Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA for over 40s?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My girlfriend and I have skied with UCPA quite a lot now, we're both 22 but we usually notice a few people who are, one might suspect, a tad over the advertised "19-40 year old" requirements. Does anyone know what the deal is with this? Will they just turn a blind eye if everyone gets stuck in with the UCPA way? And does it depend on how busy the centre is?

We're getting quite a big crew together for Christmas week this year which includes a few friends who are over 40. Given mixed budgets, it would be cool if we could all stay at UCPA instead of splitting up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I happened to be speaking with the boss at L2A UCPA a couple of weeks ago in a bar there. He said I'd be OK going and I'm well over 50 Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Having just been on a UCPA trip in Feb to Les Arc I had the same question myself before I booked. I saw the 19-40 age bracket on the Action Outdoors website. I am 36 and was afraid that I would be the Granddad of my group and feel a bit out of place. However - it turned out that I was the youngest in my ski group! We discussed this point with the guys at UCPA and they said it was/is open to anyone up to 60 or even older. There were a lot of people over 40 - even 50 at the centre. I wouldn't worry about it. Seems to be open to all Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went on my first UCPA holiday when I was just north of 40, and I've been on a few more since then. Whilst the vast majority are in their twenties and thirties, there are always a respectable number of coffin dodgers... usually Germans and Scandinavians. I was told that age is only ever an issue during peak periods, so avoid the French holidays. If you're booking through AO it's worth letting them know, their online booking system says no if your date of birth doesn't fit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As I understand it, UCPA was set up as a not for profit with the aim of encouraging young French adults to undertake outdoor sports. As such they have to promote to their core audience. However, now that a number of generations have grown up with UCPA the 'rules' around the target ages have relaxed somewhat. UCPA now hosts specific weeks for older clients and are happy to welcome returning guests of any age. I've even seen three generations of father, son and grandson staying in LA Plagne once. The main point of the age guide is that the 18-40s are still the main client base and UCPA want ALL of their clients to enjoy their holiday. Generally older clients, unless they already know what they are letting themselves in for, or are on a specific week set aside for a larger proportion of older clients, usually tend to find the atmosphere in the centres a little too loud and may not have the great experience that UCPA would wish them too.... But, if you know the deal, understand what you are signing up to or are in a more mixed age range / ability group, just give action-outdoors a ring and they will sort out the booking for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scampi Dellahanti, +1

Phone Action Outdoors to clarify things for you, and to put your mind at rest. If you have been before you hit 40 then no problem at all. I read on the AO website the off-piste/freeriding is open up to 55 years old. If you understand what it is all about then no worries. I am nearly 10 years over the limit and there are people much older than me, on some occasions.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very helpful, thank you everyone! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy