Excellent conditions.
Up to 150 cm in the village. Very think on the roofs and along the streets. And it's cold.
Lech vs. Val Thorens? Easy decision.

In april the north facing runs at 3000m of val tho may have an edge...
ski holidays
Arlberg is no problem in April some of the best Skiing of the year. Late April/May can be even better when the tourists have left & ski touring gets under way Happy Had some of the best POW days in April in der Arlberg.

BTW. Only Yuppy's use the word Seasonaire. SkiBum is the correct term.
snow conditions
No good news for POWhounds. No snow in forecast.

Sunny into the foreseable future with clouds now and again. Higher up there will some Strong winds. Mid next week we may get some very COLD clear nights -22C .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
@stanton, I hope Kappl link never goes ahead

Agreed, but think us non lifties have lost the battle Sad
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/LtG1SXFbQMk
snow report
extremecamp from Martin Unterberger
https://vimeo.com/141148109
snow report
@stanton, 2 great movies, especially like the second one. One the first I'd be keen to know where they exit?
ski holidays
@stanton, @Markymark29, stuff like this shouldn't be on the internet. It might give people the idea that the Arlberg is a good place to go skiing. Everyone knows there's no serious skiing in Austria, it's too low and the snow is no good. People should go to France and Switzerland instead. wink
ski holidays
sah wrote:
@stanton, @Markymark29, stuff like this shouldn't be on the internet. It might give people the idea that the Arlberg is a good place to go skiing. Everyone knows there's no serious skiing in Austria, it's too low and the snow is no good. People should go to France and Switzerland instead. wink

+1 ........ been to the Arlberg lots, can't understand why I keep going back when France is so much nearer. Laughing
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing
snow report
sah wrote:

Indeed, had a horrible day today: the sun was out, hardly a cloud in the sky, pistes practically empty and not a mogul in sight and the off piste still had plenty to go at. So terrible we had to stop for lunch on the terrace, dunno why we bother!
latest report
@Markymark29, which exit the watering hole a long the cat track?
latest report
Windskisurf wrote:
Am planning on leaving Saturday then coming back 12th March. Am I crazy to be leaving for what could be best dump of season? ?? hmmmm. .. what to do...

Sounds like I DID miss the dump of the season and after snow forecast has disappeared Sad
On my way in on the train to ski this afternoon, where's looking good still for pow?
ski holidays
@Windskisurf, how long are you out there for? The GFS models are looking promising for the end of the month Smile
snow conditions
Hopefully for a month, I got a season pass so I best make use of it. Blush
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy