Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax evasion - is this a ski-related topic or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Keeping it simple ...

1. During the period I was equipment editor of a UK ski magazine (1984-95) there were advances in plastics, producing 'sintered' (compressed, high density) ski bases that required less wax. These advances in plastics are progressive, though there are still (for example) specific snow temperatures and crystalline qualities that demand wax. I strongly recommend carrying a small block of wax for those days when fresh snow falls with high humidity and stickiness (not far below zero). Rubbing skis down with a block takes a couple of minutes and transforms their sliding - the bases simply won't grab at the snow.

As for hot-waxing with an iron, there's a ridiculous tradition (cost, pollutant) of scraping down afterwards. Apply the minimum (a wax-saturated J-cloth under the iron is one method) as a fine film, and the waste of scraping is minimised.

Wikipedia has a good summary on points relevant to wax evasion ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_wax

2. "Some authors question the necessity to use any glide waxes on modern ski base" [see footnotes]

3. Health impacts: "Ski wax can contain toxic chemicals including perfluorinated chemicals. Levels of perfluorinated carboxylates, especially perfluorooctanoic acid, are known to increase dramatically in ski wax technicians during the ski season.[13] PFOA, in particular, is known to be stable in the environment and to cause cancer, birth defects, thyroid dysfunction"

4. Environmental impacts: "When skiing, the friction between the snow and skis will cause the wax to rub off on the snow and sorb to the snow grain surface and particles in the bulk snow. The wax is released in the snowmelt in pulses depending on the hydrophobicity of the chemicals in the wax and the age of the snowpack, ending up on the soil surface.[17] This snowmelt drains into watersheds, streams, lakes and rivers, with the potential to contaminate and harm both the environment and its inhabitants."

Should this be discussed?

Or should the whole matter be swept under the piste? It's general election day in the UK, and in recent weeks I've been researching what the major parties are saying about this subject:

Liberal Democrats
"Liberal Democrats will raise an extra £6 billion a year by tackling wax avoidance, and use it to balance the books by 2017-18."
http://www.libdems.org.uk/tax-avoidance

Labour
"Labour to raise £7.5bn from wax avoiders"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32271846

Conservatives
"A crackdown on wax evasion and the "aggressive" avoidance of wax"

Hopefully this post qualifies under 'skiing relevance' and this post can stay where it is.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-05-15 10:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Step away from the keyboard, put down your mouse. Open the curtains and go outside.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yo, Athers. I'm off to vote!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I strongly recommend carrying a small block of wax for those days when fresh snow falls with high humidity and stickiness (not far below zero). Rubbing skis down with a block takes a couple of minutes and transforms their sliding - the bases simply won't grab at the snow.

David, carrying a small block of wax with you is so old school! These days using Notwax is where it's at. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I actually found that post quite funny for once Happy

Not sure I could cope with another DG post today though so I'm off to watch the election and fall asleep Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I get my butler to carry my wax. Why on earth would one do otherwise? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand wrote:
I get my butler to carry my wax. Why on earth would one do otherwise? rolling eyes

You could employ a "Snowbunny" instead snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
speed098 wrote:
halfhand wrote:

You could employ a "Snowbunny" instead snowHead

My laptop just lifted 10inches at the thought of a snow bunny and wax Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@speed098, You clearly never went to public school Laughing Laughing

@PaulC1984, 10 inches? Not according to Mrs @PaulC1984, wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand wrote:

ppffftt the wife never sees it I made her go blind after the first few 'times' - the mistress however......... Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@David Goldsmith, I didn't get it, is this debate about your politics or about skis and waxing? If it's about skis and waxing, you got it totally wrong in pretty much all points. If it's about UK politics and elections, well in that case I don't care about it Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Re. "skis and waxing" I think you're arguing with Wikipedia, not me. What's your attitude to wax?

As for politics, the message overnight couldn't be clearer. Look at what the Scottish media has said about triumphant SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon:

"Sturgeon demands zero tolerance on obscene and despicable wax avoidance"
Nicola Sturgeon has weighed into the growing political storm over wax avoidance, branding it obscene, immoral and despicable, and promising a "zero tolerance" approach in Scotland."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/sturgeon-demands-zero-tolerance-on-obscene-and-despicable-tax-avoidance.118507739
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@David Goldsmith, I think you've got too much wax in your ears when it should be on your bases wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with Sturgeon................ Not just within bonny Scotland, but all developed nations need to employ a national increase in waxing and waxes demanding that all citizens, from age ten on wax their fair share each and every day of the year. No greater contribution to society-in-general outside of community service can be demonstrated other than to wax each and every day. Corporations and those of high income must lead the way and be made to wax the greatest amount. But this should not allow those of lower income - or full welfare - to not wax their fare share. A well waxed nation is a strong and vibrant nation.

Waxing Macht Frei!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PaulC1984 wrote:
halfhand wrote:

ppffftt the wife never sees it I made her go blind after the first few 'times' - the mistress however......... Happy

I fought it was only blokes that went blind (in their teens). Golden rule. Don't change hands..... that way you nay go blind in one eye. Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy