Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Try something new in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear Snow heads

with home improvements etc this year we did not get away on our annual ski trip much to my disappointment. We have had great recommendations from posting on this site the last few years and Schladming and Saalbach were 2 great choices for my wife and 10yr old. We are looking to book early to pick up a discount but we are also flexible on organising our own trip and it does not have to be in half term. Just would like to know if there is another great recommendation for Austria, We may also consider Italy having cycled in the dolomites in the summer a few times as well!

Thanks again for your thoughts
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@madmac1, In Austria I would suggest looking at the Zillertal valley. Although Mayrhofen is the best known resort in the valley there is also great skiing at Zell am Ziller (Arena ski area) and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen (Hochzillertal ski area). These resorts along the valley are linked by the narrowgauge Zillertalbahn railway (and skibusses) which is included in the Zillertal skipass.

UK Tour Operators tend to either only go to Mayrhofen (or sometimes Zell am Ziller). You say you are also flexible on organising your own trip - that would allow you to stay anywhere in the valley. The nearest airports are either Innsbruck or Munich (incidentally Lufthansa do very reasonably priced flights into Munich which also includes free ski carriage). You can either rent a car at the airport, or travel by train from these airports is very easy - you just change from the mainline at Jenbach onto the Zillertalbahn which goes all the way up the valley as far as Mayrhofen. Incidentally at the top of the valley is the Hintertux glacier which provides an insurance if (unlikely) the snow conditions lower down in the valley should be poor.

If you should opt for DIY I can recommend the Hotel Alpina in the small village of Ried (the skibus to the nearby Kaltenbach gondola base station stops right outside).

In the Dolomites I would recommend the Val Gardena valley with its resorts of Selva/Wolkenstein, St Christina, and Ortisei/St Ulrich.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@madmac1, If Schladming and Saalbach were the right thing for you then I would think Kitzbühel would also tick the right boxes. It's an increasingly enormous ski area, especially if you take in the Ski Welt as well, which I think can be done these days. Definitely recommended. Other than that, the usual candidates such as St.Anton ( but only if you like steeps and off piste ) and Ischgl.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brill thanks for your replies and information and I will look into these options. Much appreciated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy